Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here Kitty...

Here Kitty...

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here Kitty...

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Call your local animal control department. They will either help you themselves or refer you to a local wildlife relocation expert to trap and release it into a suitable place.

Sorry -- just saw Pulaski's post about relocation not being legal in CA. Not even for experts? But I would still contact animal control.
No, not legal for anyone (information thanks to Mike Roe's "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel, which shot a "skunk episode", coincidently in Los Angles county, if I remember correctly) to relocate a trapped animal off the piece of land (lot, parcel, unit, whatever) that it was caught on. Of course, in practice people do, but city/ county pest control and other pest services are not likely to flought the law. BTW Mike Row pulled a skunk out from a house crawl space and let it go in the back yard. The pest officer admitted on camera that given half chance the skunk would go straight back under the house!

Personally, I think calling pest control about a baby skunk is going to give them a good laugh .... "Hey, guys, we have some British guy on the phone, wants us to come and remove a skunk!"
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Personally, I think calling pest control about a baby skunk is going to give them a good laugh .... "Hey, guys, we have some British guy on the phone, wants us to come and remove a skunk!"
Actually, I've done just that (town animal control, not an exterminator) when there was a rabied skunk on my property, and they came right out. But I'm not in CA.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, I've done just that (town animal control, not an exterminator) when there was a rabied skunk on my property, and they came right out. But I'm not in CA.
I think it being rabid would be a game changer in any state.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think it being rabid would be a game changer in any state.
Very true!

Perhaps a call to the local person on this list might be of assistance to the OP (I understand they don't come out to pick up animals, but they usually have some good advice as to how to proceed):

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/WIL/r...acilities.html
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is a different state but when we lived in Colorado and had a raccoon problem, the Dept of Wildlife had a booklet describing the different wildlife and non-lethal deterrents. Don't know if California or the county you are in has something similar.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:39 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I think you have just described about half the membership of BE.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Im in Orange County California. And I'm pretty sure relocation is legal here - our condo complex had a problem with racoons & skunks a few years ago and I believe the association arranged trapping and relocation.

So may be this is a county by county law?

Edit: Heres the dept of animal care & control - apparently you need permission:

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/skunks.asp

Last edited by limeynus; Jul 2nd 2013 at 6:52 pm.