Hi

Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:10 pm
Zoe
Forum Regular

Zoe will become famous soon enoughZoe will become famous soon enough
Default Hi

Hi

I am Zoe - used to be on this Forum, but can't remember my old name and password, so I've re-registered.

Been living in Lakeland, Florida for 8 years - hubby, Steve, and I run a Pool Servicing company. Got 2 kids with us, who are now both at college here - One at UF in Gainesville and one at Florida Southern in Lakeland. Just putting our daughter on an F1 visa.

We are here on an E2 Visa and I am one of the co founders of a group who are trying to Reform the E2 Visa. We are lobbying Congress to ask them if after reaching certain criteria, it would be possible to apply for Green Cards.

I hope not to get negative comments about this, as I have had in the past - we are all doing what we can to survive in this world and just because we knew the rules of this visa when we first used it, doesn't mean we can never ask for change.

The E2 Visa is much more uncertain than it used to be. We are just trying to get some future stability for these visa holders and with the Government talking so much about small businesses and job creation, now is the best time ever to get our point across.

Looking forward to meeting new friends - hopefully some new E2 Visa Holders from around the US.

Zoe
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi

Hi Zoe...as you are not a new member to BE I have moved your thread into the US forums.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 3:13 pm
Zoe
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Oct 9th 2011, 3:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Zoe is good people ... be nice please
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:08 pm
Zoe
Forum Regular

Thank you for the support Ray

Take Care
Zoe
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=86380

I presume this was your previous incarnation.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...E2+visa+reform

To try and stop a repeat it was all said here.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe
I hope not to get negative comments about this, as I have had in the past - we are all doing what we can to survive in this world and just because we knew the rules of this visa when we first used it, doesn't mean we can never ask for change.

The E2 Visa is much more uncertain than it used to be. We are just trying to get some future stability for these visa holders and with the Government talking so much about small businesses and job creation, now is the best time ever to get our point across.
Since I don't want to be negative, let me ask you... how has your project progressed in the 3 years since your last group of posts?

Ian
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I think you got some pretty good feedback last time around, Nina I mean Zoe.

It is a totally different type of visa with a different intent. It is like saying that the F1 visa should allow a student to apply for a green card after 4 years. There are other pathways for that. The intent of the visa is totally different. The E2 is a temporary business visa!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:28 pm
Zoe
Forum Regular

Hi all and thank you for the comments.

By the way, I'm not Nina - she is a friend of mine, working on the same issue. I was Zoe A in my previous posts.

I don't really understand why there is so much hostility on this forum about people on E2 visas. We have all come to the US for, I assume, a better way of life and those on E2s are just part of the whole immigration system.

Yes I agree the E2 is a Non Immigrant - temporary - visa, but so are the L visas and the H1b visas and both of them give you the option to change your status and apply for Green Cards.

Why does it seem to anger so many of you that we are trying to be given that option if we reach certain levels of investment and job creation?

When our family came here 8 years ago, we didn't know much about forums and looking for advice from others who had already moved here. We went on one forum that was a Homeowners forum - as we owned a house here already - and spoke to a few people people we became friendly with on there. We didn't own a company and my husband and I didn't have the experience and qualifications that were needed for an H1B visa. So we chose the option that was open to us.

But we now have a successful business, we have kids who have completely involved themselves in the life here, and we would like to stay and feel that we are part of the immigrant community that enriches the US.

I have been involved in the E2 Reform issue for over 4 years. I would never have dreamed it was a possibility to ask the US Government to change a law for us, but when a Bill was put forward in 2007, we realized that it could become a possibility.

A lot of hard work has gone into this now and we are much further along than we have ever been - we have made many trips to Washington and met with many people - some we thought were helpful and turned out not to be and others who have become supporters of ours.

I was told it takes on average 8 years to get a Bill through Congress, so we still have a way to go, but if I listened to everyone who has told me that this reform would never happen, I wouldn't be in the position I am now.

I am not going to go into details of what is happening at the moment, as I am pretty sure it will be picked over, but there is a distinct possibility of change. I am not going to give up until I am told there is no hope by the people who can bring these changes about.

There has been more small pieces of immigration reform happening this year than ever before and we must take hope from that.

I do not judge anyone elses immigrant status - be it immigrant, non immigrant, legal or undocumented and I hope the same will now apply to all of the naysayers out there on this issue.

I have rejoined this Forum in the hope of contacting other E2 Visa Holders around the US.

Thank you
Zoe
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zoe
Hi all and thank you for the comments.

By the way, I'm not Nina - she is a friend of mine, working on the same issue. I was Zoe A in my previous posts.

I don't really understand why there is so much hostility on this forum about people on E2 visas. We have all come to the US for, I assume, a better way of life and those on E2s are just part of the whole immigration system.

Yes I agree the E2 is a Non Immigrant - temporary - visa, but so are the L visas and the H1b visas and both of them give you the option to change your status and apply for Green Cards.

Why does it seem to anger so many of you that we are trying to be given that option if we reach certain levels of investment and job creation?

When our family came here 8 years ago, we didn't know much about forums and looking for advice from others who had already moved here. We went on one forum that was a Homeowners forum - as we owned a house here already - and spoke to a few people people we became friendly with on there. We didn't own a company and my husband and I didn't have the experience and qualifications that were needed for an H1B visa. So we chose the option that was open to us.

But we now have a successful business, we have kids who have completely involved themselves in the life here, and we would like to stay and feel that we are part of the immigrant community that enriches the US.

I have been involved in the E2 Reform issue for over 4 years. I would never have dreamed it was a possibility to ask the US Government to change a law for us, but when a Bill was put forward in 2007, we realized that it could become a possibility.

A lot of hard work has gone into this now and we are much further along than we have ever been - we have made many trips to Washington and met with many people - some we thought were helpful and turned out not to be and others who have become supporters of ours.

I was told it takes on average 8 years to get a Bill through Congress, so we still have a way to go, but if I listened to everyone who has told me that this reform would never happen, I wouldn't be in the position I am now.

I am not going to go into details of what is happening at the moment, as I am pretty sure it will be picked over, but there is a distinct possibility of change. I am not going to give up until I am told there is no hope by the people who can bring these changes about.

There has been more small pieces of immigration reform happening this year than ever before and we must take hope from that.

I do not judge anyone elses immigrant status - be it immigrant, non immigrant, legal or undocumented and I hope the same will now apply to all of the naysayers out there on this issue.

I have rejoined this Forum in the hope of contacting other E2 Visa Holders around the US.

Thank you
Zoe

Glad to hear it. I doubt many of us really feel one way or another about the issue. If the government did decide to change it, we wouldn't be angered. But as it stands now, it doesn't really allow for that transition easily. Maybe investigate the possibility of EB-1.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:14 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe

I read everyone of the posts in the original thread linked to above. I hope Pinkcat does not return, as she is not a good spokesman for your cause.

The H1B visa (the visa i originally came over with) is specifically a dual intent visa. That means that my skills were sought after enough to be able to come over and work here, but If I so chose and my employer was willing, I could pursue permanent residency. I knew this. If it were not a dual intent visa, I would have left at the end of it as I agreed to. That's what is rubbing people up the wrong way. You made an agreement, now you want to change the rules to suit you.

Can I ask, are there any other visa groups that you are hoping to implement immigration reform for? Or only E2 visa holders because you happen to be one?

One of the recurring comments in the previous thread was that we were all selfish and ignorant. I would submit that bringing children (particularly young children) to the US knowing they would be booted when they came of age for YOUR dream is selfish.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:52 am
Zoe
Forum Regular

Hi again

Thank you Bilder for taking notice of my comments - we will see what happens with the work we are doing at the moment.

Michelmas - to answer one of your comments, my kids are now 20 and 18, and will not be 'booted' when they reach 21. We were very pleased that they both attended a local International Baccalaureate school and got a fantastic education. They are now at college and we are applying for my daughter to get an F1 - International Student Visa. It is our hope that when she graduates, she will be able to get a job here, get an H1B visa and be sponsored to get a Green Card in her own right. Her other option is to get married and although she has a boyfriend of 2 years, and they plan on getting married in the future, we would prefer that they don't have to marry for her to stay in the country.

One of the main reasons we got our last Bill sponsored was because the Member of Congress didn't think it was right that children were educated here at taxpayers expense and then not be able to stay when they finished college.

There is now a new movement in Congress to allow students with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) degrees - Masters or Phd - to be able to get Green Cards when they graduate.

To answer a couple of other questions - yes I do only work on reforming the E2 Visa. It is the visa I know the most about as it is the one that affects my family and I believe I can show the passion necessary to convince the Government change is good - not for us but for the Investment we bring and the Job Creation we make.

Yes we knew the visa was temporary when we came, but does that mean it can't be changed. Look at people who make a commitment to be married and that changes - life throws up lots of challenges and we must work round them as best we can.

When I work with Members of Congress, I treat them very respectfully. I believe it is a privilege to be living as a foreigner in this country and I would not do anything to jeopardize that.

Zoe
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:09 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe
Michelmas - to answer one of your comments, my kids are now 20 and 18, and will not be 'booted' when they reach 21. We were very pleased that they both attended a local International Baccalaureate school and got a fantastic education. They are now at college and we are applying for my daughter to get an F1 - International Student Visa. It is our hope that when she graduates, she will be able to get a job here, get an H1B visa and be sponsored to get a Green Card in her own right. Her other option is to get married and although she has a boyfriend of 2 years, and they plan on getting married in the future, we would prefer that they don't have to marry for her to stay in the country.

To answer a couple of other questions - yes I do only work on reforming the E2 Visa. It is the visa I know the most about as it is the one that affects my family and I believe I can show the passion necessary to convince the Government change is good - not for us but for the Investment we bring and the Job Creation we make.

Yes we knew the visa was temporary when we came, but does that mean it can't be changed. Look at people who make a commitment to be married and that changes - life throws up lots of challenges and we must work round them as best we can.
Zoe
Maybe YOUR children won't be booted, but many other E2 visa holders children will. And inferring your daughter should marry for immigration benefit, that's not cool.

The marriage analogy was the same tired one that Pinkcat used, and i see you didn't learn from her mistakes. Get married and if it works great, if it doesn't, get divorced. Those are the rules and everyone who gets married knows it going in to it.
Now get an E2 visa and if it works great, if it, doesn't GO HOME. Those are the rules and everyone knows it going in to it. No one is trying to change the marriage laws to say that spouses have to stay married and cohabitating even if things don't work out. E2 visa holders should have no expectation to change the rules part way through.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:31 am
Zoe
Forum Regular

I can see we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I really don't see what the problem is with asking for changes to be made.

The people we talk to in Washington also agree that it makes sense to allow those E2 Visa Holders who have made considerable investment and created jobs should be given an opportunity to stay here longer term.

Also if you reread my comments about my daughter you will see I am not saying she will marry to stay here. That is what we are avoiding. What I am saying is that she has met someone who she is planning on marrying but we are trying to give her the opportunity to stay without that being the way. We know that even if the Reform was agreed tomorrow, it would not be law in time for her.

Zoe
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:18 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
And inferring your daughter should marry for immigration benefit, that's not cool.
She didn't do any such thing. She actually said she would prefer if they DIDN'T get married for that reason. What about the many of us who have married not specifically because we wanted to do so at that point, but it was the only way we could remain together? Are we "not cool"?

Why are you going out of your way to belittle the efforts that the OP has made to try and improve their situation, and the situation many others on this visa are in?

OP - very best of luck to you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.