Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hi ho hi ho of to another job interview i go!!

hi ho hi ho of to another job interview i go!!

Old May 1st 2007, 5:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi ho hi ho of to another job interview i go!!

Originally Posted by Deedee13
nope nothing yet. I suppose no news is good news?? me thinks or should me be thinking something else! I hate this waiting around. Although i am applying to others while i am waiting.
YES to the latter. Keep as many of them on the run as possible. Having offers to play off each other comes in handy.
Old May 1st 2007, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

nope nothing yet. I suppose no news is good news?? me thinks or should me be thinking something else! I hate this waiting around. Although i am applying to others while i am waiting.
Well I hope you hear something although in our experience here no news usually means bad news. Did they give you a date on when you would hear or was it "you will hear from us soon" kind of thing?

Keep looking and good luck!
Old May 1st 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Well I hope you hear something although in our experience here no news usually means bad news. Did they give you a date on when you would hear or was it "you will hear from us soon" kind of thing?

Keep looking and good luck!
they told me weds or thurs. So we shall keep calm and keep looking and if i get it i get it if i dont at least it was a decent interview better than the first one i had.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

they told me weds or thurs. So we shall keep calm and keep looking and if i get it i get it if i dont at least it was a decent interview better than the first one i had.
good luck dee....yep what's to be will be, no need in getting yer knickers in a twist eh
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you given them a call or anything? I would never have dreamed of "following up" on an interview in the UK, but it seems to be the norm here. I had an interview that I thought went pretty well, and heard nothing. I gave them a call and said I was just following up on my interview and to find out if a decision had been made on the position, that time I didn't get the job, but the next time I did a follow up call, they called me back an hour later and offered the job.

Have never done it myself, but have seen friends write "thank you" notes after interviews too.

Maybe give them a call Friday morning if you don't hear anything. Good luck - if this one works out - great, if not something else better is out there for you I'm sure!
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

BEFORE the interview:

Read the company's web site.

Google on the company and read about projects they've undertaken, look at their references (their customers), pay attention to what their customers want. See where the company ranks in their market.... in the US, and abroad, and particular strengths and weaknesses where you think you can contribute.

Come up with a short list of questions -- try to ask one question of each person you speak with. If you get to speak with HR, ask for a summary of benefits for your consideration should you get an offer.

AFTER the interview:

1) Collect business cards of all the people you interview with. You get contact info and a name. When you can do so discreetly, write on the back a few words to help you remember what projects they are working on, etc.

2) Write *detailed* thank-you notes -- brief ones, but ones that show that you were paying attention. If you can point out specific ways you could contribute to the company, do it. Many programmers have been known to send in code to solve a problem the company was facing!
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to send the butt kissing email to the people who interview the next day. Made me puke to do it but it worked. Everyone I have interviewes since has sent me an email telling me how they would love to work for me and our fabulous company. It is an expected so if you don't do it they will think you are too "different"
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

PhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of light

If its any consolation I just secured my first job in the USA. It took me months to get interviews, then two came along at once. The first one took 2 weeks for a response, by mail, saying no. They even spelled my name wrong!

The second one, Delta, followed up with a call 1 week later to the day saying yes. Hopefully that gives you an idea for the time it takes to go through the bureaucratic process of recruitment!
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilH930
If its any consolation I just secured my first job in the USA. It took me months to get interviews, then two came along at once. The first one took 2 weeks for a response, by mail, saying no. They even spelled my name wrong!

The second one, Delta, followed up with a call 1 week later to the day saying yes. Hopefully that gives you an idea for the time it takes to go through the bureaucratic process of recruitment!
delta? Would love to do something like that but not sure the right way to go about it.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:39 pm
Lapine Member

delta? Would love to do something like that but not sure the right way to go about it.
Nearly every US company has got a website.... look at "about us" and there's usually a careers link.