Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here are my goals - which US state?

Here are my goals - which US state?

Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Here are my goals - which US state?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'd happily live there, certainly. There is a divide between the Carolina's over the school systems, with people on both sides of the state line swearing that their side is better. Lots of people from the Charlotte area have "fled" down to Rockhill and Fortmill, SC, often citing Charlotte schools as a reason to leave (like many big cities Charlotte schools have all sorts of "urban problems", but even so have been appalling badly managed, with the actions of the recently fired school district manager taking decisions that led to 30% teacher turnover in a single year! ) ..... But I digress.

Anyhow, yeah, Greenville SC is a nice area, very similar to my neck of the woods.
Good stuff! I've done a fair bit of research and reading now, barely seen a bad word said, sounds like just what i am looking for! I've even popped off a couple of applications so let's see how that goes.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kancell
Good stuff! I've done a fair bit of research and reading now, barely seen a bad word said, sounds like just what i am looking for! .....
Don't tell everyone!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
- Yup
Not something I actually see as good.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not something I actually see as good.
You have a problem with there being safe areas to live in?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:17 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

The OP might want to include the risk of hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and wildfires in his criteria.
And Earthquakes.

We have low-no risk of any of the above.
What?? Carolina has "low-no" tornadoes?

This NCSU page on tornadoes begs to differ:

Tornados in North Carolina | North Carolina Cooperative Extension
Although North Carolina has fewer tornadoes than the Midwest, we still face an average of 31 tornadoes a year.
There have been more than a few hurricanes too...
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue
What?? Carolina has "low-no" tornadoes?

This NCSU page on tornadoes begs to differ:

Tornados in North Carolina | North Carolina Cooperative Extension

There have been more than a few hurricanes too...
Er, I didn't make a blanket recommendation of the Carolinas!

There haven't been hurricane force winds reach the Piedmont since hurricane Hugo in 1989, and it was so remarkable exactly because there was no history of hurricane force winds coming that far inland.

So far as tornadoes go, (i) they are mostly in the coastal plains to the south and east of the Piermont, and (ii) the tornadoes in the Piedmont, and most of those in the coastal plains are barely more than pipsqueak-jokes. Sure they are best avoided, but the most they usually do is remove some guttering or a few roof shingles, like the mini tornadoes that occur about 100/yr IIRC in the UK. They are almost nothing compared to tornadoes in Texas, Oklahoma, and the Mississippi valley, or even as far east as Tennessee. The one that partially demolished a Lowes in the Raleigh area (on the coast plain, I would add) a few years ago, like hurricane Hugo, was so newsworthy because that much damage from a tornado was unprecedented here.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 5th 2015 at 10:43 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I've lived here 7 years. A few years ago a house on our street was burgled. It was such an unusual occurence that the police went door to door telling us that we really ought to start locking our doors. I do remember sometimes now...
The in-laws live in a place like that...no one locked their doors.

Unfortunately, the thieves also knew this and came to town and robed whole bunches of homes during the day and no one thought anything of seeing an out of state car driving through the streets a few times because it was geared up for skiing and looked like any old tourist.
Old May 29th 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

You are something
The OP might want to include the risk of hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and wildfires in his criteria.
Old May 29th 2015, 5:29 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Er, I didn't make a blanket recommendation of the Carolinas!

There haven't been hurricane force winds reach the Piedmont since hurricane Hugo in 1989, and it was so remarkable exactly because there was no history of hurricane force winds coming that far inland.

So far as tornadoes go, (i) they are mostly in the coastal plains to the south and east of the Piermont, and (ii) the tornadoes in the Piedmont, and most of those in the coastal plains are barely more than pipsqueak-jokes. Sure they are best avoided, but the most they usually do is remove some guttering or a few roof shingles, like the mini tornadoes that occur about 100/yr IIRC in the UK. They are almost nothing compared to tornadoes in Texas, Oklahoma, and the Mississippi valley, or even as far east as Tennessee. The one that partially demolished a Lowes in the Raleigh area (on the coast plain, I would add) a few years ago, like hurricane Hugo, was so newsworthy because that much damage from a tornado was unprecedented here.
So, you divide North Carolina into differing risk areas, but you are quite happy making a blanket statement covering the whole of a state 5 times the size of North Carolina.....a little consistency would be nice to see......
Old May 29th 2015, 5:48 pm

Default Re: Here are my goals - which US state

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
So, you divide North Carolina into differing risk areas, but you are quite happy making a blanket statement covering the whole of a state 5 times the size of North Carolina.....a little consistency would be nice to see......
You're a bit snarky today. ..... Has being overruled by Mrs Yorkie got to you?
Old May 29th 2015, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

*FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT*
Old May 29th 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by kancell
*FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT*
I wouldn't be rough on an old man.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 29th 2015 at 6:30 pm.
Old May 29th 2015, 6:07 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here are my goals - which US state

You're a bit snarky today. ..... Has being overruled by Mrs Yorkie got to you?
Time of the month.

But a fair point, no?
Old May 29th 2015, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

... not to mention Congress, the IRS, state legislatures, the DMV, the NRA, and the healthcare industry ...
Old May 29th 2015, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

and FIFA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.