Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hidden expenses of family life in US?

Hidden expenses of family life in US?

Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hidden expenses of family life in US?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I remember when I first moved to NJ that I was going to join the gym at a YMCA/YWCA (mostly just called 'the Y' as far as I can tell).

I remember being shocked at the annual fees - so I didn't bother joining.

The biggest sticker shock was the price of Summer Camps....my son went to one in MA - we thought it would be nice to immerse him in American culture, even though I wasn't working, but it's like a ghost town in our town during the Summer as all the kids go away for a few weeks.

It was cheaper for my daughter (during her Gap Year) to spend nearly 5 months in India & the Himalayas - including flights from LHR, domestic flights, accommodation, food etc. than it was for my son to stay at Camp Half Moon in the Berkshires, MA for nearly 5 weeks! Btw - the 'camp counsellors' were all British university students on a BUNAC work programme in the US and one was from my hometown lol! He didn't even like it that much, they were basically staying in wooden huts which weren't much bigger than our garden shed!

http://www.camphalfmoon.com

http://www.camphalfmoon.com/sleep-away-camp/rates-dates

http://www.ventureco-worldwide.com/asia/india/
I pay $66 per month for full membership of the YMCA in Ridgewood. I can go to all the classes and use the pool. My gym membership in NW London was £45 per month and it didn't have half the facilities.

I agree with your point about the expense of the summer camps, especially if the child is not really that into the whole thing anyway. The sleep away ones are still very expensive in this neck of the woods - around 6k for 5/6 weeks. As I do not work it is pretty pointless forking out that amount of money for something that our daughter would absolutely hate. I would rather use the equivalent amount of money to plan a 5 week trip around the US, or go even further afield. DD is very keen to go to Florida though as all her US school friends have been there!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

It was cheaper for my daughter (during her Gap Year) to spend nearly 5 months in India & the Himalayas - including flights from LHR, domestic flights, accommodation, food etc. than it was for my son to stay at Camp Half Moon in the Berkshires, MA for nearly 5 weeks!
The one I worked at, lo, those many moons ago when I was a student now charges 10,000 USD for the full season - but then you get a camper/staff ratio of 3:1 IIRC. I think you get your money's worth, but you have to have the money.

http://www.bucksrockcamp.com/

I wish I could afford to send my two.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

It was cheaper for my daughter (during her Gap Year) to spend nearly 5 months in India & the Himalayas - including flights from LHR, domestic flights, accommodation, food etc. than it was for my son to stay at Camp Half Moon in the Berkshires, MA for nearly 5 weeks!
Yeah but you emigrated to the US not India. There's probably a good reason for that.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if the whole summer camp thing is more regional? I don't know anyone that went to summer camp for 5 weeks during the summer. The only summer camps I even heard of in my area only lasted around 1week, and not many of my friends (if any) went to that. I would say this isn't a normal expense for many US families.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I'm wondering if the whole summer camp thing is more regional? I don't know anyone that went to summer camp for 5 weeks during the summer. The only summer camps I even heard of in my area only lasted around 1week, and not many of my friends (if any) went to that. I would say this isn't a normal expense for many US families.
Could be...but almost all the kids at the two schools my daughter attended went to camp for the whole summer.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:41 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Could be...but almost all the kids at the two schools my daughter attended went to camp for the whole summer.
I think that is so sad

My daughter loves going away to camp, but 1 week blocks are enough for all of us.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I think that is so sad

My daughter loves going away to camp, but 1 week blocks are enough for all of us.
So do I.

My daughter or her European friend didn't go to camp. In her junior year at high school she went to Penn State Uni for a 6 week forensics course...but she spent most weekends with us in a nearby hotel. She was glad to get a comfy room and bathroom of her own.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yeah but you emigrated to the US not India. There's probably a good reason for that.
They must be making a packet though. The local day camp is run using near-slave schoolkid labour.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They must be making a packet though. The local day camp is run using near-slave schoolkid labour.
Not sure I'd like the insurance premiums they must run to.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

good quality second hand cars
car insurance
Spectacles (if you don't go online)
Bank charges
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sales tax on second-hand goods. Surprised me the first time in the vintage market.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the big problem is that it is seasonal but the facilities have to be maintained and paid for year around. If they could find someplace where they could pitch tents, have everyone bring their own equipment, and do simple things where kids had to rough it and pitch in, I suspect the price would drop significantly.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect the big problem is that it is seasonal but the facilities have to be maintained and paid for year around. If they could find someplace where they could pitch tents, have everyone bring their own equipment, and do simple things where kids had to rough it and pitch in, I suspect the price would drop significantly.
Not really. This one is just sports in school facilities and trips to theme parks.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sales tax on second-hand goods. Surprised me the first time in the vintage market.
Especially used cars...that's a huge amount of tax to pay.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Especially used cars...that's a huge amount of tax to pay.
It is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.