Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help us set our wedding date, please

Help us set our wedding date, please

Old Nov 4th 2001, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

BestGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

My British sweetheart and I (an American) are getting ready to file our 1-129F this week. We will send it to the Nebraska Servicing Center.

I want to go ahead with wedding plans, but I don't know what is a reasonable date to set. Too early, and he might not have his visa. Too late, and he will have to wait to enter the US. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have seen the websites with times, but I don't know how to turn that information into when he actually might have his visa in hand. We are hoping for May or June, by the way.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4th 2001, 11:16 pm
Crazyjohn

My advice: given the uncertainties in the world today and the effect it has had on
the fiancee visa process, I wouldn't plan a wedding date yet. At least not until you
have an interview date at the embassy.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 4th 2001, 11:43 pm
Onigiri

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Say what ? Couldn't he come here and cool his "heels"-- in an euphemistic manner of
speaking? It could be upto 3 months for Nebraska to move. Then a couple of more
months for UK end to work up things. After the person gets a visa then he will have
six months to use it. So, go ahead with a June date and have him come over a month
early, if he can...after all, you have 3 months after his arrival to file AoS.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 5th 2001, 1:31 am
Synchro1212

Good luck on trying to dtermine that. I dont think anyone has a definate answer. From
what I understand some INS offices work faster than others, and it depends on how
many visas are beign processed. I would just get things going as soon as you can and
unfortunately just wait. I am going through the same thing and it is so difficult at
times, but from what I have been told it will happen just have faith. The most time I
have seen though is about 6 months. So you are planning for about the right time, and
that is if there are no hold ups. Good Luck and God Bless.

Old Nov 5th 2001, 12:25 pm
Beth Bell

Make it easy on yourself, once he gets the interview date, plan a low-key wedding at
the courthouse, then have an "announcement party" or larger ceremonial wedding once
you are living together permanently and can plan properly. We did that, and although
it's not quite traditional, it suited us just fine, given the unique (well not in
this NG, anyway) situation we were
in. The ceremony at the courthouse was followed by a nice sit down luncheon for 19
people- immediate family, very close friends. Then a cake and champagne open
house at one of the friend's houses for local friends and family to stop by.
Invitations got sent out for this about 2-3 weeks before. Then, 3 months later,
we had a big "announcement party" with rented hall and dj, etc.
announcements/invites for this went out as soon as we got back from our
honeymoon. Minimal worry, minimal stress involved (just alot of work- as with
any wedding).

see 3 weddin' pix: http://www.bethandpaul.com follow wedding links. I'm married to a
brit, too Good luck whichever route you choose. Beth

Old Nov 6th 2001, 12:24 am
Betastar

On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:25:14 -0500, "Beth Bell" <[email protected]> informed
the world:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I totally agree with this! Reinhard and I married in the church where I went when I
grew up - we told friends and family they could come to the ceremony if they wanted,
and were very surprised that about 50 people showed up at the church! This was the
day after Thanksgiving last year - Nov. 24th. We had dinner out with immediate family
only afterwards.

This year, on September 7th, we had a party in celebration of our marriage.

It was WONDERFUL - like having your wedding day all over again =)) I recommend it
highly to everyone.

Betastar

Old Nov 8th 2001, 7:54 pm
Sheri

Hi Best Girl,

My husband and I were puzzling too about planning our wedding. 90 days seemed like
such a short time and also we wanted to file for our Adjustment of Status as soon as
possible. (You can't file AOS and apply for the work authorization until you are
married here in the U.S. on a Fiance Visa.)

So what we did was marry privately in Virginia a few days after he came to the U.S.
and then took a honeymoon up the east coast for a week. It was wonderful... just the
two of us and after a year and a half of being in an long distance relaitonship it
was well worth it and very beneficial. The moment we got home to California we filed
AOS. We planned our ceremony with family and friends for 7 months later and this gave
us plenty of time not only to make arrangements, but also for my husband to find a
job (took longer than we expected) and generally adjust to being here in America.

I have to tell you that we were just as excited to have our second wedding. We got to
experience all the rushing, fretting, fun and anticipation leading up to the big day!
It was also great because all the people we loved were there including eight members
of his family who flew over. His mom cried buckets!

So we'll be celebrating two anniverseries each year! The first one we call "The Day
We Got Married" The second one is "Our Wedding Day"! Both days are very special to
us. My husband says he is happy that he got to say his vows to me twice. :}

Best of luck on your wedding day (or days) !!!

Sheri

BestGirl wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 18th 2001, 12:37 am
Synchro1212

We are planning much the same as the others. We will get married at the JP office so
we can apply for AOS, then after we are settled, we will have a ceremony with friends
and family. His family is flying over for the wedding, so that will give us time to
plan it right. The only reason for urgency is so you can file your AOS. The rest take
your time and enjoy.