Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone!

Old May 16th 2004, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi Everyone!

Well things are finally settling down here - been a crazy few weeks. It's taken a lot more adjusting than I ever expected and I still get days when all I want is to go home - had problems with my car (AC broke and going to cost a fortune to get fixed - not good in Memphis!), someone crashed into me last week and just taking some time to get used to the difference in the whole work ethic. Been working 8 till 6.30 or later every day and no-one seems to take a lunch break!

But overall so far the good has outweighed the bad. My boyfriend over here has had an awful lot to deal with lately and we're just trying to work through all that. His ex g/f had a baby 2 mos ago and basically he was one of a possible 4 fathers :-( We thought the chance of her being his baby was remote - they split over a year ago and basically spent one night together and never saw each other again after that - she moved 4 hours away. Anyway he got the test results back last week and the baby is his. Mum is with someone else now and taking drugs etc and he is worried sick about his little girl. He has gone to the child support office and told them and set the ball in motion for paying CS etc and getting some time with her but so far his ex has been very confrontational. Now she's been thrown out of her b/fs house and staying in a really bad area and calls him yesterday to ask for help so he drove down there last night to help her.

I trust him but a part of me is terrified that when they are together with the baby it will rekindle old feelings etc and he will bring her back here. I know that's selfish of me but this has all made me realise how reliant I have been on him so far - this weekend has been kinda shitty since I dont know anyone and just feel really alone. Anyway he will be home late tonight and then leaves for ORegon on Wed to go stay with his family for a week :-(

And tell me.... anyone living in the South - how long did it take you to get used to the heat? I know it hasnt got as hot yet as it will but I am struggling already!!!

Hope everyone is doing good! Take care. Lesley :-D
Old May 16th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hi Everyone!

Originally posted by Lesley1020
Well things are finally settling down here - been a crazy few weeks. It's taken a lot more adjusting than I ever expected and I still get days when all I want is to go home - had problems with my car (AC broke and going to cost a fortune to get fixed - not good in Memphis!), someone crashed into me last week and just taking some time to get used to the difference in the whole work ethic. Been working 8 till 6.30 or later every day and no-one seems to take a lunch break!

But overall so far the good has outweighed the bad. My boyfriend over here has had an awful lot to deal with lately and we're just trying to work through all that. His ex g/f had a baby 2 mos ago and basically he was one of a possible 4 fathers :-( We thought the chance of her being his baby was remote - they split over a year ago and basically spent one night together and never saw each other again after that - she moved 4 hours away. Anyway he got the test results back last week and the baby is his. Mum is with someone else now and taking drugs etc and he is worried sick about his little girl. He has gone to the child support office and told them and set the ball in motion for paying CS etc and getting some time with her but so far his ex has been very confrontational. Now she's been thrown out of her b/fs house and staying in a really bad area and calls him yesterday to ask for help so he drove down there last night to help her.

I trust him but a part of me is terrified that when they are together with the baby it will rekindle old feelings etc and he will bring her back here. I know that's selfish of me but this has all made me realise how reliant I have been on him so far - this weekend has been kinda shitty since I dont know anyone and just feel really alone. Anyway he will be home late tonight and then leaves for ORegon on Wed to go stay with his family for a week :-(

And tell me.... anyone living in the South - how long did it take you to get used to the heat? I know it hasnt got as hot yet as it will but I am struggling already!!!

Hope everyone is doing good! Take care. Lesley :-D
Lesley I think you sound like you are coping very well considering all that is going on - the relocation alone is enough for most of us to cope with but your personal situation sounds stressful on top of all that too. If you want to PM me for someone to talk to you can I'll only have a computer for a couple more days, then I will be in the throws of relocating too.
All the best.