Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help Someone please

Help Someone please

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

ginger is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Help Someone please

Hi. my husband and i are from england but have lived here in the states for many years on and off. my husband has a h1 visa and we have just applied for our green card. my question is if we wanted to return to england now for a couple of years would it be ok or do we have to stay here until we get the green card. I know we can go back for a vacation but i want to go back to england for at least a couple of years. Is it possible to do this from london. Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2002, 8:37 pm
Agresao

Default Re: Help Someone please

ginger <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi. my husband and i are from england but have lived here in the states for many
    > years on and off. my husband has a h1 visa and we have just applied for our green
    > card. my question is if we wanted to return to england now for a couple of years
    > would it be ok or do we have to stay here until we get the green card. I know we
    > can go back for a vacation but i want to go back to england for at least a couple
    > of years. Is it possible to do this from london. Thanks

Hi,

It's not clear what you mean by "we have just applied for our green card". If, as I
suspect, it's an employment based green card, it's not you, but your (or your
husband's) employer who applies for it. The only green-card related form that you can
file yourself is the I-485 - the adjustment of status application - the last phase of
the green card process, if you're already in the US.

You can return to the UK and keep the green card process going if the employer
sponsoring the green card agrees to employ you in the US once the green card petition
is approved. However, if you're in the adjustment of status phase, if you move your
residence back to the UK, the I-485 is considered abandoned. In this case you can get
the green card at the US consulate in the UK.