British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hi from Phoenix (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hi-phoenix-635739/)

Retseh Oct 14th 2009 8:51 pm

Hi from Phoenix

Hi all

Thought I'd best at least introduce myself as my last thread got locked because I sounded like I was selling pensions :D

I'm Mike from Phoenix, married to a wonderful American girl for many years and working as an IT Audit Manager (trust me, I WISH I was a pensions advisor). Been in the US 8 years, and finally feel like a permanent resident, I'm originally from Cheshire.

Yes Phoenix is hot, yes we have scorpions in the house and an occasional bad tempered rattlesnake in the yard. No I don't miss England, but I do miss the food.

My summary on America:

1. Nice people
2. Corrupt companies
3. Rude police officers
4. Lousy food
5. Great standard of living
6. Good health care but a lousy health system
7. Archaic tax system
8. Great open spaces / no over-crowding
9. Right minded when it comes to dealing with criminals

Now does anyone want to buy a pension ?? :eek:

meauxna Oct 14th 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Hi from Phoenix

lol, good move, Mike. Nice to meetcha. :)

BenNv Oct 14th 2009 9:04 pm

Hey where in Phoenix do you live?

Retseh Oct 14th 2009 9:22 pm

I'm all the way in south valley, Ahwatukee to be precise, hence the scorpions and rattlers.

Forgot to add that I'm a US citizen as well, so I have that whole dual passport malarky going on.

fatbrit Oct 14th 2009 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Retseh (Post 8016953)
I'm all the way in south valley, Ahwatukee to be precise, hence the scorpions and rattlers.

Forgot to add that I'm a US citizen as well, so I have that whole dual passport malarky going on.

Nice place.....as long as you don't have a 9-5 job anywhere but Ahwatukee!

Arizona Wurzel Oct 14th 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Retseh (Post 8016882)
Hi all

Thought I'd best at least introduce myself as my last thread got locked because I sounded like I was selling pensions :D

I'm Mike from Phoenix, married to a wonderful American girl for many years and working as an IT Audit Manager (trust me, I WISH I was a pensions advisor). Been in the US 8 years, and finally feel like a permanent resident, I'm originally from Cheshire.

Yes Phoenix is hot, yes we have scorpions in the house and an occasional bad tempered rattlesnake in the yard. No I don't miss England, but I do miss the food.

My summary on America:

1. Nice people
2. Corrupt companies
3. Rude police officers
4. Lousy food
7. Archaic tax system

Welcome to the Valley of the Sun. I have been in the valley 29 years,was in Chester a few years ago.One of my best friends lives in Thornton Hough on the Wirral.

BenNv Oct 14th 2009 9:42 pm

Ahwatukee is a very nice area of Phoenix! I always wanted to live in Phoenix to be honest!

Noorah101 Oct 14th 2009 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Retseh (Post 8016953)

Hi back atcha from Mesa! Well, actually from work at the moment...Phoenix, near the airport. :)

Rene

geeandtee Oct 14th 2009 10:32 pm

Greetings from the far SE valley, Coolidge to be precise. Seven and a half years and my eyebrows aren't singed off yet.

But, probably not for much longer. Back to blighty after Christmas.

Sue Oct 15th 2009 1:32 am

Hi ya. Welcome to BE.

Norri Oct 15th 2009 5:48 am

Hi from Glendale too, looks like we have all points of the compass covered. :)

Steerpike Oct 15th 2009 7:52 am

Hi from Scottsdale ... I'm a part-time resident (looking like 80%+ at the moment, can't seem to get away).

What I've learned in my 8 months here is, it is HOT in July/Aug/Sept - very hot - but apart from that, wonderful weather. And the north-eastern parts of the state are both cooler and beautiful (Show Low, Payson, Sedona (which is slightly north-west!).

Regarding your comment on 'rude cops' - I was pulled over by the cops last week - suspected drunken driving - they were super-civil, asked lots of questions, gave me a quick sobriety test, let me go - couldn't ask for better treatment (I hadn't had a drink - just driving home from work at 11pm).

Regarding 'lousy food' - I'm struggling to cope with the restaurants after 25 years of SF Bay Area (where the food is better than anywhere in the world) but I am finding good stuff around Scottsdale. Luckily I get to go back to SF each month and I totally pig-out on great Chinese, etc. 'Sprouts' and 'Whole Foods Market' sells great fresh fish, which I'm eating at home more and more.

Tempe's Mill Ave has some pretty eclectic dining choices too. And there's always Qdoba and Chipotle for fast and fabulous Mexican!

Englishtart Oct 15th 2009 12:12 pm

Welcome to BE Mike, I'm in Illinois, but originally from Cheshire too (Stockport area) ;)

another bloody yank Oct 15th 2009 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 8016963)
Nice place.....as long as you don't have a 9-5 job anywhere but Ahwatukee!

No comment from you on bullet #9?

Oh, hello, Mike.

Dan725 Oct 15th 2009 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Retseh (Post 8016882)
Hi all

My summary on America:

1. Nice people
2. Corrupt companies
3. Rude police officers
4. Lousy food
7. Archaic tax system

Hi Mike.

Not a bad list....not had a problem with the cops myself, but I can see how they could sometimes be seen as over-zealous.