Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi I am new here.

Wikiposts

Hi I am new here.

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:16 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Hi I am new here.

inch yards.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
inch yards.
Dont forget feet ...
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
CCTV doesn't bother me at all. In fact they make me feel safer.
True. After you get stabbed or beaten up they can put a picture of someone wearing a hoodie on his head on the local news.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I see this thrown around a lot here, the Patriot Act seems to be very frigtening to people here. In the final analysis, though, how have people's rights been unduly infringed by the Patriot Act? Have your rights been personally infringed upon? How about anyone you know? Can you cite an example of privacy or civil rights abuse allowed under the specific provisions in the Patriot Act? Crucially, how do these purported infringements compare to having about 13 million illegal cameras photographing each private citizen on average 300 times a day? How about how they compare to rights abuses in any other country?

Sorry, I could probably be ignorant about all of this, but the Patriot Act, in and of itself, doesn't seem all that terrible.
The fact that none of us here might have had anything personally done because of the PA doesn't excuse the fact that it is so open to abuse, having your mail searched, finger printed to enter the country etc....the whole thought of innocent till proven guilty is out of the window, you are a guilty terrorist till proven otherwise....might as well just be more polite and open about it and say, we don't want you coming to our country without.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 7:58 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I see this thrown around a lot here, the Patriot Act seems to be very frigtening to people here. In the final analysis, though, how have people's rights been unduly infringed by the Patriot Act? Have your rights been personally infringed upon? How about anyone you know? Can you cite an example of privacy or civil rights abuse allowed under the specific provisions in the Patriot Act? Crucially, how do these purported infringements compare to having about 13 million illegal cameras photographing each private citizen on average 300 times a day? How about how they compare to rights abuses in any other country?

Sorry, I could probably be ignorant about all of this, but the Patriot Act, in and of itself, doesn't seem all that terrible.
Forgive the initial source, but it was the best comprehensive list of actual news articles I could find.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...04toystore.htm

http://www.prisonplanet.com/court_us...ombatants.html

http://www.prisonplanet.com/terroris...t_area_51.html

http://www.prisonplanet.com/secret_s...s_students.htm

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...110410819.html

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...3422-5163r.htm

http://www.infowars.com/print/ps/target_patriots.htm

http://www.unknownnews.net/030929dead.html

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...artbecomes.htm

And you can call me paranoid, but laws such as this never go away, and they never diminish. At best, they can be ignored by common-sense individuals who know the difference between terrorism and setting a bin on fire that happened to be next to a federal building.

At worst, they can be ignored by the Presidential Administration. For example, the USA PATRIOT Act:
permits “roving” surveillance (court orders omitting the identification of
the particular instrument, facilities, or place where the surveillance is to
occur when the court finds the target is likely to thwart identification with
particularity);
increases the number of judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance
Act (FISA) court from 7 to 11;
allows application for a FISA surveillance or search order when
gathering foreign intelligence is a significant reason for the application
rather than the reason;
authorizes pen register and trap & trace device orders for e-mail as well
as telephone conversations;
sanctions court ordered access to any tangible item rather than only
business records held by lodging, car rental, and locker rental businesses;
carries a sunset provision;
establishes a claim against the U.S. for certain communications privacy
violations by government personnel; and
expands the prohibition against FISA orders based solely on an
American’s exercise of his or her First Amendment rights.
The current administration has shown that the FISA court, no matter how many people are on it, can be easily by-passed by presidential fiat, even if you have to obtain the signature of a drugged up Attorney General to get approval to continue to do so.

But all this is... Well this is really for TIO, not here. I don't live in the UK. I don't much care for it anymore as it stands today. But I could explain away the loss of civil liberties in the UK quite quickly by claiming we didn't really have many to begin with. As for many other countries all around the world... Well, if America isn't supposed to have greater freedoms than all those countries, then it shouldn't be claiming that freedom is its greatest export, should it?
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:23 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

. But I could explain away the loss of civil liberties in the UK quite quickly by claiming we didn't really have many to begin with

Can you expand on this? Out of interest.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

Can you expand on this? Out of interest.
Yes, I'd like to read an explantion for this.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:36 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for a start, the general public of most of the UK didn't have any rights at all until 1215. Thus my statement, we didn't have many rights to begin with.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Well, for a start, the general public of most of the UK didn't have any rights at all until 1215. Thus my statement, we didn't have many rights to begin with.
I think you're going to have to do better than this...
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ridski
Geez. Elastoplast!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:00 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think you're going to have to do better than this...
Of course these gentlemen had a bone to pick-

http://www.clanstirling.org/Main/lib...fArbroath.html
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:58 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Azure
Because I don't know any better and hence joined a discussion forum to find out more...
Since you have had a lot of replies re how hard it is to get in here, I'll try and take a different tack.

Snowbunnys idea for Canada sounds more likely for you..but have no idea how hard it is to get in there.

If you didn't like the political climate in the UK and the reason was the Labour govt and you would be more on the centre/right.
Then you might have got on better here as the 2 main difference to the Countries to me are - US is more conservative and right-wing in their politics even the Democrats are more right than Labour.

And religion..especially if you live in the mid'west or the Southern States..Religion is prevalent everywhere and coming from the UK..this seems one area that people are surprised at/don't like.

So for anybody coming/wanting to live here. I'd say if you can't live with Religion being so prevalent or more right-wing Capitalist politics/thinking then don't even think about it!
Though all states aren't like that, I live in WA state..nowhere near as religious or right-wing in thinking.
And San-Francisco well lets just say none of that applies

There are many other factors including healthcare, but those 2 or 3 are huge and should be thought about before moving here.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Azure
Hello all.

About me:

My name is Harris I am a 21 year old male living in Lancashire with my partner who is a recently qualified midwife. I will be studying for a BSc Hons degree in Arboriculture [Tree surgery for the layman] this year which consists of 1 year Academic study, 1 subsequent year of work placement anywhere in the world [wink wink] and then 2 final years study back at University.

I have felt a genuine compelling urge to leave the UK for pastures new for at least 4 years now and for a million and one different reasons. People around me tell me to move to AUS or NZ but recently I started to think more and more about the US. I do not like the political climate in the UK and want to get out. Cost of living is another important push factor for me, at the moment I cannot see myself getting a house of my own udner a mortgage before I am 28, my partner cannot find work in the NHS anywhere reasonable due to the ongoing "midwifery crisis et al" and basically we both feel a bit cheesed off with how the country treats us and take the attitude that we will go somewhere we we can make something of ourselves where the opportunities exist.

Am I suffering from "The grass is greener on the US side!" mindset here or does this kind of rationale sound similar to what any of you went through?

My theoretical plan is for me to spend a year working in the US for my second year of my degree whilst my Partner stays in the UK and tries to land a job in the NHS somewhere suitable for experience. We both planned to get into fields of work which we both enjoyed [naturally] but that ones that also allowed a lot of freedom of movement. Tree surgery and midwifery I think are pretty good mobile skill sets, as far as my understanding goes an Hons BSc in Arboriculture is fairly rare in the industry, and at any rate lands me in an upper middle management situation// expert witness level immediately so I am hoping I will qualify for the skilled immigrant visa section.

I am looking for some people's experiences with moving to and living in the US and what they love/hate about the country.

Many thanks.
Its a nightmare dont do it! Head down under instead. Good luck!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:57 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Azure, NYC is a great place to be young in!!! If your partner wants to come, health care is the easiest way in of all. There are tons of young Brits in Manhattan and all seem to love it and are very happy.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
Azure, NYC is a great place to be young in!!! If your partner wants to come, health care is the easiest way in of all. There are tons of young Brits in Manhattan and all seem to love it and are very happy.
only for registered general nurses....not midwifes alone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.