British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Here three months, move into our house this week... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/here-three-months-move-into-our-house-week-829534/)

dfrbrowne Mar 24th 2014 9:21 pm

Here three months, move into our house this week...

So its been a very difficult three months so far for me to settle in but things are moving one step at a time I got my driving license last week so now will look to get a car and insurance.

Will it be cheaper and easier to get insurance with a florida licence?

We have also got our own house now and move in this weekend, its been a real rigmarole to get the mortgage etc but all done and worth the effort, I am sure I will feel better in our own place and when all our stuff is delivered from england, this thursday.

I have a question...

We are having the carpets lifted and having a wooden floor installed this week, its cost a few thousand and the fitters will be there for two days.

Do I tip them when they have finished? Will they be expecting a tip?

I have bought the floor through a retail outlet and they have subcontracted the fitting. Would not think about tipping back home but would like some advice please.

Many thanks

HartleyHare Mar 24th 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Here three months, move into our house this week...

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne (Post 11188870)
So its been a very difficult three months so far for me to settle in but things are moving one step at a time I got my driving license last week so now will look to get a car and insurance.

Will it be cheaper and easier to get insurance with a florida licence?

We have also got our own house now and move in this weekend, its been a real rigmarole to get the mortgage etc but all done and worth the effort, I am sure I will feel better in our own place and when all our stuff is delivered from england, this thursday.

I have a question...

We are having the carpets lifted and having a wooden floor installed this week, its cost a few thousand and the fitters will be there for two days.

Do I tip them when they have finished? Will they be expecting a tip?

I have bought the floor through a retail outlet and they have subcontracted the fitting. Would not think about tipping back home but would like some advice please.

Many thanks

I probably would tip - only because husband tipped the man the installed Verizon and the 2 guys that repaired the TV when it blew up after a month!

I don't know how much to suggest as you've said it's costing a few thousand. Other can probably guide you better in this respect.

Nice to read that you're feeling more settled. :)

Sally Redux Mar 24th 2014 9:52 pm

Ours seemed happy with $100 between 3 of them. They had absolutely driven me round the bend while doing the job, but I think they meant well.

Pulaski Mar 24th 2014 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne (Post 11188870)
...... Do I tip them when they have finished? Will they be expecting a tip?

I have bought the floor through a retail outlet and they have subcontracted the fitting. Would not think about tipping back home but would like some advice please. .....

I've had a couple of jobs done by "store subcontractors" and it hadn't occurred to me to tip them, so unless they hang around at the end of the job looking anxious, I wouldn't worry. The last time I had a Lowes subcontractor do an installation for me they were in, done, and gone in less than an hour, ...... bam, bam, bam, in and out in 59 minutes for a full granite counter installation. I had done the demo (counter removal) ahead of time, and plumbed in the drain and taps myself the next day, after the epoxy holding the sink had cured.

I have used contractors that do subcontract work for Lowes as contractors in their own right, and I certainly wouldn't have tipped them.

Hotscot Mar 24th 2014 10:25 pm

Tip them if you want to. Don't if you don't.
However I would normally hold back on full payment for the job until you've gad a few days to live with it.