British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Here Kitty... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/here-kitty-801675/)

Hotscot Jul 2nd 2013 12:13 am

Here Kitty...

I'm in Los Angeles County, the High Desert.
Detached house on two acres with a wall round the property.

This little guy has decided to hang around.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps16aa2cc8.jpg

Yes, a skunk kitten...he's so cute, eating insects and sleeping under the bushes. I'm inclined to let him be...just hope my cats don't mind.
Anyone had any experience with skunks? I'm generally a live and let live sorta guy....and he's so damned cute.

tonrob Jul 2nd 2013 12:31 am

Re: Here Kitty...

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 10780704)

Yes, a skunk kitten...he's so cute, eating insects and sleeping under the bushes. I'm inclined to let him be...just hope my cats don't mind.
Anyone had any experience with skunks? I'm generally a live and let live sorta guy....and he's so damned cute.

We have one living under our front porch. Not good. Especially after we arrived after midnight from Germany and at one point unloading the car I noticed it sat just 10 feet from out toddler, who was oblivious to her new friend as she was sat on the deck strapped into her car seat.

Fox Pee from Dick's Sporting Goods (no shit) is apparently the answer. Used it last year to good effect, although we seem to have another of its cousins moving in again this year. Back to Dick's it is...

P.S. Wear gloves.

Hotscot Jul 2nd 2013 2:19 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10780712)
We have one living under our front porch. Not good. Especially after we arrived after midnight from Germany and at one point unloading the car I noticed it sat just 10 feet from out toddler, who was oblivious to her new friend as she was sat on the deck strapped into her car seat.

Fox Pee from Dick's Sporting Goods (no shit) is apparently the answer. Used it last year to good effect, although we seem to have another of its cousins moving in again this year. Back to Dick's it is...

P.S. Wear gloves.

Well at least that sounds like a humane deterrent..thanks.

tonrob Jul 2nd 2013 2:34 am

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 10780756)
Well at least that sounds like a humane deterrent..thanks.

I didn't ask how they got it from the fox...

Pulaski Jul 2nd 2013 2:49 am

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 10780704)

Apart from being very destructive, physically, that you're asking the question makes me think that you've never smelled one? (An adult that has sprayed). :confused:

It is one of the foulest stenches on God's earth, and you wouldn't want to live within 300-400ft of the smell. Get rid of it, get rid of it now! :thumbdown: No good will come from letting it hang around!

scrubbedexpat097 Jul 2nd 2013 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10780764)
Apart from being very destructive, physically, that you're asking the question makes me think that you've never smelled one? (An adult that has sprayed). :confused:

It is one of the foulest stenches on God's earth, and you wouldn't want to live within 300-400ft of the smell. Get rid of it, get rid of it now! :thumbdown: No good will come from letting it hang around!

Plus old pepe le pew is probably crawling with fleas..

Lion in Winter Jul 2nd 2013 3:26 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10780712)

P.S. Wear gloves.

How do they get the foxes to pee into a bottle?

Hotscot Jul 2nd 2013 3:44 am

So..by getting rid of it...does that mean killing it? I'm not sure what people do in this case. It looks like it's just a baby.

CelticRover Jul 2nd 2013 4:00 am

Rabies in skunks is also a concern in California.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/healthinfo/di...es/rabies.aspx

civilservant Jul 2nd 2013 5:17 am

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 10780794)
So..by getting rid of it...does that mean killing it? I'm not sure what people do in this case. It looks like it's just a baby.

The fox pee will ward it off, although thats moving it on for others to deal with rather than dealing with it. I personally am loathed to kill anything that isn't a spider or scorpion.

Pulaski Jul 2nd 2013 10:49 am

Trapping and relocating it is an option, though I don't know at what age they start spraying, so there is a risk, to you, and whatever vehicle you transport it in. I say "you" because relocating trapped animals isn't legal under California law, so a pest control company isn't really an option. You can buy a cat/ racoon sized trap for about $40 at your local agricultural supply business. If you do a relocation, I'd take it at least several miles away, as many animals roam a good distance and you don't want it to find it's way home to you.

That said, and while agreeing with Civilservant in principle, I would say that killing is the best option (for you at least :rolleyes: ). Probably a shotgun if you're shooting it untrapped, or I hear that if an pest animal is near people, a house or built-up area, parked vehicles, road, etc that trapping it (see above) and shooting it in the cage is the way to do it. I'd feel a little bad for the animal, but they are a pest animal that is very common, very destructive, and in addition there is the smell, fleas, and the rabies risk.

joto Jul 2nd 2013 12:55 pm

Just saying, if it's a baby, or very young skunk there maybe it's parent skunks nearby.

Nutmegger Jul 2nd 2013 2:14 pm

Call your local animal control department. They will either help you themselves or refer you to a local wildlife relocation expert to trap and release it into a suitable place.

Sorry -- just saw Pulaski's post about relocation not being legal in CA. Not even for experts? But I would still contact animal control.

Hiro11 Jul 2nd 2013 2:29 pm

They are destructive and the stench literally alters your ability to think straight, but skunks are indeed among the cutest critters around. In many states, it's legal to de-stinkify a skunk and keep them as pets. Apparently, them make terrific pets and are about as smart as dogs. They have endearingly terrible eyesight and hearing which makes them constantly surprised. Also, I love the idea of an animal who's best defense is that they will make you smell bad for a week straight.

I had one come into my garage when I accidentaly left the door open over night. As skunks are nocturnal he (she?) didn't want to leave during the day. It was completely, lovably hopeless: trying to hide its giant skunk body behind objects that were way too small, general ridiculous half-pace scurrying, jumping in terror when I played loud AC/DC in an attempt to drive it away. By noon, I was completely in love with the little guy. As long as he didn't spray me.

Lion in Winter Jul 2nd 2013 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 10781448)
They are destructive and the stench literally alters your ability to think straight. Apparently, them make terrific pets and are about as smart as dogs. They have endearingly terrible eyesight and hearing which makes them constantly surprised.

I think you have just described about half the membership of BE. :)

Pulaski Jul 2nd 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 10781428)
Call your local animal control department. They will either help you themselves or refer you to a local wildlife relocation expert to trap and release it into a suitable place.

Sorry -- just saw Pulaski's post about relocation not being legal in CA. Not even for experts? But I would still contact animal control.

No, not legal for anyone (information thanks to Mike Roe's "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel, which shot a "skunk episode", coincidently in Los Angles county, if I remember correctly) to relocate a trapped animal off the piece of land (lot, parcel, unit, whatever) that it was caught on. Of course, in practice people do, but city/ county pest control and other pest services are not likely to flought the law. BTW Mike Row pulled a skunk out from a house crawl space and let it go in the back yard. The pest officer admitted on camera that given half chance the skunk would go straight back under the house! :rolleyes:

Personally, I think calling pest control about a baby skunk is going to give them a good laugh .... "Hey, guys, we have some British guy on the phone, wants us to come and remove a skunk!" :D

Nutmegger Jul 2nd 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10781465)
Personally, I think calling pest control about a baby skunk is going to give them a good laugh .... "Hey, guys, we have some British guy on the phone, wants us to come and remove a skunk!" :D

Actually, I've done just that (town animal control, not an exterminator) when there was a rabied skunk on my property, and they came right out. But I'm not in CA.

Pulaski Jul 2nd 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 10781557)
Actually, I've done just that (town animal control, not an exterminator) when there was a rabied skunk on my property, and they came right out. But I'm not in CA.

I think it being rabid would be a game changer in any state. :confused:

Nutmegger Jul 2nd 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10781638)
I think it being rabid would be a game changer in any state. :confused:

Very true!

Perhaps a call to the local person on this list might be of assistance to the OP (I understand they don't come out to pick up animals, but they usually have some good advice as to how to proceed):

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/WIL/r...acilities.html

gad33 Jul 2nd 2013 5:53 pm

I know this is a different state but when we lived in Colorado and had a raccoon problem, the Dept of Wildlife had a booklet describing the different wildlife and non-lethal deterrents. Don't know if California or the county you are in has something similar.

Hiro11 Jul 2nd 2013 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10781454)
I think you have just described about half the membership of BE. :)

:rofl::rofl:

limeynus Jul 2nd 2013 6:48 pm

Im in Orange County California. And I'm pretty sure relocation is legal here - our condo complex had a problem with racoons & skunks a few years ago and I believe the association arranged trapping and relocation.

So may be this is a county by county law?

Edit: Heres the dept of animal care & control - apparently you need permission:

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/skunks.asp