Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Wikiposts

Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:56 am
Riding The Waves

kevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant future
Default Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Hello there

I am from London, and my fiance is from north carolina. We have been seing each other for 5 years now and after this last time of visiting her (I just got back today) we have decided we cannot take being apart anymore and want to get married and start a new life in the USA. Also we have nothing tying us back from getting married now. The thing is, we got the K1 forms sent out to her, but all the legal jargon in the questions on the form goes right over our heads and we end up getting upset and wondering if we are even filling in the forms correctly.

We have tried looking at web sites for help, but we need it in lamens terms. Can someone please help us out and explain how to answer the questions on the form and what we need to do in simple stages?

my e-mail is [email protected]

my fiance can be reached at t_jones_08 at hotmail.com

please please help us.

thanks

Kevin and Tara
Old Jan 6th 2005, 12:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Originally Posted by kevin148
Hello there
I am from London, and my fiance is from north carolina. We have been seing each other for 5 years now and after this last time of visiting her (I just got back today) we have decided we cannot take being apart anymore and want to get married and start a new life in the USA. Also we have nothing tying
Thats why God gave us immigration Attorneys for those that are form filling
depressives... www.aila.org for a list in NC ..unless anybody here has a recommendation..
Old Jan 6th 2005, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

MissKris81 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to help I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the forms.

Kristin
Old Jan 6th 2005, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Tara_Gwen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MissKris81
If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to help I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the forms.

Kristin

Hello
I am Kevin's fiance, I just wanted to ask u some questions about this K-1 visa, Do you know what forms it consist of? Maybe u could also give me some hints of how I should fell them out. If we tried to do it on our own how much do u think it would cost after we had finished everything?
Oh and thanks alot for taking the time out to reply to our message.
Tara
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tara_Gwen
Hello
I am Kevin's fiance, I just wanted to ask u some questions about this K-1 visa, Do you know what forms it consist of? Maybe u could also give me some hints of how I should fell them out. If we tried to do it on our own how much do u think it would cost after we had finished everything?
Oh and thanks alot for taking the time out to reply to our message.
Tara
Tara,

Have you looked at any of the FAQs listed at the top of the main messages page? If not, here is a good starting point:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1guide

OR

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tara,

To start, you fill out the I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance, you fill out the G-325A Biographical Sheet, and Kevin fills out a G-325A Biographical Sheet.

You can download those forms from www.uscis.gov and then come back with any specific questions, and we'll try to help you.

When you're ready to send in your packet of forms, also include a copy of your birth certificate, 2 passport-style photos each of both you and Kevin, any divorce decrees or death certificates of previous spouses, if applicable, a copy of Kevin's font page of his passport, and proof of having met once during the past 2 years (photos, plane tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps, etc), AND finally, a statement of intent from both you and Kevin, stating that you intend to marry in the USA within 90 days of his arrival on the K1 visa.

There's a start for you!
Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Tara_Gwen is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Hi, this may sound stupid, but we need help please!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Tara,

To start, you fill out the I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance, you fill out the G-325A Biographical Sheet, and Kevin fills out a G-325A Biographical Sheet.

You can download those forms from www.uscis.gov and then come back with any specific questions, and we'll try to help you.

When you're ready to send in your packet of forms, also include a copy of your birth certificate, 2 passport-style photos each of both you and Kevin, any divorce decrees or death certificates of previous spouses, if applicable, a copy of Kevin's font page of his passport, and proof of having met once during the past 2 years (photos, plane tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps, etc), AND finally, a statement of intent from both you and Kevin, stating that you intend to marry in the USA within 90 days of his arrival on the K1 visa.

There's a start for you!
Best Wishes,
Rene

Hello,
Thank you so much for all your help that really help me understand alot better than any of these forms ever could. If you don't mind me asking one more question, when i do get everything ready to send to I send it to the united states embassy?? I'm sorry for asking so many questions it's just i've never done this before and I really want this to happen for us. You have been alot of help. Thank you and Thanks to everyone else that replyed to my message.

Tara
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Thank you so much for all your help that really help me understand alot better than any of these forms ever could. If you don't mind me asking one more question, when i do get everything ready to send to I send it to the united states embassy?? I'm sorry for asking so many questions it's just i've never done this before and I really want this to happen for us. You have been alot of help. Thank you and Thanks to everyone else that replyed to my message.

Tara

Tara

Sphy gave you the FAQ for the I-129F/K1 Visa ... it is www.visajourney.com

The FAQ is a godsend of information from start to finish in what to do and expect with this visa.

The I-129F is a clearly stated document as well and the instructions are clear and concise. Do exactly what it tells you to do and mail it to the place it tells you to mail ... the service center in the US that covers your living jurisdiction.

The US Consulate is involved in the second part of the Fiancee Visa process and that is for your foreign fiancee, not the US citizen.

Rete

PS Not many of us have done this more than once either ;-)
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tara,

Your I-129F package will go to the service center for your location here in the USA. The actual I-129F form has more specific instructions. As I said, get the forms, start filling them out, read the FAQs link that has been listed here, read the www.uscis.gov website, and then come back with any questions.

Kevin will start dealing with the embassy on his side, after approval of your petition on this side.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Tara
Kevin & Tara,

Once you get those forms that Noorah listed, please read through the instructions. They really are quite good at explaining what is needed, and where to send the package of docs. The links that Sphy sent you are quite good as well.

If there is any bit of advice that I can give you about the K1 process, it would be to research, research, research. Check out the links that we have given you - read them several times if necessary. Before my husband and I started the K1 process in 2003, we did a few months of research through the internet first. The links you've been given are a fantastic resource, and really should be read over. Also on http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=examples you'll find example forms already filled out that you can use to fill out your forms - just remember tho, these are guidelines and you should make sure you make them specific to your circumstances. If you want to see a general outline of all the steps in the K1 visa process, check out this link: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1flow. Also make sure you read over all the tips/advice on assembling your petition before mailing it off - organization is a necessary evil throughout the entire process from K1 through citizenship, and it would be a good thing to start now!

Good luck, and make sure you come back and ask us some more questions after you read through all of your new info!!

Cheers,
~Jamie

FYI: We started the K1 process in Aug. 2003, got married in May 2004, and are now getting readyfor my husbands' Permenent Resident interview next week. So please be aware that this is not a short process, and there are multiple stages (or hoops as we call them) to be gone through.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:39 pm
Riding The Waves

kevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant futurekevin148 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Kevin & Tara,

Once you get those forms that Noorah listed, please read through the instructions. They really are quite good at explaining what is needed, and where to send the package of docs. The links that Sphy sent you are quite good as well.

If there is any bit of advice that I can give you about the K1 process, it would be to research, research, research. Check out the links that we have given you - read them several times if necessary. Before my husband and I started the K1 process in 2003, we did a few months of research through the internet first. The links you've been given are a fantastic resource, and really should be read over. Also on http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=examples you'll find example forms already filled out that you can use to fill out your forms - just remember tho, these are guidelines and you should make sure you make them specific to your circumstances. If you want to see a general outline of all the steps in the K1 visa process, check out this link: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1flow. Also make sure you read over all the tips/advice on assembling your petition before mailing it off - organization is a necessary evil throughout the entire process from K1 through citizenship, and it would be a good thing to start now!

Good luck, and make sure you come back and ask us some more questions after you read through all of your new info!!

Cheers,
~Jamie

FYI: We started the K1 process in Aug. 2003, got married in May 2004, and are now getting readyfor my husbands' Permenent Resident interview next week. So please be aware that this is not a short process, and there are multiple stages (or hoops as we call them) to be gone through.

Thanks for the help - this has eased my mind a great deal, but I have a couple of niggling questions.

- I've read on the forum here that you do not need to send original documents - but on the visa journeys page it states "Send all originals of the documentary proof that you submitted for the I-129F to your fiance(e) for their interview at the embassy."
Now I have sent scanned boarding cards to Tara, but am sending a passport picture in the post to her - is this ok?. Also, does she get notified to send the I-129f package to me, or does she just have to send it regardless?

Thanks

Kevin
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the help - this has eased my mind a great deal, but I have a couple of niggling questions.

- I've read on the forum here that you do not need to send original documents - but on the visa journeys page it states "Send all originals of the documentary proof that you submitted for the I-129F to your fiance(e) for their interview at the embassy."
Now I have sent scanned boarding cards to Tara, but am sending a passport picture in the post to her - is this ok?. Also, does she get notified to send the I-129f package to me, or does she just have to send it regardless?

Thanks

Kevin
Kev, the VJ site is referring to you (the alien). The alien fiance would be mailed originals so they could take the originals with them to their interview in London. You've got it backwards. The USC would submit photocopies with the I-129F. The I-129F is sent to the service center having jurisdiction over Tara's place of residence. Got it?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:00 pm
Riding The Waves

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Kev, the VJ site is referring to you (the alien). The alien fiance would be mailed originals so they could take the originals with them to their interview in London. You've got it backwards. The USC would submit photocopies with the I-129F. The I-129F is sent to the service center having jurisdiction over Tara's place of residence. Got it?

Thanks )

I'm just worried about this and don't want to screw anything up. I'll get there in the end.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:12 pm

Thanks )

I'm just worried about this and don't want to screw anything up. I'll get there in the end.
Hi Kevin and Tara,

For Tara's I-129F submission, she will need 2 ORIGINAL passport photos of both Kevin and Tara. She will need Kevin's ORIGINAL signature on his G-325A (all 4 pages) and his ORIGINAL signature on his Statement of Intent.

Tara will send the ORIGINAL I-129F petition, signed by her, the ORIGINAL G-325A's that are signed, and she'll send the ORIGINAL I-134 that has been signed by her and notarized.

Everything else she sends should be a photocopy, scanned copy, color copy, whatever type of copy you wish. Pictures of you together, boarding passes, birth certificate, passport, etc. Her backup for the I-134 should also be photocopies (bank statements, tax return, assets, whatever is included as backup).

After she sends all that in, and the file gets to London, Kevin will have his own series of paperwork to complete, and then go for an interview at the consulate. This is where Kevin will bring originals of the backup that was sent along with the I-129F that Tara sent in.

I know it takes a while for the process to sink in. Hope that helps!

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:43 pm
Riding The Waves

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Kevin and Tara,

For Tara's I-129F submission, she will need 2 ORIGINAL passport photos of both Kevin and Tara. She will need Kevin's ORIGINAL signature on his G-325A (all 4 pages) and his ORIGINAL signature on his Statement of Intent.

Tara will send the ORIGINAL I-129F petition, signed by her, the ORIGINAL G-325A's that are signed, and she'll send the ORIGINAL I-134 that has been signed by her and notarized.

Everything else she sends should be a photocopy, scanned copy, color copy, whatever type of copy you wish. Pictures of you together, boarding passes, birth certificate, passport, etc. Her backup for the I-134 should also be photocopies (bank statements, tax return, assets, whatever is included as backup).

After she sends all that in, and the file gets to London, Kevin will have his own series of paperwork to complete, and then go for an interview at the consulate. This is where Kevin will bring originals of the backup that was sent along with the I-129F that Tara sent in.

I know it takes a while for the process to sink in. Hope that helps!

Rene
Ok, so now I have another question

Do I need an original G-325a form, or can I just print it off and then sign it?

kevin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.