Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi I am New.

Hi I am New.

Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I am New.

Just did a google for you on the cost of a/c in Orlando annually. Here's the result:

How much does central air cost for a 1000 square foot home?

Type and cost summary Type (cooling zone)

Pros Cost

Higher efficiency Wall (1,000 sq.ft.) Flexible location $2,225
Under window

Central (1,000 sq.ft.) Higher efficiency $3,598

Note that is only 1,000 sq. ft. Any home that you purchase will be at least double that sq. footage. Seems like the $190 you were budgeting for is a very low estimate.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
.... Note that is only 1,000 sq. ft. Any home that you purchase will be at least double that sq. footage. Seems like the $190 you were budgeting for is a very low estimate.
I thought the $190 was the monthly electricity bill.

If so, then that is at the lower end of what it possible, depending on the cost of electricity.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought the $190 was the monthly electricity bill.

If so, then that is at the lower end of what it possible, depending on the cost of electricity.
Of course it was. However, $3598 annual would be approx. $300 per month averaged out for 1,000 sq. ft.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:40 pm
Concierge

You have probably already seen and read this thread but this would be most useful to you in setting up a budget of living expenses for Orlando.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...lorida-899554/
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it was. However, $3598 annual would be approx. $300 per month averaged out for 1,000 sq. ft.
I got curious and analysed my bills. 1100 sf low efficiency house. Attached are the usage details for my account by month for 2 years. it varies from $40 to $165 a month
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Document.txt (938 Bytes, 61 views)
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:45 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I got curious and analysed my bills. 1100 sf low efficiency house. Attached are the usage details for my account by month for 2 years. it varies from $40 to $165 a month
Hahahaha. 12 cents per kWh. Most of my kWh cost $0.277. So it's around $20/day to run my a/c. Fortunately, I only do that one or two days per month in the summer.

This is CA where we are obsessed with renewables. They keep telling us that wind and solar are now cheaper than fossil fuels but my electric bill says otherwise.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

JOK1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm sorry, but I just sussed what you're contemplating doing. By selling up the business, you're effectively going to put everyone who currently works for you out of a job for no other reason than you want to relocate to the US.

I'm sorry... but that just doesn't sit well with me - so I'm out of this thread.

Ian
There is a lot of people like you Ian who seem to be making things up in their own heads, at no point did I say putting anyone out of a Job, thank you for your replies but this reply your way out of line and off the mark to be making such a judgemental remark about myself.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
to be fair Ian, if he manages to sell the business then it will presumably carry on as a business employing people.
Exactly, as mentioned way off and personal views like Ian's should be just that, person.

If I sold the business in the UK then the new owner would continue the business like I would if I brought a USA business.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

You have probably already seen and read this thread but this would be most useful to you in setting up a budget of living expenses for Orlando.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...lorida-899554/
OK thank you, will take a look.

All information no matter how daunting it sounds helps, thanks.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JOK1
There is a lot of people like you Ian who seem to be making things up in their own heads, at no point did I say putting anyone out of a Job, thank you for your replies but this reply your way out of line and off the mark to be making such a judgemental remark about myself.
Ian is one of the most knowledgable forum members when it comes to immigration matters. Having him bow out is a loss to the thread IMO.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Hahahaha. 12 cents per kWh. Most of my kWh cost $0.277. So it's around $20/day to run my a/c. Fortunately, I only do that one or two days per month in the summer.

This is CA where we are obsessed with renewables. They keep telling us that wind and solar are now cheaper than fossil fuels but my electric bill says otherwise.
To be precise, it is 10.31 cents for the first 1000 and 12.73 cents thereafter! I don't have excel handy, so can't come up with the actual/average costs over the period.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 6:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, you said "how much does AC cost" which looks to me like how much to buy an AC unit, not "how much does it cost to run AC", which is apparently what you meant.

Anyhow cost-to-run numbers are critically dependent on insulation, roof reflectivity, and how cool you try to make your house, among other things, and so could vary massively for two house of the same size.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ian is one of the most knowledgable forum members when it comes to immigration matters. Having him bow out is a loss to the thread IMO.
Never questioned him or his knowledge but he seem fit to question my morals which is strange from someone who has never met me until today so to be doing so to me is rude and impolite.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 8:41 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Anyhow cost-to-run numbers are critically dependent on insulation, roof reflectivity, and how cool you try to make your house, among other things, and so could vary massively for two house of the same size.
And landscaping. For example, trees are very good at helping keep the place cool. Hardscape yards tend to make the house hot. The impact of these variables is surprisingly significant.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 8:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JOK1
Never questioned him or his knowledge but he seem fit to question my morals which is strange from someone who has never met me until today so to be doing so to me is rude and impolite.
That's Ian - but he's also usually right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.