British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   High Street Shops in US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/high-street-shops-us-594753/)

simmo2010 Mar 1st 2009 12:14 pm

High Street Shops in US

Hey! We are moving to America, Atlanta within the next 3 weeks and one thing bugging my wife is there is a distinct lack of trendy mid-priced womens clothes shops, such as River Island, Warehouse, Miss Selfridge etc... it seems you either have to go for veg out clothes from Gap or American Eagle or pay high end designer prices from places in Buckhead! Anyone can help maybe it is just our lack of experience!?

ellimere Mar 1st 2009 12:54 pm

Re: High Street Shops in US

Originally Posted by simmo2010 (Post 7334423)
Hey! We are moving to America, Atlanta within the next 3 weeks and one thing bugging my wife is there is a distinct lack of trendy mid-priced womens clothes shops, such as River Island, Warehouse, Miss Selfridge etc... it seems you either have to go for veg out clothes from Gap or American Eagle or pay high end designer prices from places in Buckhead! Anyone can help maybe it is just our lack of experience!?

I miss high streets period. :(

There are shops like "Vanity" here in Indiana and West something that I guess are more like Miss Selfridge/Topshop back home. Old Navy is okay as well for basic colours. There's also Abercrombie and Fitch and Banana Republic.

robskatie Mar 1st 2009 2:17 pm

Some stores that I can think of that are similar to high st stores
Forever 21
H&M
Charlotte Russe
Old Navy
New York & Co
Kohls
Papaya
Target does some great seasonal clothes :)

Ross
TJ Maxx
Marshalls

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2009 2:31 pm

GAP and AE are hardly "veg out clothes" to be honest (though they wouldn't be my choice either), so not really sure what your wife is looking for.

mellybrown Mar 1st 2009 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie (Post 7334676)
Some stores that I can think of that are similar to high st stores
Forever 21
H&M
Charlotte Russe
Old Navy
New York & Co
Kohls
Papaya
Target does some great seasonal clothes :)

Ross
TJ Maxx
Marshalls

I agree with all these stores - where in atlanta will you be?? I lived by Perimeter mall and hated the shops there - they were all too high end and not for me at all - I like the malls with shoppable shops!!!!

Catgirl Mar 1st 2009 2:46 pm

I say don't even waste your time or money here trying to find decent, reasonably priced clothes. Save your money and take a trip to London once a year for all your fashion needs.

Hiro11 Mar 1st 2009 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Catgirl (Post 7334735)
I say don't even waste your time or money here trying to find decent, reasonably priced clothes. Save your money and take a trip to London once a year for all your fashion needs.

... not true if you live in a major city.

Catgirl Mar 1st 2009 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 7334741)

You're right, I'm sure.

SpoogleDrummer Mar 1st 2009 2:52 pm

Either I'm really unfashionable (which is likely) or I have a different idea as to what is reasonable. I've found stuff much cheaper here since I moved though I tend not to bother shopping much as my mom keeps a steady stream of clothes in the mail. Some of my favourite trousers I bought here are Levis that were only $20 from JC Penney, though I am a scruffy programmer/skateboarder type:p Depends on your age etc I think.

Orangepants Mar 1st 2009 4:34 pm

Express and The Limited are very similar to Warehouse. Ann Taylor Loft also is ok, bit more for work clothes though. White House/ Black Market is a bit more formal but for trendy clothes you'll find small boutiques in the bigger cities and they are a bit more expensive I agree. Take a trip to NY - fabulous shopping!
I shop in the "boutiques" within the dept stores - BCBG is my favourite. The good thing about the US is the almost constant sales - roughly every 6 weeks as they offload "one short season" as another delivery comes. BCBG have 70% off sales all the time.
I look forward to my yearly trip to Atlanta to shop. OH plays footie whilst I shop then we both make the most of the fabulous restaurants there.
IMO the US has a much more casual culture, fashion and dressing up is not the norm, apart from work of course - people turned up to our christmas party in what I would wear to do the gardening!!

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 7334741)

or have a computer!!

Ray Mar 1st 2009 4:51 pm

Walmart
KMart

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7335005)
Walmart
KMart

Is that where you get your dungarees and shooting attire ??:rofl:;)

Ray Mar 1st 2009 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7335015)
Is that where you get your dungarees and shooting attire ??:rofl:;)

I only have shorts and Tshirts.. thats all we need

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7335021)
I only have shorts and Tshirts.. thats all we need

good for you! don't forget the socks to wear with your sandals and a handkerchief for your head :D