Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi I am new here.

Wikiposts

Hi I am new here.

Old May 31st 2007, 9:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I am new here.

Originally Posted by Old William
Cottonmouth + Gun = Dead cotton mouth live gun owner.

Cottonmouth - Gun = Live cotton mouth dead non gun owner.
Ah.... is that what "I will stick with with gun... I don't" means.... thanks for the translation!
Old May 31st 2007, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Azure is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Old William
To the OP:

I am really curious as to what you think would improve your life by moving to the US?
Because I don't know any better and hence joined a discussion forum to find out more...
Old May 31st 2007, 9:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Azure
Because I don't know any better and hence joined a discussion forum to find out more...
But you were talking about more freedoms - what freedoms and why...
Old May 31st 2007, 9:17 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
average person if lucky get 7-10 vacation days a year, usually after working at a place for a year, this often includes sick days and some public holidays....so you won't have the time off to have a holiday.
Not true Bob...depends who you work for , what you do , and how long employed with same company.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:20 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
Whats the one that springs to mind......ah yes to own a Gun
Old May 31st 2007, 9:30 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
But you were talking about more freedoms - what freedoms and why...
That's what I asked too. I'm curious about this.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Whats that face for it's bloody well true ain't it and for the record I am not against gun owner ship for the right people who choose to own one or twenty.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I fully understand that the law demands 28 days holiday per annum, as a child through secondary I never had a holiday going over a bank holiday weekend and I have chosen to work my holiday in the last 3 years of paid work I have been taking...
that's your choice not having a holiday, in the US, you don't have the option.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not true Bob...depends who you work for , what you do , and how long employed with same company.
true, but I said average...most of us here aren't in retail, where most people don't even get paid holiday.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a tree surgeon here, he is a long-time friend of my neighbour's, a lovely man who works like a dog. He says he is the last white guy in the business in LA, that's just a simple fact to bear in mind.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Name another freedom people do not share in the UK.
Old May 31st 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, the only time I ever recall off was 4 weeks when I was unemployed and looking for a Job. That's it, seriously, and hardly what you'd call time off.

So why would anyone assume I would take issue with immigration to the uk then? That's the only point I was making there.

Azure

At the moment it is unlikely you will qualify for entry into the US. The only way I could see is if your girlfriend retrained as a nurse in something like A&E and then got some experience and then you married her. Maybe then.

Also, I can't see from your objections to the UK why the US would make your life any better. They generally work harder and longer hours, have less annual leave and no universal healthcare system. Also, if yo uthink the UK is politically oppressive you're going to love post-Patriot Act USA. Worse than that they don't like Marmite much and they don't have a problem with brown and/or checkered suits*.

But all is not lost. Australia and NZ offer great weather, twice as much annual leave as the US, and crucially (from your perspective) you stand a chance of getting into one of them (and if you get into one then you get into the other - smashing, eh?). Check out the Australian Government website here http://www.immi.gov.au/ and check for eligibility.

And best of luck!

If this life of 300 days of sunshine a year doesn't appeal to you, you could wait a couple of years and try the all new American points system, but I is reckonin' that ain't gonna be a pushover, and will probably award most points for job offers and US family. So if you wait for this you might be waiting for a long time only to get Nul Points.

*Everyone knows only Ronnie could get away with a brown suit.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:20 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Azure

At the moment it is unlikely you will qualify for entry into the US. The only way I could see is if your girlfriend retrained as a nurse in something like A&E and then got some experience and then you married her. Maybe then.

Also, I can't see from your objections to the UK why the US would make your life any better. They generally work harder and longer hours, have less annual leave and no universal healthcare system. Also, if yo uthink the UK is politically oppressive you're going to love post-Patriot Act USA. Worse than that they don't like Marmite much and they don't have a problem with brown and/or checkered suits*.

But all is not lost. Australia and NZ offer great weather, twice as much annual leave as the US, and crucially (from your perspective) you stand a chance of getting into one of them (and if you get into one then you get into the other - smashing, eh?). Check out the Australian Government website here http://www.immi.gov.au/ and check for eligibility.

And best of luck!

If this life of 300 days of sunshine a year doesn't appeal to you, you could wait a couple of years and try the all new American points system, but I is reckonin' that ain't gonna be a pushover, and will probably award most points for job offers and US family. So if you wait for this you might be waiting for a long time only to get Nul Points.

*Everyone knows only Ronnie could get away with a brown suit.
Remember, the O.P. is an Arborist, what will he do for work down under once he trims the tree?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:30 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, there's always Canada. It's like America, but without the PATRIOT Act. And there's no shortage of trees...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Remember, the O.P. is an Arborist, what will he do for work down under once he trims the tree?
http://www.airninja.com/pictures/out...pulation-4.jpg
Hehehe. Says one tree surgeon to the other: Queensland ain't big enough for the both of us.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.