Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Old Jan 9th 2005, 1:34 am
Riding The Waves

kevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
It's a shame you decided this after you got back. Had you decided while you were there and just got married for those reasons you would have been able to AOS (adjustment of status) without returning.

I know it's not something that people here like to bring up but you sounded so desperate to be together that I had to mention that if you had acted on that feeling on your visit then you would be together now.

Best of luck with the process now though.
Even though I just have a standard passport and only enter the US under the VW program?

The thing is, we DID decide before I got back, but we couldn't find any information on anything about a fiance visa - except for lawyers who could process the forms.

Rete - sorry I meant the I-1864 form, not the I-134 form.

Do we need to worry about the I-1864 form for me to get the visa? or is this done after marriage?
Old Jan 9th 2005, 1:43 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin148
Even though I just have a standard passport and only enter the US under the VW program?

The thing is, we DID decide before I got back, but we couldn't find any information on anything about a fiance visa - except for lawyers who could process the forms.
Yes. It is a shame that you didn't feel strongly enough that you didn't just get married. Now you have intent you have to go the K1 route.

But basically, if you eneter the US on VWP and decide while you are there (NOT before) to get married then you can apply for AOS without leaving the country. BUT you have to have decided to get married on the spur of the moment. Now you have returned then this would not be the case.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 2:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin148
Rete - sorry I meant the I-1864 form, not the I-134 form.

Do we need to worry about the I-1864 form for me to get the visa? or is this done after marriage?
Hi Kevin,

For now, going the K1 route, Tara only needs to complete the I-134, and her parent (the one earning the required amount of money) will complete another I-134. The two I-134s are the same document. Your joint sponser (her parent) will also need to provide the required backup (tax return, pay stub, proof of income). Both of the I-134s need to be notarized by any notary public. I got mine done at my bank. Remember to have them sign the I-134 in front of the notary public, not before.

The I-864 is a different Affidavit of Support which is done after you are here and married, and are submitting your AOS documents.

Personally, I think you are doing things all the right way. You're going about the correct process for the correct visa for your intent. It will mean a bit of separation, but it also means no worries in the future about your status.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Tara_Gwen is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Hello,
Thanks to everyone that has replyed again. I was just wondering if me going with Kevin to the interview would help in anyway? I wanted to go with him anyway and stand outside just for support. I also wanted to ask how much proof (letters, pictures, e-mails, passport stamps, etc.) anyone thinks we should have? I have quit a bit but I was just wondering about how much everyone thinks. Because I don't wanna sent to much but I don't wanna send not enough. Thanks alot again.

Tara
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tara_Gwen
Hello,
Thanks to everyone that has replyed again. I was just wondering if me going with Kevin to the interview would help in anyway? I wanted to go with him anyway and stand outside just for support. I also wanted to ask how much proof (letters, pictures, e-mails, passport stamps, etc.) anyone thinks we should have? I have quit a bit but I was just wondering about how much everyone thinks. Because I don't wanna sent to much but I don't wanna send not enough. Thanks alot again.

Tara
Hi Tara

Are you talking about how much to send with the I-129F application? Or are you talking about what to bring to his interview down the road when he gets that far?

For the I-129F, you only need to send proof that you've met within the past 2 years. Pictures, boarding passes, and such.

For the interview, bring EVERYTHING that proves you have a valid and ongoing relationship.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Tara_Gwen is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Tara

Are you talking about how much to send with the I-129F application? Or are you talking about what to bring to his interview down the road when he gets that far?

For the I-129F, you only need to send proof that you've met within the past 2 years. Pictures, boarding passes, and such.

For the interview, bring EVERYTHING that proves you have a valid and ongoing relationship.

Rene

Hello Rene
I meant with the I-129F application sorry for not specifying. So it's not gonna be wrong if I don't send alot of stuff, just as long as we can proved that we have met in the pass two years. The interview is gonna be the most important thing to take alot of stuff too?

Thanks alot, you have been alot of help.

Tara
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Tara_Gwen
Hello Rene
I meant with the I-129F application sorry for not specifying. So it's not gonna be wrong if I don't send alot of stuff, just as long as we can proved that we have met in the pass two years. The interview is gonna be the most important thing to take alot of stuff too?

Thanks alot, you have been alot of help.

Tara
Hi Tara,

Yep, you've got it right. The I-129F submission is pretty minimal. Just the required forms filled out correctly, signed, dated by you and your fiance, the passport-style photos of each of you, any previous marriage termination information, and whatever backup you have to show you've met within the last 2 years.

The interview is where the Consular Officer might want to see all the originals of the I-129F package, plus all the forms your fiance will complete, plus the original I-134 and original backup, plus ALL pertinent backup to show your continued relationship. At my fiance's interview in Ankara, Turkey, the ConOff asked to see the most recent 6 months of original phone bills (mine, since I did all the calling), and all original photos from when I met my fiance (7 years ago).

But don't stress about the interview yet. One thing at a time. First just get your I-129F petition in correctly.

Best Wishes,
Rene