Reload this Page >

Hi I am New.

Hi I am New.

Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

JOK1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi I am New.

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
If your main worry is your children, then it probably isn't a move for you. Your children will have to leave at 21 unless they can get a Visa in their own right.

As someone who moved to Florida two years ago, I would say that you need to understand that frequent visits as a tourist do not equip you for life here or help you understand "the lifestyle". I had an easier route and had previously lived in Michigan. I had also spent 25 years visiting Orlando usually annually. I didn't know the lifestyle and you won't either.

My advice is look deep before you leap. The E2 is a rough road and it's not an immigrant Visa. Your ability to stay is not guaranteed and can be taken away at every renewal (usually 2-5 years). WIth the current climate on immigration (bear in mind Trump is currently saying that he wants to curb green cards for family of US Citizens) there is a risk that EVERY visa category could be withdrawn or tightened. It is a huge risk.

In my 2 years here, I have seen 4 families come on the E2 and leave within a year because they thought they "knew" things they didn't. For example, do you know how much health insurance will cost your family per month? Do you know what a summer electricity bill looks like in Florida?

When you're here on vacation, you don't have to think about how much having that air conditioning on all day costs or how much it will cost you if your kid falls over playing dodge ball and breaks their wrist. You don't have to worry about how much groceries are because you're here spending disposable income. It's different when you live here and earn here.

I am not here to trample on your "dream" but trust me, these things come as a harsh lesson when you're here.
OK thank you, we already have seen how much life insurance is and for us this is not an issue, we already pay for private health care in the UK, everyone says how great the NHS but its not, that's another story altogether.

As for running costs of electricity ect we are looking at what the cost of electricity is, we have air con and fans etc here in the UK that we use so again I am sure it will not be a shock on there usage.

Yes we need to look at electricity, gas, home insurance, phone costs but we also need to know how to get to the USA.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JOK1
... so where would I be working...
If you transfer to the US on L visas, you'd work for the US branch of your existing UK business until such time as you get a green card. Granted, this isn't as convenient as starting a new E-2 business immediately, but I believe the advantages here outweigh the disadvantages. Since you'd be not only an employee of the US branch but an owner of the US branch, you could sponsor your family for green cards as soon as you arrive in the US. The only caveat in all this, is that the UK business must continue to operate at least until you get a green card in your hand.

If you got an L-1 visa, your wife and children would get L-2 derivative visas. Your children wouldn't be able to work (but they could go to school), but your wife would get an EAD and be allowed to work for anyone she wants... and she could also open a business.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you transfer to the US on L visas, you'd work for the US branch of your existing UK business until such time as you get a green card. Granted, this isn't as convenient as starting a new E-2 business immediately, but I believe the advantages here outweigh the disadvantages. Since you'd be not only an employee of the US branch but an owner of the US branch, you could sponsor your family for green cards as soon as you arrive in the US. The only caveat in all this, is that the UK business must continue to operate at least until you get a green card in your hand.

If you got an L-1 visa, your wife and children would get L-2 derivative visas. Your children wouldn't be able to work (but they could go to school), but your wife would get an EAD and be allowed to work for anyone she wants... and she could also open a business.

Ian
This would be a nice idea but I can see some pitfalls,

Staring up and how to in the USA.
Money to start up the business in the USA.
Finding customers and suppliers in the USA.

Then when my family is away from the business in the UK I would need to employee more UK staff as currently myself and wife work full time and my sons part time, this added expense along with a new business start up may tip the company over and any value I have in the business would be lost.

As said it would be a great idea but not possible.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute

OK thank you, we already have seen how much life insurance is and for us this is not an issue, we already pay for private health care in the UK, everyone says how great the NHS but its not, that's another story altogether.

As for running costs of electricity ect we are looking at what the cost of electricity is, we have air con and fans etc here in the UK that we use so again I am sure it will not be a shock on there usage.

Yes we need to look at electricity, gas, home insurance, phone costs but we also need to know how to get to the USA.

I would trade for the NHS in a heart beat. If you think that healthcare here is better, it really isn't, it's just more expensive. How much do you pay for your private health care in the UK? If it's similar to what I paid back home, then you're in for a shock. How much is your monthly electric cost in the UK? Again, if it's similar to what mine was back home, then again, you're in for a shock. Look deep before you leap.

As for your children. They can't just find a job here. They have to have some form of visa in their own right at 21. That may be a student visa, their own E2 or a work based visa. Employers rarely sponsor work based visas if they can help it. It costs them too much money. If I were you I would talk to people who have gone this route. Talk to people about how they solved the problem with their kids and those who have had to put their kids on a plane back to the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:24 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

This would be a nice idea but I can see some pitfalls,

Staring up and how to in the USA.
Money to start up the business in the USA.
Finding customers and suppliers in the USA.

Then when my family is away from the business in the UK I would need to employee more UK staff as currently myself and wife work full time and my sons part time, this added expense along with a new business start up may tip the company over and any value I have in the business would be lost.

As said it would be a great idea but not possible.
But how much is the new business you want to buy going to cost you? And that would be your sole source of income with your plan. With Ian's plan you would have your wife's income as a back-up.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
I would trade for the NHS in a heart beat. If you think that healthcare here is better, it really isn't, it's just more expensive. How much do you pay for your private health care in the UK? If it's similar to what I paid back home, then you're in for a shock. How much is your monthly electric cost in the UK? Again, if it's similar to what mine was back home, then again, you're in for a shock. Look deep before you leap.

As for your children. They can't just find a job here. They have to have some form of visa in their own right at 21. That may be a student visa, their own E2 or a work based visa. Employers rarely sponsor work based visas if they can help it. It costs them too much money. If I were you I would talk to people who have gone this route. Talk to people about how they solved the problem with their kids and those who have had to put their kids on a plane back to the UK.
Health costs 120.00 UK pounds or around 150 ish USD per month
Electric 160.00 UK Pounds or around 190.00 USD per month

As for talking to other, this is why I joined here as I hoped to meet others who have been or are in a similar position.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
But how much is the new business you want to buy going to cost you? And that would be your sole source of income with your plan. With Ian's plan you would have your wife's income as a back-up.
I thought my wife could still work on the E2 visa?

On the I-765 visa?
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, I am told by many that I will die at work the amount of work I do.

I would have at least 25 years of working in America before the need to think of a return.

As for what type of business, I am quite open, looking at various things at present from running a Sports Bar to Home Maintance.
On an E2 you will have around two years working in the US, and then will have to apply for it again, and you will have to prove that the business is thriving and making money, otherwise it's 'home you go' or rather stay as you will have to apply for the new E2 from the UK. It's a very dodgy way to live in the US, as you not only have to worry about the business going OK, but also that it's doing well enough for a new visa to be granted. I would suspect e very stressful way of going about things.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought my wife could still work on the E2 visa?

On the I-765 visa?
Forget the L, when you said business we were thing of a business with employees etc, sounds like you are effectively self employed

What do you currently do, the two options you mentioned require very different skill sets, are you a Licensed Contractor?
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a long long time living in Florida.

Health care costs have increased dramatically since Obamacare. My own plan increased by about 65% to over $300 per month. That was for a single, healthy person in his late 20s. It's not politically correct to point out in many quarters that Obamacare kicked a lot - and I mean, A LOT - of people in the face.

I can't remember what electricity bills were like in Florida, but you are running the air conditioner from April until October or even sometimes November. The heat/humidity gets really oppressive in summer; there is a daily 4 o'clock thunderstorm (you can set your watch to it) and cockroaches the size of sharks.

Do you or your kids speak Spanish? If not - it will be a good idea to learn if you are planning on settling in Florida. It used to primarily be Cubans fleeing from Castro who came to Florida, and they were an immensely powerful political bloc that overwhelmingly voted Republican (that delivered George W Bush to the White House). In the 1990s people from all over South America and the Caribbean began arriving, which began diluting the power of the Cuban-American bloc and they are not nearly as influential as they once were and that is reflected in the state's political trends. But knowledge of Spanish is recommended to essential, and a knowledge of Haitian Creole or Portuguese wouldn't hurt, as towns like Orlando and Tampa have begun absorbing overflow of residents out of Miami.

But all this is assuming you can get a visa, which seems to be a very big question mark.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Health costs 120.00 UK pounds or around 150 ish USD per month
Electric 160.00 UK Pounds or around 190.00 USD per month

As for talking to other, this is why I joined here as I hoped to meet others who have been or are in a similar position.
From what I have read you would need to add a zero at the end of the monthly health costs, so think on the thousands not the hundreds, and that would only cover part of the costs.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carcajou
I spent a long long time living in Florida.

Health care costs have increased dramatically since Obamacare. My own plan increased by about 65% to over $300 per month. That was for a single, healthy person in his late 20s. It's not politically correct to point out in many quarters that Obamacare kicked a lot - and I mean, A LOT - of people in the face.

I can't remember what electricity bills were like in Florida, but you are running the air conditioner from April until October or even sometimes November. The heat/humidity gets really oppressive in summer; there is a daily 4 o'clock thunderstorm (you can set your watch to it) and cockroaches the size of sharks.

Do you or your kids speak Spanish? If not - it will be a good idea to learn if you are planning on settling in Florida. It used to primarily be Cubans fleeing from Castro who came to Florida, and they were an immensely powerful political bloc that overwhelmingly voted Republican (that delivered George W Bush to the White House). In the 1990s people from all over South America and the Caribbean began arriving, which began diluting the power of the Cuban-American bloc and they are not nearly as influential as they once were and that is reflected in the state's political trends. But knowledge of Spanish is recommended to essential, and a knowledge of Haitian Creole or Portuguese wouldn't hurt, as towns like Orlando and Tampa have begun absorbing overflow of residents out of Miami.

But all this is assuming you can get a visa, which seems to be a very big question mark.
OCare premiums went up 20% in my State last year and looks like they will do the same again this year.

Lots of people hurting.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Forget the L, when you said business we were thing of a business with employees etc, sounds like you are effectively self employed

What do you currently do, the two options you mentioned require very different skill sets, are you a Licensed Contractor?
Sorry not sure where you got the idea of self employed?

It's a business with employees but what's being suggested is remove the manager director and the finical controller out the business and let is run, that's not possible, you need an accounts person to run a business and when you take this persona away from the business they have to be replaced.

It's a fully limited UK business.

We are manufactures and suppliers of equipment to the aviation industry.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
OCare premiums went up 20% in my State last year and looks like they will do the same again this year.

Lots of people hurting.

Which is something OP needs to watch. Not sure the regulations for businesses in Florida and Obamacare. OP - most Americans (about 70%) get their health insurance from their employers. Obamacare has an "employer mandate" that says you must provide health insurance for your employees if your business is a certain size or greater.

At any rate - employer health insurance is a significant employment benefit and is ingrained in the culture, and based on the type of business you provide, you may find that even if you are not subject to the mandate, you have to provide it to keep talent from leaving to competitors. That is a significant extra expense you need to investigate.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Sorry not sure where you got the idea of self employed?

It's a business with employees but what's being suggested is remove the manager director and the finical controller out the business and let is run, that's not possible, you need an accounts person to run a business and when you take this persona away from the business they have to be replaced.

It's a fully limited UK business.

We are manufactures and suppliers of equipment to the aviation industry.
Ahh I thought there was just the 3 of you in the Business.

Well that opens many more options as of course the US Aviation Business is much larger than the UK.

Like any other multinational you have local management but the MD etc will be in one country.

Not sure how that fits in with a Sports Bar or Construction which are very different fields. I have some knowledge of both and things in the US are very different to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.