British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help with removal of jurisdiction letter plz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-removal-jurisdiction-letter-plz-760245/)

Oregon Bound May 31st 2012 3:47 pm

Help with removal of jurisdiction letter plz

My ex husband has finally agreed to allow me to immigrate to the US and take our three children with me.

Part of the deal is that any letter he signs for removing the children from here should be drawn up by my solicitor. Can anyone help me with what should be in this letter? I tried searching for examples but am struggling to find one.

Thanks in advance.

Noorah101 May 31st 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Help with removal of jurisdiction letter plz

Originally Posted by Oregon Bound (Post 10093057)
My ex husband has finally agreed to allow me to immigrate to the US and take our three children with me.

Part of the deal is that any letter he signs for removing the children from here should be drawn up by my solicitor. Can anyone help me with what should be in this letter? I tried searching for examples but am struggling to find one.

Thanks in advance.

How about the simple fact?

I, (name), agree to allow my three children to immigrate permanently to the USA.
(insert each child's information...name, birthdate, whatever identifier they have).

Rene

Oregon Bound May 31st 2012 3:54 pm

As simple as that? YAY! thanks :D

Noorah101 May 31st 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Oregon Bound (Post 10093075)
As simple as that? YAY! thanks :D

I'm no expert, and that was just a suggestion. See what your own solicitor says, I'm sure he'd know what to put in the letter, wouldn't he?

Rene

Oregon Bound May 31st 2012 4:07 pm

well it appears that my solicitors office are not sure EXACTLY what needs to be put. There doesn't seem to be any requirement for anything other than a letter saying my ex agrees.

jeffreyhy May 31st 2012 4:14 pm

Isn't this a solicitor's job, to prepare an appropriate agreement?

Originally Posted by Oregon Bound (Post 10093057)

Part of the deal is that any letter he signs for removing the children from here should be drawn up by my solicitor. Can anyone help me with what should be in this letter?

Perhaps you should be using a different solicitor? One who does know? Or perhaps a US immigration attorney, since the US immigration authorities are the target of the agreement?

Originally Posted by Oregon Bound (Post 10093103)
well it appears that my solicitors office are not sure EXACTLY what needs to be put.

Regards, JEff

lansbury May 31st 2012 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Oregon Bound (Post 10093103)
well it appears that my solicitors office are not sure EXACTLY what needs to be put. There doesn't seem to be any requirement for anything other than a letter saying my ex agrees.

Something to this effect:-

I (name) give consent and permission for my children (name children with place and dates of birth) for whom I have parental responsibility to be removed from the jurisdiction of the English Courts*. I also give consent for such children to be removed from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and for them to permanently reside in the United States of America.

* I think you reside in England. If not put in the Scottish or Northern Ireland Courts as appropriate. If it Wales it is the English/Welsh Courts.

S Folinsky Jun 2nd 2012 2:51 pm

Extrapolating from California FAMILY law practice, I've seen written agreements between parents outlining custody and visitation arrangements -- these are called "parenting plans" -- I know they also exist in the UK, Canada and Australia. In fact, they are encouraged.

This is a sample from Australia.