Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi, new here

Hi, new here

Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, new here

Originally Posted by TruBrit
2 yrs initially then renewable every 10 yrs.
Provided you are 'resident' in the US. If you leave for an extended period of time (> 1 year) then all sorts of fun begins such that if you wish to return, you have to go through the process all over again.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiedodger
I would want to live there for more then a while , its where we want our home to be, have kids there etc. Does a green card have a time limit on how long you can stay? If you want to stay in the states for many years do you have to become a citizen? I thought my wife being american would make this somewhat easier!
To live and work in the US, you need permission. Long-term permission for this is called Permanent Resident status, and PRs have something called a Green Card that shows their status.

Permanent Resident (Green Card)

Rights
As a Permanent Resident you have most of the rights of a United States Citizen but there are some exceptions.

Rights
To live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable (deportable) under the immigration law (section 237, Immigration and Nationality Act).
To be employed in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.
<snip>
International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US.
<snip>

Naturalization
Many Permanent Residents of the United States have the ultimate goal of becoming a US citizen.

Permanent Resident Card
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

The Permanent Resident Card (either unconditioned or conditioned) can be used to prove employment eligibility in the US when completing the Form I-9 for a new employer. It can also be used to apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver’s license. The card is valid for readmission to the United States if the trip was not greater than one year in length. If a trip will last longer than one year, a reentry permit is needed.
----------------

If that is what you want, follow the links previously offered.
Working backward:
To get a Green Card, you need to be a Permanent Resident.
To be a Permanent Resident, you'll need an Immigrant Visa.
To get an Immigrant Visa, you'll need a US citizen to petition on your behalf.
Your wife is a US citizen.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Working backward:
To buy a coffee, you need some money.
To have some money, you need a job.
To have a job, you have to get up in the morning.
To get up in the morning, you have to go sleep.
To go to sleep, you have to lay off the coffee in the evening.

Great game! Could be English language practice for foreigners practicing need/have to or a course for the developmentally disabled to improve thought processes.

As our OP is English, I will assume the latter.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

jammiedodger is an unknown quantity at this point

To live and work in the US, you need permission. Long-term permission for this is called Permanent Resident status, and PRs have something called a Green Card that shows their status.

Permanent Resident (Green Card)

Rights
As a Permanent Resident you have most of the rights of a United States Citizen but there are some exceptions.

Rights
To live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable (deportable) under the immigration law (section 237, Immigration and Nationality Act).
To be employed in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.
<snip>
International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US.
<snip>

Naturalization
Many Permanent Residents of the United States have the ultimate goal of becoming a US citizen.

Permanent Resident Card
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

The Permanent Resident Card (either unconditioned or conditioned) can be used to prove employment eligibility in the US when completing the Form I-9 for a new employer. It can also be used to apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver’s license. The card is valid for readmission to the United States if the trip was not greater than one year in length. If a trip will last longer than one year, a reentry permit is needed.
----------------

Working backward:
Hi,

ok right, umm....my wife petitions on my behalf, and that gets me a immigrant visa? and if I have that visa, then that makes me a permanent resident? and then I can apply for a green card?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiedodger
Hi,

ok right, umm....my wife petitions on my behalf, and that gets me a immigrant visa? and if I have that visa, then that makes me a permanent resident? and then I can apply for a green card?
Yeah, pretty close

Wife petitions.
You apply for a visa.
You show up in the US with the visa & get admitted.
You ARE a PR and they send you the Green Card.

Check this out: Direct Consular Filing (DCF)
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit

As our OP is English, I will assume the latter.
tsk, now now.. it's early days. His eyes are still starry with thoughts of romantic farmhouses in the country. He just needs the practical stuff first.

for jammied... all in good fun.

I thought we could just come over as tourists and go pick up his Green Card once we were here when I first started. It's not that easy! (or cheap)
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

tsk, now now.. it's early days. His eyes are still starry with thoughts of romantic farmhouses in the country. He just needs the practical stuff first.
Sorry -- get fed up of spoon-feeding people occasionally. Why can't people do a bit of research and then ask for confirmation of their chosen route to check they properly understood everything and haven't overlooked something? That way they'll have a far better understanding of the process.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

jammiedodger is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry -- get fed up of spoon-feeding people occasionally. Why can't people do a bit of research and then ask for confirmation of their chosen route to check they properly understood everything and haven't overlooked something? That way they'll have a far better understanding of the process.
Well I'm sure in a years time I'll be back doing exactly that, but for now I just wanted some broad direction on where to start.

for jammied... all in good fun.

I thought we could just come over as tourists and go pick up his Green Card once we were here when I first started. It's not that easy! (or cheap)
"romantic farmhouses in the country"

- damm how did you know our plan!!

I'm sure there are lots of hoops to jump through, that at least was how it was for my wife getting her visa here, it all went smooth mind you, so no complaints there.

We do want a nice house though, housing prices where we are (SE) are beyond a joke. Was thinking of Kingston in NY, but after reading about it on the City-Data forums I think not. CT's sounding nice.

Not to want to complicate things even more, but I have to ask this cos I'm curious. My father was american, thing is he's not on my birth cirtificate so I'm not sure how much that would help anyway!