Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here we go again!

Here we go again!

Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Ok guys, there is now another base offer in the mix!! It is Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota! Now to be honest, I have never even thought about that area, I have done a little research, it looks very pretty, black hills, Mt Rushmore etc.

Does anyone on here know anything about this area? I'm mainly interested in high schools, climate, just general community stuff?

Help!!!
South Dakota? People actually live there?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Apparently they do I'm really not too bothered about going to SD, there are definitely other States I would prefer, but I would like to know 'what' is on offer there, before we put it on 'ignore'
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:34 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

I know you don't care for the humidity of FL but would you like the below freezing temps they have? I know it is a very pretty state and things to see but I myself don't think I could handle those temps for to long. :
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by creamern
I know you don't care for the humidity of FL but would you like the below freezing temps they have? I know it is a very pretty state and things to see but I myself don't think I could handle those temps for to long. :
Yeah, that's one thing I'm not sure about, I do prefer cooler temps to hot ones, but I got to the point of not wanting to see another snowflake in Colorado!! And I know that SD has a lot more snow and colder temps than CO
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:31 am
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

I re-read my comment and realized it sounded as though I would prefer SD over FL and well that is not what I meant sorry. I could not handle all the freezing temps and snow up there is what I was going to say. Born and raised in FL I hate the humidity but it is still home so I would choose it over SD.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by creamern
I re-read my comment and realized it sounded as though I would prefer SD over FL and well that is not what I meant sorry. I could not handle all the freezing temps and snow up there is what I was going to say. Born and raised in FL I hate the humidity but it is still home so I would choose it over SD.
No, I read your post the way you meant it, I am with you on the freezing temps and snow, I would much prefer 4 distinct seasons and no (or low) humidity, but I am willing to compromise if it will get me and hubby in the same State He is much more keen on the SD base than I am, and surprisingly our Son is not opposed to going there either. Jay said he is willing to wait until a day or so before the application deadline to see if the one in WA (or another more appealing one) opens up, before he sends his app' in. There are requirements in the SD one that may exclude him from the running anyway, so it's possible he may not even reach the interview stage with it.

I'm sure I will be popping back in here if some other option comes up, it's good to know that we have members scattered throughout the US that can give some insight into areas we are not familiar with.

Thank you everyone for your help/advice so far
Old Jul 18th 2009, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Coming from the man who lives in the middle of nowhere!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quick update on the 'daily changes' here Jay decided to throw his hat in the ring for the SD opening! The window for applications closes tomorrow, so he wanted to try for it, we are still hoping that the one in WA comes up soon, if it does, he will try for that one too.

Usually, the way it works is, they wait about two weeks after the closing date before they decide who they will interview (usually over the phone) Then it's usually a week or so after they finish those before you hear one way or the other.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:05 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't think I would be posting this question for a few years yet, but things are never 'predictable' where the military is concerned!

Ok, hubby is going to be on the move again here pretty soon, we have a few options as far as locations and I was hoping to get some expert advice from you guys

Our priorities are things like schools (16 yr old son) so High schools, also continued education (Son is a lil' smart ass,lol)
Climate, sick of hot/humid summers, but could cope with dry heat (maybe)
Don't really want big city living, prefer smaller towns
Access to Airports.
Local attitude to military (may be a tough one to answer)

Anyway, I am just starting out on this information gathering journey, so I will be doing some searching of the older threads for tit bits, but thought I would kick it off with input from ya'll

Here are a few of the choices......
Pensacola, FL (I know, I know)
Eglin, FL (again, I know!)
McChord, WA
Shepherd, TX
Hickham, HI

We have lived in SA, TX and I wasn't thrilled with it, but Shepherd may be in a nicer area?

Over to you guys, thanx for any advice, suggestions you can contribute
I spent 12 weeks at Shepherd and thought it was a shithole. Hickam was always supposed to be the favorite base according to many.
Both FL bases=hot humid, but have beaches nearby; myself, I would love to try the great northwest.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ironporer
I spent 12 weeks at Shepherd and thought it was a shithole. Hickam was always supposed to be the favorite base according to many.
Both FL bases=hot humid, but have beaches nearby; myself, I would love to try the great northwest.
Thanx for the response IP Yeah, seems everyone wants to go to Hickham, but I have heard a few ugly things about how the military is treated there! Not sure if you read my last post, but Yes, the WA one would be our preferred choice if/when it opens...Jay put in for Ellsworth in SD yesterday, so we will see how that goes
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update on the 'daily changes' here Jay decided to throw his hat in the ring for the SD opening! The window for applications closes tomorrow, so he wanted to try for it, we are still hoping that the one in WA comes up soon, if it does, he will try for that one too.

Usually, the way it works is, they wait about two weeks after the closing date before they decide who they will interview (usually over the phone) Then it's usually a week or so after they finish those before you hear one way or the other.
Good luck! But hope the WA opens up soon as well!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Good luck! But hope the WA opens up soon as well!
Thanx Lisa
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:19 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for the response IP Yeah, seems everyone wants to go to Hickham, but I have heard a few ugly things about how the military is treated there! Not sure if you read my last post, but Yes, the WA one would be our preferred choice if/when it opens...Jay put in for Ellsworth in SD yesterday, so we will see how that goes
You also mentioned Hill AFB Utah...seemed like most loved it there, or at least those who liked the outdoors- hunting/fishing/camping etc. Never heard much good about Ellsworth or Minot, except plenty of snowmobiling trails. ; )
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Fl - no just because its Fl - well Pcola's not to bad but its still FL and to close to AL. TX - noooooo.

HI - Hickam is nice - biggest problem with Hi is schooling as Penguin6 said. It really is potluck and the public schools are not good. Private schools are really the only way to go and that has not changed ask Obama who attended Punahoe as all good HI lawyer and doctors children do - he must have been one of the lucky ones.

HI's DOD schools are different from others in that system throughout the US - if you research on military sites you will see why. I love HI but would never go there with children. And ironically all the friends I know who live there have children who now live on the mainland US.

From your choices I think you have settled on the best one WA - beautiful place and military friendly.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ironporer
You also mentioned Hill AFB Utah...seemed like most loved it there, or at least those who liked the outdoors- hunting/fishing/camping etc. Never heard much good about Ellsworth or Minot, except plenty of snowmobiling trails. ; )
Hey IP, thanx again...Hill was an option, but from my research and talking to other folks that had been there, we decided against that one. I realise that SD is going to be bloody cold in the Winter, I got an 'old' vhs tape of Ellsworth from the base yesterday, the area looks beautiful (filmed in Summer obviously,lol) Anyway, hubby thinks if we haven't heard by August 4th, we won't have to worry about it anyway...still looking into other options too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.