Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help Required! You may have been asked this before!!!

Help Required! You may have been asked this before!!!

Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

dunkmat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Required! You may have been asked this before!!!

Hi All,

New to this but here we go. Just purchased a property in Florida (Bradenton). We have visited 20 times and love the place hence the purchase. We are a family of 2 adults in the 30's and 2 young children 2 & 5.

If we wanted to live full time is this impossible? Nothing is impossible so what steps do I take? How long is any process?

I work in Construction and have done for 20 years, my wife has her own business. We own the property in US outright and have assets available approx $700,000.

We are being told we'd have to buy a business etc which is possible. Guidence would be appreciated.

Reasons for move is our children!

Anyway any help appreciated

Many Thanks
Duncan
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Required! You may have been asked this before!!!

Originally Posted by dunkmat
Hi All,

New to this but here we go. Just purchased a property in Florida (Bradenton). We have visited 20 times and love the place hence the purchase. We are a family of 2 adults in the 30's and 2 young children 2 & 5.

If we wanted to live full time is this impossible? Nothing is impossible so what steps do I take? How long is any process?

I work in Construction and have done for 20 years, my wife has her own business. We own the property in US outright and have assets available approx $700,000.

We are being told we'd have to buy a business etc which is possible. Guidence would be appreciated.

Anyway any help appreciated

Many Thanks
Duncan
Only once or twice a week:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

You own or buy business as a national of a qualifying Treaty country. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (the more, the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum. Your dependent spouse may work. Non-immigrant visa Search for: E2.
You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you, or half that in certain areas. Your background will be investigated to the hilt. Dual-intent visa Search for: EB5.

1 OF 2 OPTIONS THEN!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You own or buy business as a national of a qualifying Treaty country. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (the more, the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum. Your dependent spouse may work. Non-immigrant visa Search for: E2.
You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you, or half that in certain areas. Your background will be investigated to the hilt. Dual-intent visa Search for: EB5.

1 OF 2 OPTIONS THEN!
Good luck; there may be some people over at the Florida Forum in the same boat: http://thefloridaforums.com/index.php
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

aye, apart from checking the wiki link on ways into the US and the visa section...there isn't any easy or cheap ways in, and having property won't give you any benefits.

E2 visa is also a bag of shite.

If your of retired age, you could consider B2 for long stays, but that's probably not what your looking for is it.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

E2 bag of shite doesn't leave much other option does it?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

E2 bag of shite doesn't leave much other option does it?
The E-2 has many faults but for most with your intent
its the only option... your quotation is a bit old now ..those figures will be higher now

http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
With the E-2 ..they will be slung out of theUS at 21 ...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:13 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

And if you buy / build a business, doesn't it have to employ "n" number of Americans after a certain period..

They know all the scams so if it's seems easy or there appears to be a work-around.... BCIS will be all over ya..
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
With the E-2 ..they will be slung out of theUS at 21 ...
which is why it's a bag of shite...and other reasons...but also getting into the US isn't easy.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if the business goes tits up don't you get slung out? If the move is for your children, why the hell are you looking at Florida? Nice for a holiday (I'm told) but from my understanding, pretty crap for education.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Also, if the business goes tits up don't you get slung out? If the move is for your children, why the hell are you looking at Florida? Nice for a holiday (I'm told) but from my understanding, pretty crap for education.
Understatement of the decade.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Also, if the business goes tits up don't you get slung out? ...
yup..and shite schools for the most part, wrinklies don't seem to care....but there's sun, so it ain't all bad....
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

EB5 if you can liquidate your assets is a possibility.
L1 is possible if the UK business is substantial enough.
E2, as suggested by others, is the visa of last resort.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

andromakhe is an unknown quantity at this point

As anywhere else in the world, and the country, the quality of education is dependent upon the teachers, the school, and the school system. My daughters are learning alot more here than they ever did in England. I have also taught in both countries, and I have experiences much to the contrary. We also moved here for our kids and they never been happier (or as well-educated).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.