Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here we go again!

Here we go again!

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

While I've never been to Hawaii, I did spend a total of almost 3 years in a Forces environment in Cyprus; similar case, I think. Personally I enjoyed it immensly, however you definately sometimes do get the cut off/cabin fever syndrome. It affects some people more than others.

However, if your plans are only to spend 2 or 3 years there, I'd say you'd probably gain a lot from the experience. That said, when I was doing that I didn't have the school issue to worry about; as you said Englishtart, I think that's definately a cause for pause for thought.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the schools issue is the thing that worries me the most, actually being 'stuck' on an Island isn't that big a negative for me, I like to travel around the US, and it is nice having so many places to visit, without having to fly everywhere, but I lived on an Island (UK) for over 21 years and only left it twice, so not that big a deal really.

I talked to Jay this morning, he said another job opened up on the same base in HI, it's not as 'intense' as the other one, so he is writing the guy that is doing it now, to find out the details, but he thinks he will apply for it, closing date is Friday. We are trying to decide if it would be easier just to sell the house rather than rent, it would be very difficult for us to cover the mortgage (if it's unrented for any times) and pay living expenses elsewhere too. (especially HI) That way, IF it sells (big IF) we may even be able to consider a private school.

I want to apologize to all those on here that are having a tough time with lay-offs, or a hard time finding jobs, I had a PM that made me re-read my posts, I am hoping they don't come across in any way offensive, I'm posting about 'all' these job openings etc and you guys would be happy to find 'one' decent opening...I'm sorry if that's how this thread sounds, I am just trying to get some help/advice on different areas of the US.

Thank you to everyone that has been helpful
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
but I lived on an Island (UK) for over 21 years and only left it twice, so not that big a deal really.
Small islands definitely a bit different though to be honest...still, I think I would quite happily move to Hawaii if I had a chance! Good luck with it all, wherever you end up!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the schools issue is the thing that worries me the most, actually being 'stuck' on an Island isn't that big a negative for me, I like to travel around the US, and it is nice having so many places to visit, without having to fly everywhere, but I lived on an Island (UK) for over 21 years and only left it twice, so not that big a deal really.

I talked to Jay this morning, he said another job opened up on the same base in HI, it's not as 'intense' as the other one, so he is writing the guy that is doing it now, to find out the details, but he thinks he will apply for it, closing date is Friday. We are trying to decide if it would be easier just to sell the house rather than rent, it would be very difficult for us to cover the mortgage (if it's unrented for any times) and pay living expenses elsewhere too. (especially HI) That way, IF it sells (big IF) we may even be able to consider a private school.

I want to apologize to all those on here that are having a tough time with lay-offs, or a hard time finding jobs, I had a PM that made me re-read my posts, I am hoping they don't come across in any way offensive, I'm posting about 'all' these job openings etc and you guys would be happy to find 'one' decent opening...I'm sorry if that's how this thread sounds, I am just trying to get some help/advice on different areas of the US.

You don't have anything to apologize for Englishtart. I hope people aren't sending you PMs suggesting that you've been offensive, that's a bit uncalled for.

Best of luck with your future plans!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt' worry about it, if you've got the opportunities, go for it!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:48 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldnt' worry about it, if you've got the opportunities, go for it!
Exactly
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Dont apologise!

If anything the people and "friends" that are on here should be saying words of encouragement and happiness that your husband has those job oppotunities. So well done to you and your husband, good luck and i hope more people get to share in that joy in what is a difficult time!

*hugs*

ps. you sure you dont want to move to missouri?!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx guys (especially Bob, I hope things turn around for you real soon sweety )

We do realise that we are and have been very lucky that Jay has 'choices', to be totally honest though, it has made me realise that I just want us to be togeather, I'm just hoping that I don't forget this separation crap in the future and don't ever take that for granted again.

And sorry pepsi, I don't think Missouri is an option though we should definitely get togeather for a curry before we move
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:25 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Remind me, why can't you stay where you are? I remember you being happy to finally get back here.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Englishtart;7809779]

QUOTE]

I understand the attraction of Hawaii all to well. It sounds like you like the opportunity and want the experience. I would say do it. Just really research the schooling. You mention private schools - most people are unable to get their children into the two main private schools ( one of which the illustrious Omaha attended - Punahoe). Either because of a combination of $$ or just not the right connections - and believe me Hawaii is a small place all about connections, and who you know, especially in the arena of schooling.

Not paranoia here - just those two schools are heavily oversubscribed by local professionals and alumni already - think Doctors & Lawyers. As an indication of the depth of connections - I remember working in Hawaii and seeing a lawsuit which had been 'passed off' by many well known law firms because it was politically inflammatory at the time - no one wanted to touch the case for fear their children would not get accepted in the schools...the only firm which would take the case were childless.

If your thinking private you might consider the Catholic schools in HI which is why I said Kailua as a place to consider living in my previous post. Also, Kailua is the equivalent (well as close as can be it is HI) of a nice leafy suburb in mainland USA.

Know this is lengthy - I still say go just want you to know what you may potentially face.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Remind me, why can't you stay where you are? I remember you being happy to finally get back here.

I know! crazy huh Lots of little reasons, but mainly because Jay's job is rumored to be getting phased out and put under the umbrella of the command section, they wouldn't need to keep him. He prefers to make a move himself, to somewhere he has some choice in, rather than wait and not have that option.

I will also say, things are not going as well here as we had hoped or expected for our Son and I, I guess things/people changed while we were gone, just shows, you can't go back...
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=slidingbyee;7812001]

QUOTE]

I understand the attraction of Hawaii all to well. It sounds like you like the opportunity and want the experience. I would say do it. Just really research the schooling. You mention private schools - most people are unable to get their children into the two main private schools ( one of which the illustrious Omaha attended - Punahoe). Either because of a combination of $$ or just not the right connections - and believe me Hawaii is a small place all about connections, and who you know, especially in the arena of schooling.

Not paranoia here - just those two schools are heavily oversubscribed by local professionals and alumni already - think Doctors & Lawyers. As an indication of the depth of connections - I remember working in Hawaii and seeing a lawsuit which had been 'passed off' by many well known law firms because it was politically inflammatory at the time - no one wanted to touch the case for fear their children would not get accepted in the schools...the only firm which would take the case were childless.

If your thinking private you might consider the Catholic schools in HI which is why I said Kailua as a place to consider living in my previous post. Also, Kailua is the equivalent (well as close as can be it is HI) of a nice leafy suburb in mainland USA.

Know this is lengthy - I still say go just want you to know what you may potentially face.

Well, I guess that squashes the private school thing! We would actually be on Honolulu, not the big Island, so not sure if those places are there.

Jay would be working at Hickham, we have an older Son in the Navy there, he has been giving us a few insights about life there. The big worry is the expense and the schools. Not much point getting too hyper about any of it yet though, he may not even get an interview

I do appreciate your advice though, it's always good to hear of someone's first hand experience
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, here I am again...I promise this will be the last time on this thread that I ask for help on yet another area!

Jay put in for Kirkland afb this morning, it is in Alberqueque NM, anyone have anything on this area? From what I can find online, it seems to be a pretty good climate (not too much humidity) similar cola to here, good schools etc.

We decided to forget the one in HI, we really need to give our Son top priority as far as good schools, and I couldn't find anything good about the schools there

So far, this one in NM sounds just about right for us, (still looking out for the WA one opening up though) So, with a bit of luck Jay will get an interview, we should know something by Friday next week
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here I am again...I promise this will be the last time on this thread that I ask for help on yet another area!

Jay put in for Kirkland afb this morning, it is in Alberqueque NM, anyone have anything on this area? From what I can find online, it seems to be a pretty good climate (not too much humidity) similar cola to here, good schools etc.

We decided to forget the one in HI, we really need to give our Son top priority as far as good schools, and I couldn't find anything good about the schools there

So far, this one in NM sounds just about right for us, (still looking out for the WA one opening up though) So, with a bit of luck Jay will get an interview, we should know something by Friday next week
Thread is interesting - we are getting a tour of the US!

I've only been to Albuquerque NM a couple of times, but - I'd definitely give it a try if others comment positively about the schools/etc. NM and AZ are two states I've discovered 'recently', and they both have a certain 'style' / 'attitude' that I find attractive compared to others in the US. Still too early for me to have a stronger opinion, but I'd consider giving it a shot. I've always been attracted to the 'West', due to the attitude of the people (and the weather); the 'South-West' seems to be a variation on that, one that is quite refreshing.

I've been working in Phoenix, AZ for the past 5 months or so and am finding it most intriguing. I think the weather in NM is very attractive. Santa Fe is a great city to visit, too!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

The only person I can think of living in NM on here is AdobePinon, but I think he's in Santa Fe?? Not sure. Maybe PM him and see if he can give you any better info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.