Hi and bye

Old May 19th 2004, 2:15 pm
madscientist

Default Hi and bye

I came here to talk to people who have moved to the US from the UK so I could maybe meet some nice people and get some advice that I could pass on to my husband.

However, the vast majority of people I've talked to here do nothing but slam my native country...if you hate it so much then leave...and tell me how it's not going to be a rose garden, while viciously criticizing me for uttering ANY reason for leaving the United Kingdom. I hate to tell you guys this, but I am American. I know exactly what it's like to live in America in a way that you new arrivals never will. It's different when you were born there. I also know what it's like to live in the UK, which is why I want to go home. In my opinion, the US is better. No matter what you people say, we will go home. We will have adequate healthcare. We will make more money than we did here. We will have a better life. Speaking to you lot reminds me why I want to leave the UK. The British are a bunch of miserable whingers with few exceptions.

So, to most of you, thanks for nothing. To the tiny number of people who were actually nice, thank you.

Bye.

Old May 19th 2004, 2:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

please come and slag our country off again sometime soon.

you are homesick, yet hide behind the NHS is crap as a reason to leave.

You tried also to tell an state licensed insurance agent that you know more about insurance cos you were born here.

We honestly couldn't give a monkeys whether your British/Yank/Martian, but you tried telling a bunch of British citizens that the NHS was crap which is forcing you to come to the USA, while at the end of the day, you just want to come home. If you properly read the thread I perused that possibiliuty and said there was nothing wrong with that, we all understand homesickness.

We gave you a ton of practical advice and various other options to weigh up but no, we're whingers.

Last edited by manc1976; May 19th 2004 at 2:27 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 2:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi and bye

Originally posted by madscientist
I I hate to tell you guys this, but I am American. I know exactly what it's like to live in America in a way that you new arrivals never will. It's different when you were born there.
What that word that comes to mind?... Ah yes!! BULLSHIT
Old May 19th 2004, 2:32 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE][i] The British are a bunch of miserable whingers with few exceptions.

so we are a bunch of whingers who know nothing
and you are a yank that knows everything
wow you are in for a big shock
Old May 19th 2004, 2:38 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stop crying, I am going to miss madscientist so much. Oh sorry, I'd rather have an enema. I don't beleive she's american, I don't beleive she is a she, I think she came on here to flame and I will not be sorry to see her/him/it go. And if all she said was true I pity that poor baby.h
Old May 19th 2004, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

I came here to talk to people who have moved to the US from the UK so I could maybe meet some nice people and get some advice that I could pass on to my husband.

However, the vast majority of people I've talked to here do nothing but slam my native country...if you hate it so much then leave...and tell me how it's not going to be a rose garden, while viciously criticizing me for uttering ANY reason for leaving the United Kingdom. I hate to tell you guys this, but I am American. I know exactly what it's like to live in America in a way that you new arrivals never will. It's different when you were born there. I also know what it's like to live in the UK, which is why I want to go home. In my opinion, the US is better. No matter what you people say, we will go home. We will have adequate healthcare. We will make more money than we did here. We will have a better life. Speaking to you lot reminds me why I want to leave the UK. The British are a bunch of miserable whingers with few exceptions.

So, to most of you, thanks for nothing. To the tiny number of people who were actually nice, thank you.

Bye.
I am afraid that you made the unfortunate mistake of being critical of the UK. I have found that although Brits tend to ridicule Americans for being overly defensive about their country, Brits are really no different.

For the record - I think NHS is rubbish. I realize that I am fortunate to have an extremely generous healthcare plan through my US employer, but I really cannot understand people who defend a system of ill-equiped Victorian hospitals that they pay for through excessive taxes. But then again, everyone has different experiences and different needs. I am happy having access to top quality care and having a higher annual income than I would in the UK. Again, I have the luxury of an employer who provides my coverage.
Old May 19th 2004, 2:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
I am afraid that you made the unfortunate mistake of being critical of the UK. I have found that although Brits tend to ridicule Americans for being overly defensive about their country, Brits are really no different.
Exactly, I wouldn't go on Americanexpats.co.uk and not expect a gobful either if I did the same thing about the US.

Last edited by manc1976; May 19th 2004 at 3:16 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 3:43 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I think maybe you have the wrong site then, because this is a site for British Expats (that is why it is called britishexpats.com) and not American expats wanting to come back. Being a British expat site means that brits come here to talk and complain and sympathise and offer help to other brits who are in the same boat or have been there and done that. Therefore brits are going to complain about where they live just as if you go to the site that Manc has listed you will find Americans commenting about their new home country.

And by the way, who is the 'we' want to go home? I thought your husband was british and therefore isn't he already home?

Wasn't it 3 years you said you had been in the UK for? It isn't very long to give a place a chance. At the 3 year mark for me in the US, I had had enough, critisized every little bit about this place and got depressed very quickly. Now that I have been here for the 5 years, things are looking very different but I have had to work at it, just like a marriage has to be worked at.

By all means rush back to our home country, if that is what you want, but what about your husband? Are you thinking of how he is going to feel in 3 years time when he is homesick? I hope you will be able to support him as much as he seems to be supporting you with you wanting to move
Old May 19th 2004, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Bye.
Hi
I do not hate your country and if you have any question to ask me for your husband please feel free. I have been here since December, live in TX.

THX.
Old May 19th 2004, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

You come in here slamming the U.K. and then leave in a hissy fit when someone does the same to the U.S.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

British Expats - we're a nice bunch of people!

I don't see any reason to believe she isn't a she, nor or USC. FFS, have you checked your tin foil hat for holes?

I hardly think she was "slamming" the UK or the NHS - she just couldn't find the treatment she needed. There are pros and cons to both the US and UK health care systems, we all know that, but at the end of the day if you think that the NHS is wonderful, you're fooling yourself. It's horribly overstretched and underfunded, especially with the escalating costs of new technology and treatments. There's regular coverage in the news about the waiting lists, the lack of hospital beds, the antiquated wards, the inability to provide treatments due to costs and so on.

What a lovely impression you've given her - and any anonymous reader who might pass this way - about what this forum is all about.
Old May 19th 2004, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

You come in here slamming the U.K. and then leave in a hissy fit when someone does the same to the U.S.
I'll second that!!!

Ash
Old May 19th 2004, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by Scorchio

I don't see any reason to believe she isn't a she, nor or USC. FFS, have you checked your tin foil hat for holes?

I hardly think she was "slamming" the UK or the NHS - she just couldn't find the treatment she needed. There are pros and cons to both the US and UK health care systems, we all know that, but at the end of the day if you think that the NHS is wonderful, you're fooling yourself. It's horribly overstretched and underfunded, especially with the escalating costs of new technology and treatments. There's regular coverage in the news about the waiting lists, the lack of hospital beds, the antiquated wards, the inability to provide treatments due to costs and so on.

What a lovely impression you've given her - and any anonymous reader who might pass this way - about what this forum is all about.
I know, some of them are real charmers alright -not! Totally agree about the antiquated health service here. Twice I have had to go to the emergency room in the UK (nearest hospital miles away of course and was kept waiting four hours the first time and two hours the second - on a Monday morning early when there was no-one else there, no doctor either). I had to visit the emergency room of our local hospital in the US (just 5 minutes drive away) on a Sunday morning was was seen in 5 minutes. Can you imagine an early Sunday morning in a British Casualty - bursting at the seams! I have health coverage through my husband's job (it costs $10 for a visit to the doctors and $10 per prescription and he pays $50 per month for the both of us).

I have been in hospital several times in the UK, all private hospitals and every time it was really good service and you felt like people cared. I have seen the shabby National Health hospitals, my father-in-law died in one and it was a disgrace.
Old May 19th 2004, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scorchio

Not that I want to get any deeper into this argument, but I have posted and moderated quite a few boards over the last few years, and I have found that no matter what board it is, or no matter who you are, nothing gets a worse reaction than a "I'm leaving" thread. Its very similar to the "Its my ball and I'm taking it home" tantrum.
Old May 19th 2004, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default Wot? Shabby? Us?

You calling us shabby? Been to CMC in Scranton lately, lady? I don't see a massive difference in health care, except over here they pass the valium more readily and you pay out a lot more. Waiting times, treatment, friendliness, cleanliness, SHABBIness.... not a whole lot of a difference IMO.

Oh... more bearded doctors over here (and that's just the women.... )

heheh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.