Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi and questions

Hi and questions

Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:17 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi and questions

Originally Posted by MancMan
Laptop keyboard wil be slightly different. You could probably get an american USB keyboard that will make typing in American english easier.
I don't think the keyboard has anything to do with it, actually. If you're used to typing American symbols on a British-style keyboard, then it shouldn't make any difference if you already have a British keyboard.

We still use Mark's British keyboard with no problems. Under his login, his preferences are set so he uses the British keyboard layout (which, in actuality, it is). However, under my login, my preferences are set up so that the keys correspond to an American keyboard, since I am accustomed to typing with an American keyboard.

So, when I'm logged in and type Shift-3 it comes out as the American #, but if Mark's logged in and types Shift-3, it comes out as the British pound sign. If I need to type the British pound sign, I use Alt-code 0163 to get £ and that usually does the trick.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I don't think the keyboard has anything to do with it, actually. If you're used to typing American symbols on a British-style keyboard, then it shouldn't make any difference if you already have a British keyboard.

We still use Mark's British keyboard with no problems. Under his login, his preferences are set so he uses the British keyboard layout (which, in actuality, it is). However, under my login, my preferences are set up so that the keys correspond to an American keyboard, since I am accustomed to typing with an American keyboard.

So, when I'm logged in and type Shift-3 it comes out as the American #, but if Mark's logged in and types Shift-3, it comes out as the British pound sign. If I need to type the British pound sign, I use Alt-code 0163 to get £ and that usually does the trick.

~ Jenney
Could you explain more re Alt-code 0163? I'm forever trying to make that sign in word or email ... what exactly do you hit?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:08 pm
The OC

MancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really nice

~ Jenney

Maybe

But as a sys admin, it was a pain in the arse when the \ and the | symbols move to the other side off the keyboard.

My scripts turned to crap for a while :-)
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MancMan
Maybe

But as a sys admin, it was a pain in the arse when the \ and the | symbols move to the other side off the keyboard.

My scripts turned to crap for a while :-)
tild key...and dos...remember the joys of that one?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Could you explain more re Alt-code 0163? I'm forever trying to make that sign in word or email ... what exactly do you hit?
alt 156 is easier to remember...
hold the alt key and using the number keys on the right, hit the numbers... £
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
alt 156 is easier to remember...
hold the alt key and using the number keys on the right, hit the numbers... £
Rats, doesn't do it for me. I have a laptop, so don't have a separate numeric pad on the right.

I'm sure there is some easy way, but I haven't found it yet.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Rats, doesn't do it for me. I have a laptop, so don't have a separate numeric pad on the right.

I'm sure there is some easy way, but I haven't found it yet.
function key, blue one, if you have one, hold that instead.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
function key, blue one, if you have one, hold that instead.
yay - ££££££££ - just celebrating

Thanks - I needed function + alt + 156
Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:25 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

yay - ££££££££ - just celebrating

Thanks - I needed function + alt + 156
For years I've used this webpage as my Alt-codes guide. This guide has Alt-0163 as £, not Alt-156.

However, I googled "Alt-156" and found THIS webpage that shows both options. Interesting and educational.

~ Jenney[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Just Jenney; Mar 9th 2007 at 5:29 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

For years I've used this webpage as my Alt-codes guide. This guide has Alt-0163 as £, not Alt-156.

However, I googled "Alt-156" and found THIS webpage that shows both options. Interesting and educational.

~ Jenney
[/QUOTE]
aye, there's a few for each jobby, depends on the font, but they all look the same, and it's what ever is easiest to remember ain't it
Old Mar 10th 2007, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Chesterfield is a very lovely little town, very pituresque...I'm sure you'll like it there

As everyone has said before, I wouldn't worry about bringing electronics as you'll find them much cheaper over here than using an adapter of any kind... please do focus on Brit food items you like such as tea bags and biccies and such, you can find them over here, but they're expensive.

Wehn we moved over here yonks back, I had boxes of tea bags, gravy granles and such that at the time I knew wasn't to be found over here, and when my first visitors came over, I asked them to fill up a suitcase with more and bring them to me...now everyone brings me stuff and I always have a HEAVY case filled with goodies on my way back from being home too.

Good luck with your new arrival and have a safe journey over here.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move!!

I brought my pc over & now use a US keyboard as my British one finally died. I ignore the symbols on it though - I have my pc set to UK English & just remember where they old keys are & use them.

I also brought my VCR so I could watch my old videos but ended up throwing it - and the videos - in the bin because the cord to the US TV was all wrong.

Fooood! Orange squash & Ribena & stuff like that. I can get Ribena but it's $8 for a tiny bottle. Choc digestives are $5 for a half size packet. Marmite. Cadbury's chocolate because the most of the cadbury's here is really made by waxy Herschey's (barf!). Half my cargo was food & drink when I came.
I miss a big kettle too & at 120V, even the tiny one I have takes ages to boil.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:07 am
Just Joined

mcc22 will become famous soon enoughmcc22 will become famous soon enough

Thanks to all for responses, I cannot believe how expensive things like Ribena are going to be! Our shipping company had said that we should ship food items at all but if we want to try to do one small box we can but having heard the costs I think I will definately be shipping some stuff.

Didn't even think about the keyboard diffs but think I will stick with the UK one.

Tracy
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcc22
Thanks to all for responses, I cannot believe how expensive things like Ribena are going to be! Our shipping company had said that we should ship food items at all but if we want to try to do one small box we can but having heard the costs I think I will definately be shipping some stuff.

Didn't even think about the keyboard diffs but think I will stick with the UK one.

Tracy
Did they say why you shouldn't bring much food? I know there was a customs change about bringing food over after I moved but I think I'd find out why they said that.

Missing simple things like your fave food can be a kicker when you're adapting to a new lifestyle & culture. I know you will be with your family so settling might not be so hard as for some, but I underestimated the whole culture shock & environment change. Most of it you can't do anything about so it feels good to have home comforts if and when you can.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcc22

Tracy
Hi,
If you can even find the stuff. We have an English store in the next town.And World Market sell some. I got 4 choc bars from there last month and came to $6 odd. Just regular lion bar and caramel etc.Good job im not a chocolate addict.It would get really expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.