Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here we go again!

Here we go again!

Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Hi English Tart,
It's a nice base, I was just out there a few weeks back. If you like the beach, it's a great place to live. There's a large Brit population within the military population as well, so that's nice, if that's something that you're looking for.
BB
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:50 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

Well I was born and raised in Pensacola and still have all family there including a house. Humidity for there and Eglin is awful as you I am sure know. TX is not far off that humidity as well. My hubby is at Creech AFB here in NV just north of Las Vegas and we love it. Yes it does get up to 115F to 120F at times in July and August but I rather like the dry heat over the humidity any day. If we had a choice from you list I agree with the others and HI would be where I would want to go. Very pricey but to be in a tropical setting without the humidity would be ideal. Just learn where all the locals shop and it should be fine.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Still no word on when the base in WA (McChord) will be open for applications as yet, the one at Eglin in FL has opened up though....anyone out there know anything about this base/area?

It wouldn't be my first choice, simply because it's in Florida, but beggars can't be choosers!
Its up there on the Panhandle. Beautiful beaches all around - Google "Destin" and "Fort Walton Beach" - part of the area known as the "Redneck Riviera" Which they are trying to get away from, by calling it the "Emerald Coast".

Eglin AFB (and its extensions like Hulbert Field, for instance) is spread out over a massive area, and is the economic centerpiece of the entire area. It is also one of the top places for military retirees to live - huge population of them there.

Outside of the beaches/base, it certainly can be a bit rednecky, and you are a long way from a major metro area, if such things are important. I guess another downside is that (judging by recent years) is that it is right in the firing path of hurricanes.

I could certainly live there, especially as a military retiree with work on the base. Obviously doesn't meet your requirements weatherwise, but you could do far far worse.

Last edited by Dan725; Jul 14th 2009 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:01 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

Eglin is pretty close to Panama City where all the kids hang out for Spring break so some things to do there. Love my white sandy beaches on the NW coast of FL! Eglin is about 45 mins from Pensacola to the west and about an hour to Panama City to the east. It is about a 7-8 hr drive to Orlando. There are a lot of things to do in FL and the schools in I think it was Niceville or Shalimar were pretty good. They are surrounding Eglin. There is a wonderful winery in Defuniak Springs and they have an outlet in Ft. Walton where we would go. Sandestin is a very trendy place for the rich snow birds from the north as we call them. My husband was stationed at Hurlburt Field in Ft. Walton for 2 yrs but we lived in Pace which is close to Pensacola. If this helps any. I love FL just not the humidity. Just like everything though once you live there and get acclimated you are fine.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx guys, really appreciate the responses

I think my only concern with going to Eglin, would be the climate, I really do hate the humidity, after living in TX, and Il, I still can't get used too it
The hurricane thing is a little off putting too!

I have done a bit of research on that area, Destin sounds fantastic and the beaches look really nice too, I'm not really much of a beach fan though, but I do love to be close to 'water'

We are not real sure what to do about all this, really WA would be ideal for us, but we don't want to wait too long and miss out on something that 'could' be a good second choice These jobs are generally only open for about 10 days!

Thanx for your help everyone, I guess in the end, wherever/whatever we do is going to be a gamble
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get Washington, go for Hawaii. You don't want to stare out your window at the Gulf all day and there just isn't that much to do in that part of FL (IMO, and I never did live there). If you're going to go tropical, may as well go for the real deal.. it's almost like living in yet another foreign country.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
If you can't get Washington, go for Hawaii. You don't want to stare out your window at the Gulf all day and there just isn't that much to do in that part of FL (IMO, and I never did live there). If you're going to go tropical, may as well go for the real deal.. it's almost like living in yet another foreign country.
Yeah, Hawaii is another consideration, I think it would be cool to live there for a few years, hubby isn't convinced though and our Son says 'no way' My oldest is stationed there with the Navy and as much as I would love being closer to him (he is there till 2011) I can't stand his wife! So I don't think that would make for an easy life there!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Hawaii is another consideration, I think it would be cool to live there for a few years, hubby isn't convinced though and our Son says 'no way' My oldest is stationed there with the Navy and as much as I would love being closer to him (he is there till 2011) I can't stand his wife! So I don't think that would make for an easy life there!
lol, a wealth of choices m'dear. Aren't you a lucky girl?!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lol, a wealth of choices m'dear. Aren't you a lucky girl?!
You would think so huh? I just talked to Jay on the phone, he is starting to get a little frustrated with me his favorite phrase right now is "ya killin me!"

I am just not sure what we should do, I don't want to miss a chance at something that might be a great move, but then again, I do have my heart set on WA!! Arrrrgggghhhh!

Anyone have a crystal ball?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:52 pm

I keep this one handy.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:12 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

Wow I want one of those! You never know when you will need it but it seems "all the time" is the answer for me.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I keep this one handy.
Rub it for me
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Still no word on when the base in WA (McChord) will be open for applications as yet, the one at Eglin in FL has opened up though....anyone out there know anything about this base/area?

It wouldn't be my first choice, simply because it's in Florida, but beggars can't be choosers!
Well hey, it's Florida but it's certainly not Orlando. I'd be quite happy to live on the Gulf Coast for a few years. The outlet malls in Destin are great too!!
http://www.silversandsoutlet.com/
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Well hey, it's Florida but it's certainly not Orlando. I'd be quite happy to live on the Gulf Coast for a few years. The outlet malls in Destin are great too!!
http://www.silversandsoutlet.com/

Looks great, I love outlet malls!

Talked to Jay again last night (poor guy!) We decided that we just need to stop freaking out (or I do) and just put an 'end date' on this. (thanx Tina) Anyway, we decided that if a base we really want, doesn't open up in time for us to be there by October, we will just stay put here in IL and he will keep looking and move by himself, until our youngest is done with high school! Not a perfect solution for me, I hate the thought of us being apart that long, so I'm keeping my that something (WA,lol) opens up real soon!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok guys, there is now another base offer in the mix!! It is Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota! Now to be honest, I have never even thought about that area, I have done a little research, it looks very pretty, black hills, Mt Rushmore etc.

Does anyone on here know anything about this area? I'm mainly interested in high schools, climate, just general community stuff?

Help!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.