Reload this Page >

High School Diploma?

High School Diploma?

Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

TartanScotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High School Diploma?

Hi guys,

I'm a Permanent Resident living in the US. I've been offered a great a job, but they want proof of a High School Diploma. I did finish my 4 years of High School, but as you all know, we don't get Diploma's in the UK.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? as I really need/want the job.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:28 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: High School Diploma?

You could always get your GED. Thats a high school diploma equivalent
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Yeah I was thinking about getting my GED for the future, but the company want me to start on Wed 20th.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Show them your Standard Grade certificate and explain that is what you get after 4 years of school in Scotland.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I just showed my certificate with my finals results on, 6 CSE's back in the day. That seemed to suffice.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to show proof of "High School Education" for my current job - Like you, I'd already gotten the job so it was a formality for HRs records. I gave them a copy of my GCSE and A level results with a covering letter explaining that it was effectively the same. If you don't have any A levels, I wouldn't sweat it - I'd just send the GCSE(or Scottish equivalent) results and explain the same.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help guys,

I did call my old high school at 3am TX time, 9am UK time. Spoke with them, told them the story.

I was told they do NOT have any records kept on computer dating that far back, they also have no writing records on file anymore as it turns out they are in the middle of moving location and the school is being demolished next month.

They gave the link for (SQA.org.uk) I spoke with them in hope to obtain a copy of my Standard Grade Certificate (as my old one has been long lost) they told me the price and how long it would take to get them (up to 8 weeks, omg)

Just spoke with the woman at the HR about the job, they want proof of a High School Dipolma, so it looks like I may not get the job after all.... oh well.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.freediplomatemplates.com/
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TartanScotsman
Thanks for the help guys,

I did call my old high school at 3am TX time, 9am UK time. Spoke with them, told them the story.

I was told they do NOT have any records kept on computer dating that far back, they also have no writing records on file anymore as it turns out they are in the middle of moving location and the school is being demolished next month.

They gave the link for (SQA.org.uk) I spoke with them in hope to obtain a copy of my Standard Grade Certificate (as my old one has been long lost) they told me the price and how long it would take to get them (up to 8 weeks, omg)

Just spoke with the woman at the HR about the job, they want proof of a High School Dipolma, so it looks like I may not get the job after all.... oh well.
With all respect, the woman in HR probably has no clue what other schools in other countries give students once they complete school. She may be under the impression that ALL schools give diplomas. I would tell her that you can get a copy of your exam certificate which you only get upon completing 4 years of high school but it will take 8 weeks (or less) to get. Would it be possible for the SQA to fax/email/scan a copy to you prior to it being mailed?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SarahG
With all respect, the woman in HR probably has no clue what other schools in other countries give students once they complete school. She may be under the impression that ALL schools give diplomas. I would tell her that you can get a copy of your exam certificate which you only get upon completing 4 years of high school but it will take 8 weeks (or less) to get. Would it be possible for the SQA to fax/email/scan a copy to you prior to it being mailed?
The woman at the HR office did infact have no clue what i was talking about, people are shocked when I tell them we do NOT give High School Diplomas.

Just spoke with the woman again via email, she told her boss the story and he said I would need to get my GED, and I would need to have it by Wed the 20th at the latest? lol. To get a GED within 4 days, no chance.

The SQA told me they do not fax outside of the UK, nor would they be able to scan a copy for me.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, that is exactly what is happening - The US really is the land of paperwork dotting i's and crossing t's. As an expat you often come up against some 'square peg round hole' stuff - this being a prime example.

I assume they are hiring you for this position based on experience rather than some piece of paper from years ago? They often lose sight of that - if I were you I'd get directly with the person who hired you (not HR), explain the situation to him/her, advise them it will be up to 8 weeks and can you move forward without that one piece of paper for now, please. The more communicating you can do with them to explain the situation the better. Good luck with it!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

The woman at the HR office did infact have no clue what i was talking about, people are shocked when I tell them we do NOT give High School Diplomas.

Just spoke with the woman again via email, she told her boss the story and he said I would need to get my GED, and I would need to have it by Wed the 20th at the latest? lol. To get a GED within 4 days, no chance.

The SQA told me they do not fax outside of the UK, nor would they be able to scan a copy for me.
That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!
Yeah I thought so as well.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I thought so as well.
I managed to get a US diploma and graduated high school in Michigan after only doing my senior year. They took into account my Scottish Standard Grade results and Highers and I just went to classes for a year. I got the whole cap and gown thing and now I have a little piece of paper with fancy writing on it. It basically says you went to school for 4 years. Doesn't say what your grades are! You could be a complete moron and just scrape by in school and get a diploma. In Scotland (and rest of UK) you get certificate that says what your grades are. Which is more beneficial?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

I'm just looking online right now to see how I go about getting my GED, I may as well go ahead and get, gonna need it at some point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.