Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hey what is this place like?

hey what is this place like?

Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

chanteldmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile hey what is this place like?

Hello Im a nurse hopefully going to work in the children's hospital in central california near to Fresno. Could anyone advise what it is like there in Fresno as I have not visited there before? Thankyou so much chantel x
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hey what is this place like?

Welcome to the forum

Well I can't really help directly, but, there have been other threads about relocating around the states that did have good links in them, to work out cost of living, taxes that sort of thing.

Also, www.craiglist.org or whatever the extention is, pretty sure they'll have a section on where you want to be to look for apartments and other bits and bobs.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:48 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanteldmx
Could anyone advise what it is like there in Fresno as I have not visited there before? Thankyou so much chantel x
It reminds me a bit like Hackney

well maybe more like Moss Side with the crime rate of Toxteth.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

Cheerful as ever.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Hello Im a nurse hopefully going to work in the children's hospital in central california near to Fresno. Could anyone advise what it is like there in Fresno as I have not visited there before? Thankyou so much chantel x

Hi

I'm a nurse from Edinburgh now in the North Bay of San Francisco.

PM me and I'll help you out.

Paul
Old Mar 25th 2005, 4:18 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's in the the Central Valley, halfway between Sacramento and Los Angeles, surrounded by agricultural land, and quite close to Yosemite.

In the summer it gets hot. VERY hot. I mean REALLY *VERY* hot.

But it's a dry heat, so that's okay.

And BTW, summer starts in March and lasts till the end of October.

But until mid-June and after the end of August it's not too bad...

Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Shanbo5150 will become famous soon enough

Being in sales I've called in Fresno dozens of times over the years. Good preparation for living in Fresno might include more than a passing knowledge of John Steinbeck's books...think "Grapes of wrath" and so forth. It's a highly agricultural area, flat, dusty and as mentioned before, outrageously hot in the summer. It has a somewhat interesting downtown area with some good examples of early California buildings (as in more than 75 years old), coffee shops and small independant cafes. There's a good sized college there...Fresno State nicknamed the Bulldogs. Large Laoation Hmong tribespeople population (sent there after they helped the CIA during the Vietnam War apparently), and large hispanic population too due to the agriculture. It is not really "near" anywhere else...once outside Fresno's smallish downtown, it's mile upon mile of crop fields and tractors. Among those counties with populations of 500,000 or more, Fresno had the highest crime rate in 1999 - about 42 percent higher than the statewide rate. Anyway, hope your relocation goes well, Fresno will be a different expierence if nothing else.
Cheers
Shanbo
Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

chanteldmx is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou so much for your email... I hope you dont mind if I ask you a couple more questions... Did Fresno seem safe to you? I am going to be working at the childrens hospital just outside of fresno and we have looked at crime stats which are not as bad as say parts of new jersey where I had another job offer!! We might be living in somewhere called madera which is about 15miles north of fresno... When you say small downtown area what size city in england could you compare it with!! I know that san fran is about a 2-3 hr drive which is lovely... So is it all bad!!!!! Thankyou so so much x
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

If that's not bad enough, think of the worst place you've ever lived in and throw in lots of heat on top....might remind you something of hell if you've ever thought about it.

Ooh also, brush up on your spanish and if you don't know it....learn!!!!

Last edited by AmerLisa; Mar 26th 2005 at 8:31 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou so much for your email... I hope you dont mind if I ask you a couple more questions... Did Fresno seem safe to you? I am going to be working at the childrens hospital just outside of fresno and we have looked at crime stats which are not as bad as say parts of new jersey where I had another job offer!! We might be living in somewhere called madera which is about 15miles north of fresno... When you say small downtown area what size city in england could you compare it with!! I know that san fran is about a 2-3 hr drive which is lovely... So is it all bad!!!!! Thankyou so so much x

Though I live in the Central Valley, I've never actually been to Fresno.

Never could think of a reason, good or otherwise...

If you don't mind me saying - don't you think it might perhaps be a good idea to visit this place before upping sticks and relocating there?

I mean, have you even been to California, ever? How well do you know the States?

Just a thought