Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi, I'm new and needing a push in the right dorection

Hi, I'm new and needing a push in the right dorection

Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

giggles is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Hi, I'm new and needing a push in the right dorection

Hi there, real new here and actually I'm so pleased to have found this site. I have search the net and probably not looking at things right so thought I would post here and see if anyone can help put me in the right direction.
I was born and live in the UK and have a 6 year old daughter. My dream is to live and work in the USA. I have looked at few sites about green cards and such but none really tell me what it is I want to know. Maybe I'm just looking for a quick and easy way to work and live in the USA and I know that the process isn't quick nor easy. I need a push in the right direction to what I have to do to start the process. I do have a friend who her and her hubby are willing to become sponsers if that is what is needed.
I have been told I really only have two ways of living and working in the USA (1) is to get married to a USA citizen (2) is to find a job that is a professional job ... I was told that because my work is a foster carer and child care that is not a professional job. I think I am babbling now, but please if you need any other imformation from me ... just ask me. Thank you in advance for any advise or pushes in the right direction.

love and huggs
giggles
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:01 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hi, I'm new and needing a push in the right dorection

Originally posted by giggles
Hi there, real new here and actually I'm so pleased to have found this site. I have search the net and probably not looking at things right so thought I would post here and see if anyone can help put me in the right direction.
I was born and live in the UK and have a 6 year old daughter. My dream is to live and work in the USA. I have looked at few sites about green cards and such but none really tell me what it is I want to know. Maybe I'm just looking for a quick and easy way to work and live in the USA and I know that the process isn't quick nor easy. I need a push in the right direction to what I have to do to start the process. I do have a friend who her and her hubby are willing to become sponsers if that is what is needed.
I have been told I really only have two ways of living and working in the USA (1) is to get married to a USA citizen (2) is to find a job that is a professional job ... I was told that because my work is a foster carer and child care that is not a professional job. I think I am babbling now, but please if you need any other imformation from me ... just ask me. Thank you in advance for any advise or pushes in the right direction.

love and huggs
giggles
you will most likely find it hard the only ways are family sponsorship and the wait list is long except for immediate relatives of US citizen ie spouse,children,parents. your friends wont be much help execpt as far as the financial requirements go. where where you born? UK people from Northern ireland can enter the visa lottery but not english or scots or welsh.

a job visa is only ever temporary normally to a maximum period as well. a work based green card is pretty rare unless you are in a special occupation or an exceptional person (ie nobel prize winner, leading scientist, top actor etc). realistically unless you marry an american citizen it will be tough. you could try traing into aprofession that might get you to the usa, nurses are in demand so maybe a career change would do it.

sorry i cant be more helpful.

regards,

Duncan
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, I'm new and needing a push in the right dorection

Originally posted by giggles ..... Thank you in advance for any advise or pushes in the right direction.
Sorry Giggles, there's not much room for hope from what you have said.

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

I hope this helps.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:51 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you need an American man - does anyone know of a nice chap for this gal?

Should we charge?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by scotch03
Sounds like you need an American man - does anyone know of a nice chap for this gal?

Should we charge?

Well ... not what I wanted to hear

But thank you all for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

love and huggs
giggles
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Lookin 4 Love is an unknown quantity at this point

how old are you.i am looking to get married.i am 34
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Lookin 4 Love
how old are you.i am looking to get married.i am 34
ohhhhhh ermmmmmm I'm 28, but I have close friends in WI and I know beggers can't be choosers but that is where I want to be.

love and huggs
giggles
Old Sep 5th 2003, 10:32 am
Just Joined

oh to bad.I am in california
Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:00 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

oh to bad.I am in california
Nooooo don't give up that easily..... giggles didn't say she absolutely had to live in WI!

Can you both post pics or send them to each other? It's worth a try and I'm sure stranger things have happened!

Lookin 4 Love.... How serious are you about this?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Nooooo don't give up that easily..... giggles didn't say she absolutely had to live in WI!

Can you both post pics or send them to each other? It's worth a try and I'm sure stranger things have happened!

My main (only) support I will get is from my friends in Wisconsin and I will need their emotional support so I guess Wisconsin is where I will have to be, if I ever get there. But you know thank you everyone for trying to help me, not sure what I will do now about it *sigh* Lifes not always fair

love and huggs
giggles
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:53 am
Just Joined

i am very serious i would love to get married.And help someone persu there dreams to come here and live
Originally posted by BrigieDarling

Old Sep 6th 2003, 11:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What about florida then???? I have a herd of 80 year olds locally looking for a young bride...(lol)
Old Sep 6th 2003, 11:10 am
Just Joined

i am very serious i would love to get married.And help someone persu there dreams to come here and live

I hope you can make someones dream come true.

Love and huggs
giggles
Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

SanDiego101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Im curious im gonna get an f1 visa and go 2 uni in states (im living here for like 2 yrs) iv been told that ill get 12 months after i graduate to find a job. I want to work with computers do u think i can find a job out here thatll sponsor me?
Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:55 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Giggles,

You could always just start making friends in the US - and who knows!!!!

Many dating sights like match.com Unless you seek you may not find and you have time.