Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi and questions

Hi and questions

Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi and questions

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Hi,
If you can even find the stuff. We have an English store in the next town.And World Market sell some. I got 4 choc bars from there last month and came to $6 odd. Just regular lion bar and caramel etc.Good job im not a chocolate addict.It would get really expensive.
I ate a whole can of Ambosia custard & a Heinz treacle pudding to myself last night LOL. I'd found them a while back in a store & because they are so dear, I'd saved them for a treat. I waited til the kids where in bed and scoffed the lot.
Felt totally sick after but it was soooo good!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:05 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Did they say why you shouldn't bring much food? I know there was a customs change about bringing food over after I moved but I think I'd find out why they said that.

Missing simple things like your fave food can be a kicker when you're adapting to a new lifestyle & culture. I know you will be with your family so settling might not be so hard as for some, but I underestimated the whole culture shock & environment change. Most of it you can't do anything about so it feels good to have home comforts if and when you can.
We moved over in Oct 2005. Our shippers checked what food items we could bring in and the permitted list is quite long. We were ok with teabags, coffee, mixes, sauces, tinned goods,cosmetic things, bottled juice, herbs , spices, small amount of alcohol.
We had litres and litres of spirits because my dad had collected whisky and I ended up with it all and lots of OH's patients had given him gin, vodka, more whisky over the years.
I really wanted to bring my dad's malt whisky over because I don't have much of his and it was so important to him.
The shippers said no and I refused to believe them and so the shipping agent checked the whole thing through and that was how we ended up with the official list of what we could and couldn't bring. It was quite extensive and we brought a lot of food items with us.
And no we couldn't bring the booze
In PA we would have had to apply for a liquor licence to bring it in and that is expensive and we couldn't apply until the stuff was at the docks. That would have meant the container going into storage for up to 3 months, the company wouldn't pay storage, we needed our stuff blah, blah ,blah.
We gave it all away.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

I ate a whole can of Ambosia custard & a Heinz treacle pudding to myself last night LOL. I'd found them a while back in a store & because they are so dear, I'd saved them for a treat. I waited til the kids where in bed and scoffed the lot.
Felt totally sick after but it was soooo good!
jesus christ just what i needed to read. i can taste it now sliding down my throat, the custard with a little skin on the top, creamy and piping hot. And the treacle pudding ,, ohhhh as it touches ur lips and burns the buggers but dont stop u gobbling it down does it. Did u lick the bowl after. AHH better than sex any day. Did u get ur fingers in the custard tin after to get the last remaining stuff out .
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
jesus christ just what i needed to read. i can taste it now sliding down my throat, the custard with a little skin on the top, creamy and piping hot. And the treacle pudding ,, ohhhh as it touches ur lips and burns the buggers but dont stop u gobbling it down does it. Did u lick the bowl after. AHH better than sex any day. Did u get ur fingers in the custard tin after to get the last remaining stuff out .
Steady on now Deedee...go and take a cold shower.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
OMG! That has made me cry laughing
yeah, I burned the roof of my mouth off it was so bloody hot, but it was just too good. Sides, if I let it cool down, mu husband might have wanted some. uh uh, getcha hands OFF.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jumping doris
And no we couldn't bring the booze
In PA we would have had to apply for a liquor licence to bring it in and that is expensive and we couldn't apply until the stuff was at the docks. That would have meant the container going into storage for up to 3 months, the company wouldn't pay storage, we needed our stuff blah, blah ,blah.
We gave it all away.
oh no!!
I won't rub it in by telling you had cheap my storage was
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:42 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

oh no!!
I won't rub it in by telling you had cheap my storage was
It wasn't just the storage. They wouldn't have paid for the transportation from the docks at NY to Pittsburgh either. The liquor licence was expensive and we would have been without furniture etc for up to 3 months. As it was we lived in an empty house, just airbeds and paper plates for 7 weeks.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jumping doris
It wasn't just the storage. They wouldn't have paid for the transportation from the docks at NY to Pittsburgh either. The liquor licence was expensive and we would have been without furniture etc for up to 3 months. As it was we lived in an empty house, just airbeds and paper plates for 7 weeks.
Just teasing I know what a PITA it all is. My stuff ended up in storage at the docks for 6 months b/c no-one bothered to inform me it had cleared customs & they were waiting for my ok to send it. duh! By the time I got it, I'd bought loads of new clothes & furniture and didn't need most of it.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:33 pm
Who?

Just teasing I know what a PITA it all is. My stuff ended up in storage at the docks for 6 months b/c no-one bothered to inform me it had cleared customs & they were waiting for my ok to send it. duh! By the time I got it, I'd bought loads of new clothes & furniture and didn't need most of it.
When it all arrived, nothing was broken....sadly.
I realised that we had brought a load of cr*p with us and I wish the boat had sunk on the way over.(with no loss of life!)
We still haven't unpacked half of it. It all got shoved into the attic and there it has stayed.