Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here we go again!

Here we go again!

Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

one of the dads from the mothers group was stationed in Eglin, he said it was really nice as a base for the family, good spot, stuff to do...it was just Florida and humid...which made me laugh as he's from Baton Rouge...

Any other bases on offer? There's a few nice ones in Mass, the bloke really likes it here, the most northerly he's been, great network of support. He's planning on moving to DC in a couple years though for the career move and be part of that inner sanctum
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
one of the dads from the mothers group was stationed in Eglin, he said it was really nice as a base for the family, good spot, stuff to do...it was just Florida and humid...which made me laugh as he's from Baton Rouge...

Any other bases on offer? There's a few nice ones in Mass, the bloke really likes it here, the most northerly he's been, great network of support. He's planning on moving to DC in a couple years though for the career move and be part of that inner sanctum

There were a couple of other bases opening up soon...Hill, Utah..... Shaw, S.Carolina...... Barksdale, LA..... Germany. one in Georgia and one in Virginia.
None in Mass though.

I have heard a few good things about Eglin, but I really would like to get somewhere with a more temperate climate, I hear that WA can be pretty similar to the UK? lots of lovely rain
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad you can't get Andrews AFB just outside of Washington or one of the other postings in DC. There are several extremely good school systems in the suburbs and there is a ton of stuff to do in Washington. I'm gathering the VA base coming up is probably somewhere like Langley though...
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
a more temperate climate, I hear that WA can be pretty similar to the UK? lots of lovely rain
My mother told me when we moved here "the rain is good for your skin".

DH says the climate is much nicer than even the south of England. Similar, but much nicer here. Def. more temperate. Have you seen my garden pix? Very Mediterranean and we are zone 8.5 if that gives you an idea.
We'd love to have you in the neighborhood and I think the culture is right up your alley.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Too bad you can't get Andrews AFB just outside of Washington or one of the other postings in DC. There are several extremely good school systems in the suburbs and there is a ton of stuff to do in Washington. I'm gathering the VA base coming up is probably somewhere like Langley though...

I think DC is a little out of our price range, even with the housing benefits etc, although I would love to visit the area

Yep, the VA one is Langley, so not a big fan of that one.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
My mother told me when we moved here "the rain is good for your skin".

DH says the climate is much nicer than even the south of England. Similar, but much nicer here. Def. more temperate. Have you seen my garden pix? Very Mediterranean and we are zone 8.5 if that gives you an idea.
We'd love to have you in the neighborhood and I think the culture is right up your alley.

That's very sweet I haven't seen your garden pics, but I will go search the gallery for them
Hubby said the job in WA hasn't actually been posted yet, he just got a 'heads up' from the lady that is moving on, the only thing that could stop him applying for it is our deadline, we really want to move during the Summer school holidays, or at least have a definite 'yes' to the job, I don't want to have to move Matthew to a new school (again) during school term time. He is starting his junior year and needs to be able to settle down for his last two HS years.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Take a look at the local newspaper to get a feel of the place. http://www.pnj.com/
Looks like the guys will have fun, the front page link to gopensacola.com is just a bunch of bikini contest pictures...
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Looks like the guys will have fun, the front page link to gopensacola.com is just a bunch of bikini contest pictures...
Well at least there was a 'mention' for the hunks in trunks!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:36 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

McChord would be my choice, it's on my husbands dream sheet, his home state too, and I love it over there. Husband is currently stationed at Andrews, and we moved over to VA to live a bit further away from that area, yes lots to do but very expensive and schooling is very hit and miss. Hickham would be fun but also very expensive from what we hear from other military families we know. Ahhh the life of a military spouse!!! Good luck
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robskatie
McChord would be my choice, it's on my husbands dream sheet, his home state too, and I love it over there. Husband is currently stationed at Andrews, and we moved over to VA to live a bit further away from that area, yes lots to do but very expensive and schooling is very hit and miss. Hickham would be fun but also very expensive from what we hear from other military families we know. Ahhh the life of a military spouse!!! Good luck

Thanx Katie I actually thought I was done with all the moving crap once Jay retired in 07', bot noooooo!! I should have known he wouldn't want to 'stretch' too far away from his security blanket It's not been that bad a life really, we have met some great people along the way and had opportunities we wouldn't have been able too without the AF. If it was just me and him, I wouldn't be too bothered, but it is tough on the kids!

Jay called the historian in WA yesterday, to try and get an idea of when the slot would open up, it seems there isn't one there now, so it's already an empty office! We just have to wait for it to be posted and then he can jump on it! There is no guarantee that 'he' will get it though, I know McChord is a very popular base, we will just have to keep our
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

There were a couple of other bases opening up soon...Hill, Utah..... Shaw, S.Carolina...... Barksdale, LA..... Germany. one in Georgia and one in Virginia.
None in Mass though.

I have heard a few good things about Eglin, but I really would like to get somewhere with a more temperate climate, I hear that WA can be pretty similar to the UK? lots of lovely rain
Hello,

We were at Hill for nine months before moving here...it's a lovely area, nice cost of living, you get all the seasons, (there was a bit too much snow for my personal liking though) but it is hard to get connected...with the high LDS population...not many of them are into popping around for a cuppa, if you get my drift.
Also, the schools around the base have a high pop. of LDS children and I was told by other non LDS that thir kids had a hard time being accepted there. Luckily I didn't have that worry, although I did work in a school and was asked myself about my religion. I think if you took the opportunity, your son might not enjoy his final two years of HS. Just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

I also know what you mean about the moving... we move more now, than we did when we were AD.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:12 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Katie I actually thought I was done with all the moving crap once Jay retired in 07', bot noooooo!! I should have known he wouldn't want to 'stretch' too far away from his security blanket It's not been that bad a life really, we have met some great people along the way and had opportunities we wouldn't have been able too without the AF. If it was just me and him, I wouldn't be too bothered, but it is tough on the kids!

Jay called the historian in WA yesterday, to try and get an idea of when the slot would open up, it seems there isn't one there now, so it's already an empty office! We just have to wait for it to be posted and then he can jump on it! There is no guarantee that 'he' will get it though, I know McChord is a very popular base, we will just have to keep our

Hope you can manage to get to WA, it's such a great area, reminds me of the UK alot
It is tough on the kids, my eldest is just about to start her junior year and does NOT want to move any more. She has however had privilege of traveling to other countries and within the US, something she may not have had otherwise, I hope she will look back on it with fondness when she grows up
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
Hello,

We were at Hill for nine months before moving here...it's a lovely area, nice cost of living, you get all the seasons, (there was a bit too much snow for my personal liking though) but it is hard to get connected...with the high LDS population...not many of them are into popping around for a cuppa, if you get my drift.
Also, the schools around the base have a high pop. of LDS children and I was told by other non LDS that thir kids had a hard time being accepted there. Luckily I didn't have that worry, although I did work in a school and was asked myself about my religion. I think if you took the opportunity, your son might not enjoy his final two years of HS. Just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

I also know what you mean about the moving... we move more now, than we did when we were AD.

Thanx BB, I really doubt we would put in for Hill, I do love Utah as a State, but I don't think we would want to do the 'military' base there.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robskatie
Hope you can manage to get to WA, it's such a great area, reminds me of the UK alot
It is tough on the kids, my eldest is just about to start her junior year and does NOT want to move any more. She has however had privilege of traveling to other countries and within the US, something she may not have had otherwise, I hope she will look back on it with fondness when she grows up

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I have always wanted to live in that 'corner' of the US

Our Son isn't thrilled at moving again and really at this stage, he has to be our first priority, that's why I am hoping for a quick turnaround on the McChord slot I think once there, he would settle in ok.

Our oldest Son tells us that although he didn't much enjoy all the school changing, he doesn't think it did him any harm, he can't have hated it too much, as soon as he left high school, he signed up with the Navy!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Still no word on when the base in WA (McChord) will be open for applications as yet, the one at Eglin in FL has opened up though....anyone out there know anything about this base/area?

It wouldn't be my first choice, simply because it's in Florida, but beggars can't be choosers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.