Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help! Unable to use K1 visa

Help! Unable to use K1 visa

Old Jun 25th 2002, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Barry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Unable to use K1 visa

My K1 visa expires at the end of September. Unfortunately, for various reasons, it looks certain that our wedding plans will have to be postponed for the time being, but I need to travel to the US as soon as possible. It seems I have two options - travel to the States on my visa, return home, and re-apply at a later date, or contact the US Embassy (London) explain the situation and have the visa cancelled. In any event, will I face any problems if/when I make another K1 visa application in the future? We had no problems with any part of the process earlier this year. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old Jun 25th 2002, 6:29 pm
vix
Forum Regular

vix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Unable to use K1 visa

I may be missing something here but if you have the visa and need to travel to the US as soon as possible then why not get married and apply for AP to return to the UK.
Old Jun 25th 2002, 7:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

vix,

Did you miss the part, immediately before he said he needs to travel to the US, where he said "it looks certain that our wedding plans will have to be postponed for the time being,"?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by vix
I may be missing something here but if you have the visa and need to travel to the US as soon as possible then why not get married and apply for AP to return to the UK.
Old Jun 25th 2002, 7:47 pm
vix
Forum Regular

vix is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeff

No i saw that but presumed that they were having a big wedding , what i meant was if he was going over anyways then why not have a "quickie" court house wedding while he has the visa , get AP , return home and when able continue with their plans. It just seems a shame to me that they have come this far , have the visa and now it looks like they will have to abandon it .
Old Jun 26th 2002, 12:20 am
Alvena Ferreira

Barry wrote:
    > My K1 visa expires at the end of September. Unfortunately, for various reasons, it
    > looks certain that our wedding plans will have to be postponed for the time being,
    > but I need to travel to the US as soon as possible. It seems I have two options -
    > travel to the States on my visa, return home, and re-apply at a later date, or
    > contact the US Embassy (London) explain the situation and have the visa cancelled.
    > In any event, will I face any problems if/when I make another K1 visa application
    > in the future? We had no problems with any part of the process earlier this year.
    > Any advice will be appreciated.
    >
If you cannot use the K-1 visa at this time, the London consulate MAY renew the visa
for another 6 months. Contact the consulate and see if they would do this for you.
Generally, if there is a good reason, and IF the US fiance documents that the
marriage is still wanted, they are likely to do this.

However, there are some stipulations. See page 4 of this pdf file from the US State
Department regarding procedures for re-issuance of the k-1 visa. Basically, you enter
on the K-1, do not marry, return to the Uk, and have them re-issue the visa, IF you
return within the original 90 days of visa validity. (if I am reading this correctly)

http://www.foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0941081N.pdf

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================