Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hidden expenses of family life in US?

Hidden expenses of family life in US?

Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hidden expenses of family life in US?

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
well if they set the rate and then stuck with it, that would be like everyone paying the frozen prop 13 rate. if they stuck the rate TODAY, then people moving in 15yrs from now would be paying that same low low rate. Yes, all the residents would be paying similar amounts, but they would be at a yester-year rate. I'd love to buy a house and pay taxes from 15yrs ago, but the state would lose far more money under that method. .....
How about states spent only what their residents can afford, so tax increase in $ terms are effectively linked to product/ service inflation, and that spending was on ESSENTIAL services, like roads, education, trading standards, restaurant inspections, etc.and not on "nice to haves" like twin-city programs, "outreach" activities, and tax-breaks for for-profit businesses. It's just a thought.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How about states spent only what their residents can afford, so tax increase in $ terms are effectively linked to product/ service inflation, and that spending was on ESSENTIAL services, like roads, education, trading standards, restaurant inspections, etc.and not on "nice to haves" like twin-city programs, "outreach" activities, and tax-breaks for for-profit businesses. It's just a thought.
sounds fantastic. I'll add that to the list, one notch down from world peace.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 3:36 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect the big problem is that it is seasonal but the facilities have to be maintained and paid for year around. If they could find someplace where they could pitch tents, have everyone bring their own equipment, and do simple things where kids had to rough it and pitch in, I suspect the price would drop significantly.
Boy Scouts.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Boy Scouts.
But then you'll have all those "homos" around to infect your children.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:28 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
But then you'll have all those "homos" around to infect your children.
Well times are changing. In all seriousness, I think the Boy Scouts are an under appreciated organization. Nearly all the leaders are voluntary and parents of the kids in their group. They have good facilities that are maintained much by volunteer effort. My son spent 1 year as a cub and 1 as a scout...week long camps in the summer as I recall were under $100 with aid for those unable to pay. This was back in around 1994-1995.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

vtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the deal with a tax break on a car purchased before you move? We've been approached by these cos that sell cars to visa holders planning a move to US. I don't think we'll use them-- I've maintained my credit in the US. but would it be a good idea to buy a car before we move for tax reasons?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Bank charges.
Sales tax.
Tipping.
What bank charges? I've never paid any. Bank with a local Savings & Loan or a Credit Union, and the bank will pay you interest on your checking account.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What bank charges? I've never paid any. Bank with a local Savings & Loan or a Credit Union, and the bank will pay you interest on your checking account.
Seems to vary by region, in some places it can be rather difficult to find a bank or credit union offering free accounts these days unless you maintain some stupid high daily balance.

That said, the fees in the US tend to still be lower then north of the border where its pretty much impossible to avoid banking fees, even credit unions charge them.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Seems to vary by region, in some places it can be rather difficult to find a bank or credit union offering free accounts these days unless you maintain some stupid high daily balance.

That said, the fees in the US tend to still be lower then north of the border where its pretty much impossible to avoid banking fees, even credit unions charge them.
Our Canadian bank is TD...we don't pay banking fees.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Our Canadian bank is TD...we don't pay banking fees.
I use RBC and TD, TD is 14.95/month and RBC is 10.95/month.

Only way to avoid fees is to have high income and be able to maintain the stupid high balances.

On TD's cheapest account you need to maintain a 2,500 monthly balance, I don't even make that much in a month, let alone maintain a balance of that size.

The account I have requires a 3,500 monthly balance to avoid the fee.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I get interest on my checking account; most months I get 1¢.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:03 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

It's like the commercials that say "we pay 5 x more interest than other banks". Well 0.05 % is no different to 0.01% as far as I'm concerned!
They both round to nothing!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
It's like the commercials that say "we pay 5 x more interest than other banks". Well 0.05 % is no different to 0.01% as far as I'm concerned!
They both round to nothing!
I was shopping around recently, as we wanted a better interest rate on our own Chase savings account, plus we wanted to open savings accounts for the kids.

You can get 0.9% from a few places online. We went with GE Capital Bank, but there are others. Barclays have recently set themselves up as an online-only retail bank in the US, and have the same rate, but they are my UK bank, and I don't trust them enough to maintain that rate medium- or long-term.

The best rate by far available locally at a brick-and-mortar bank is 0.75% at Capital One. Almost everything else is 0.1% or worse, bank or credit union.

Even 0.9% is tiny compared to the gains the stock market has made in the last year, but it's better than nothing.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I obviously have a far superior bank; my interest comes in at a steady 3c per month. (Now if I only had a cents symbol on my computer . . . )
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I obviously have a far superior bank; my interest comes in at a steady 3c per month. (Now if I only had a cents symbol on my computer . . . )
ALT+0162

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.