Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help renweing UK Passport in USA

Help renweing UK Passport in USA

Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:22 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help renweing UK Passport in USA

Hello everyone

I know you have probably seen threads like this a million and one times but i have been trying to find out what i need to renew my UK passport in the US for a while now and i am finding it extremely confusing.
I found this site and thought maybe i can finally get it sorted

Well, i am 17 i moved to the US in early 2004
My mother is English and father American. I have a expired UK passport which ran out around 3 days after i moved here. That kind of trapped me here

So to my knowledge a person in my situation will need to send these documents along with the application and payment to get a new passport

. Expired UK Passport
. Mothers long form birth certificate
. My long form birth certificate

Also about the counter signature section. I don't really have that many people that can sing it. My doctor had done it before but did it wrong and it takes ages for her to do it. Does it really have to be a "Professional" person? Do they even check to see?

If i get any response to this you don't know how much i would appreciate it.
I have been trying to do this for ages now

Cheers
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help renweing UK Passport in USA

Do you not also have an American passport?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

secondarylab will become famous soon enoughsecondarylab will become famous soon enough

Take a look at the embassy website. It says to send it to Washington for processing and according to the FAQ, you don't need a counter-signatory if your appearance hasn't changed greatly. If you're 17 and your passport expired then the photo was taken when you were..12? If you're in Washington then go in person to see if they'll accept your application without a counter-signature. Otherwise, use your judgment to see if a signature is necessary. You can also visit your nearest Consulate General or Honourary Consulate.

You don't need either birth certificates since this is not your first UK passport. You should have a new one in 2 week's time. Just pay the fee and be at the address you specify to receive the new passport. It's simple, quick and easy.

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
. Expired UK Passport
. Mothers long form birth certificate
. My long form birth certificate
Cheers
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by secondarylab
Take a look at the embassy website. It says to send it to Washington for processing and according to the FAQ, you don't need a counter-signatory if your appearance hasn't changed greatly. If you're 17 and your passport expired then the photo was taken when you were..12? If you're in Washington then go in person to see if they'll accept your application without a counter-signature. Otherwise, use your judgment to see if a signature is necessary. You can also visit your nearest Consulate General or Honourary Consulate.

You don't need either birth certificates since this is not your first UK passport. You should have a new one in 2 week's time. Just pay the fee and be at the address you specify to receive the new passport. It's simple, quick and easy.
I would second that, mine was less than 2 weeks, the actual processing time was 2 days, the rest was in transit.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:05 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do you not also have an American passport?
Yes i do . It is also expired
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i do . It is also expired
To travel you will need the US one to get back in.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:01 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

you don't need a counter-signatory if your appearance hasn't changed greatly. If you're 17 and your passport expired then the photo was taken when you were..12?
Then i will definitely need a counter signature then.
I was issued my first one when i was around 8,9
You think i could get away with just a mate doing it ?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Then i will definitely need a counter signature then.
I was issued my first one when i was around 8,9
You think i could get away with just a mate doing it ?
Needs to be a designated person, as per the instructions. As someone else has said, you also need to renew your American passport. It might be best to do that first and send a copy of the ID page along with your British passport application.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

br1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the rough

Actually since it is his first Adult UK passport he will need birth certificates as well as a counter-signatory. Since child passports are done through a parent, you must establish your own identity/validity again once you apply after 16.

I just applied for my first adult about a month ago. It took about 3 1/2 weeks from putting it into the mail to receiving my passport.

Here's what you need at the end of the day in the envelope:

- Photos: Two. The image must be 35x45mm, high quality, 0 shadows etc. If you are not a confident photographer and photo shopper, get these done professionally. Find a place that knows the British standards. Bring a copy of the image requirements from the passport website for them. When printed, the image must at least appear to be against a light grey background. They altered mine a little. If it is blank white, they will be rejected. Remember, NO SHADOWS!

I had mine done at a local family photo place. The guy that ran the place knew his shit unlike the idiots at one place who told me that "white backgrounds fine!" It's not. He took it against a white background and then altered the contrast so it came out light grey. They scan the photos to get biometric information these days, so dont skimp!

One of these photos must be countersigned on the back. The statement that must be written onto it is on the last page of the form in the counter-signer section. Make sure they use your full name in the statement, IE: Mr. James George Davis, and sign and date.

- Payment: Credit card form from the website or money order, its about $200

- Form. Fill it out, print, use all capital letters, and a black or blue pen. Remember to initial every page where indicated. Do not let your signature go outside the box or it will be rejected.

- Birth certificates: Your and your mothers long form, official certificates. If they are copies, they must be the official kind with a signature etc. of the person that photocopied them and whatnot. If you cant get your mothers then you can use your fathers with some other things like marriage certificates, look that up on the website if needs be.

- Copy of US ID: I photo-copied my green card, but passport/VISA should also work. They want "federal" ID.

- Expired passport - duh.

****Counter-signer: It is more important that this person be a professional they can track down/look up than it is they are British. They can be British, Commonwealth (IE Canadian) or US citizen. I used my Canadian finance professor. Teachers, doctors, lawyers, police officers etc. They should have known you for at least two years.

Good Luck!

Last edited by br1t29; Mar 14th 2009 at 7:40 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:13 am
UNFORGIVABLE

Originally Posted by br1t29

- Copy of US ID: I photo-copied my green card, but passport/VISA should also work. They want "federal" ID.
I have an expired US passport , I couldn't use that could i ?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an expired US passport , I couldn't use that could i ?
You probably could use it, but since, as others have said, you will need to have a current US passport when you leave and return to the US, why not just renew the US passport first?