Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here three months, move into our house this week...

Here three months, move into our house this week...

Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of
Default Here three months, move into our house this week...

So its been a very difficult three months so far for me to settle in but things are moving one step at a time I got my driving license last week so now will look to get a car and insurance.

Will it be cheaper and easier to get insurance with a florida licence?

We have also got our own house now and move in this weekend, its been a real rigmarole to get the mortgage etc but all done and worth the effort, I am sure I will feel better in our own place and when all our stuff is delivered from england, this thursday.

I have a question...

We are having the carpets lifted and having a wooden floor installed this week, its cost a few thousand and the fitters will be there for two days.

Do I tip them when they have finished? Will they be expecting a tip?

I have bought the floor through a retail outlet and they have subcontracted the fitting. Would not think about tipping back home but would like some advice please.

Many thanks
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here three months, move into our house this week...

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
So its been a very difficult three months so far for me to settle in but things are moving one step at a time I got my driving license last week so now will look to get a car and insurance.

Will it be cheaper and easier to get insurance with a florida licence?

We have also got our own house now and move in this weekend, its been a real rigmarole to get the mortgage etc but all done and worth the effort, I am sure I will feel better in our own place and when all our stuff is delivered from england, this thursday.

I have a question...

We are having the carpets lifted and having a wooden floor installed this week, its cost a few thousand and the fitters will be there for two days.

Do I tip them when they have finished? Will they be expecting a tip?

I have bought the floor through a retail outlet and they have subcontracted the fitting. Would not think about tipping back home but would like some advice please.

Many thanks
I probably would tip - only because husband tipped the man the installed Verizon and the 2 guys that repaired the TV when it blew up after a month!

I don't know how much to suggest as you've said it's costing a few thousand. Other can probably guide you better in this respect.

Nice to read that you're feeling more settled.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ours seemed happy with $100 between 3 of them. They had absolutely driven me round the bend while doing the job, but I think they meant well.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
...... Do I tip them when they have finished? Will they be expecting a tip?

I have bought the floor through a retail outlet and they have subcontracted the fitting. Would not think about tipping back home but would like some advice please. .....
I've had a couple of jobs done by "store subcontractors" and it hadn't occurred to me to tip them, so unless they hang around at the end of the job looking anxious, I wouldn't worry. The last time I had a Lowes subcontractor do an installation for me they were in, done, and gone in less than an hour, ...... bam, bam, bam, in and out in 59 minutes for a full granite counter installation. I had done the demo (counter removal) ahead of time, and plumbed in the drain and taps myself the next day, after the epoxy holding the sink had cured.

I have used contractors that do subcontract work for Lowes as contractors in their own right, and I certainly wouldn't have tipped them.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 24th 2014 at 10:53 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Tip them if you want to. Don't if you don't.
However I would normally hold back on full payment for the job until you've gad a few days to live with it.