Reload this Page >

Hi - NYC move

Hi - NYC move

Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

loll2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi - NYC move

Hey,

New to the forum.. we're likely to make a huge decision to move in Jan 2012 (Me, Husband, 2 kids and 4 cats). Will be working in NYC and likely living somewhere in a commutable distance in New Jersey (we like Chatham, Summit and Madison at the moment).

So.. I am trying to work out roughly what take home pay would look like and am absolutely baffled at the moment, if anyone has any good recommendations for websites where this is set out (simply ) I will be eternally grateful.
Any other words of advice gratefully received.. in the meantime I am off to trawl the archives to find some posts that might help!

Loll
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:34 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi - NYC move

Figure approximately 28% or so will be taken out in taxes. It depends on your salary . You could be in an even higher or lower tax bracket. You'll be paying city , state , federal, social security and disability. If you have insurance through your company or a 401K that would be deducted as well. It also depends on how many exemptions that you fill out on your W2.

Don't forget to figure out a few hundred a month in commuting costs as well.Alot of people tend to forget about that. If it's a large company they might offer transit check which would help with your commuting costs.

Certain rules change each tax year as well.

TRY www.paycheckcalculators.org or ww.paycheckcity.com

Last edited by penguinbar; Oct 16th 2011 at 7:34 pm. Reason: www.paycheckcity.com
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loll2011
Hey,

New to the forum.. we're likely to make a huge decision to move in Jan 2012 (Me, Husband, 2 kids and 4 cats). Will be working in NYC and likely living somewhere in a commutable distance in New Jersey (we like Chatham, Summit and Madison at the moment).

So.. I am trying to work out roughly what take home pay would look like and am absolutely baffled at the moment, if anyone has any good recommendations for websites where this is set out (simply ) I will be eternally grateful.
Any other words of advice gratefully received.. in the meantime I am off to trawl the archives to find some posts that might help!

Loll
Hi and welcome to BE.

There are loads of threads about people working in NYC and looking to live in the areas you've mentioned. There is a search engine...the tab is in the pink bar at the top of the page. Go to 'Advanced Search' and make sure you highlight the US forums. Also look for posts by Englishmum...she's posted loads of great info about those areas.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

loll2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant, thanks both for your time :-)
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:26 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loll2011
Brilliant, thanks both for your time :-)
Give me a shout if you need help finding the new threads.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:30 pm

Let me know if you have any questions about NYC as well!