British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HELP! Refused entry to US as visitor (canadian citizen) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-refused-entry-us-visitor-canadian-citizen-110084/)

tweetybird Aug 1st 2002 11:00 pm

HELP! Refused entry to US as visitor (canadian citizen)

I don't know anything about being refused. I tried to cross at Niagria Falls in my car. Reason for refusal was the officer thought I was just going to stay in US and never go back to canada which is not true. I was only going for 3 weeks and I had my car packed pretty full but that's becuase I had lots of clothes and some gifts and most of the stuff in there was staying in the US. I go there often so I like to leave stuff. The officer read my journal too. That is private! I couldn't believe it. btw, my x-bf is there and we just broke up (3 years together) I was going there to settle things and get closure but of course I didn't tell the officer this but it was in my journal. Anyway, here are my questions, how bad is it going to be the next time I try to cross? I'm going to bring way less stuff with me. I know I need to show I have binding ties to canada but that is going to be hard because I live with my parents and work for my dad. My dad is going to write a letter proving I'm coming back with copies of my tax returns. Will that be good enough? I'm so worried that I will never make into the US again. How bad is a refusal? does it stay on record forever? please help. Thanks. I need to see my x and get closure so I can move on with my life.

Stuart Brook Aug 2nd 2002 4:21 am

Re: HELP! Refused entry to US as visitor (canadian citizen)

tweetybird wrote:
    >
    > I don't know anything about being refused. I tried to cross at Niagria Falls in my
    > car. Reason for refusal was the officer thought I was just going to stay in US and
    > never go back to canada which is not true. I was only going for 3 weeks and I had
    > my car packed pretty full but that's becuase I had lots of clothes and some gifts
    > and most of the stuff in there was staying in the US. I go there often so I like to
    > leave stuff. The officer read my journal too. That is private! I couldn't believe
    > it. btw, my x-bf is there and we just broke up (3 years together) I was going there
    > to settle things and get closure but of course I didn't tell the officer this but
    > it was in my journal. Anyway, here are my questions, how bad is it going to be the
    > next time I try to cross? I'm going to bring way less stuff with me. I know I need
    > to show I have binding ties to canada but that is going to be hard because I live
    > with my parents and work for my dad. My dad is going to write a letter proving I'm
    > coming back with copies of my tax returns. Will that be good enough? I'm so worried
    > that I will never make into the US again. How bad is a refusal? does it stay on
    > record forever? please help. Thanks. I need to see my x and get closure so I can
    > move on with my life.
    >
    > --

Much Depends on the actual details of the refusal. Were you given a code for
the refusal ?

Stuart

tweetybird Aug 2nd 2002 2:20 pm

nope, I did not get a code, they just thought my intent was to stay and not come back.

Rete Aug 2nd 2002 3:31 pm

And you can't find fault with their thoughts. You were packing a full car even though you claimed to be only visiting the US for three weeks, you had numerous gifts (probably over the allowable customs allowance), and you are young.

As a Canadian I assume you did not use a passport to entry the US and just flashed your driver's license. I also assumed they had you pull over the the parking area and had you go into the office for interrogation. Whatever you admitted to while in the office is logged onto the INS computer databank. Although they did not ban from future entry apparently, it would be helpful to know exactly what they did tell you about future attempts to visit the US.

Yes you should bring as much proof of your ties to Canada as possible. A letter on your father's business stationary will help although a quick thinking agent might see that as a put up job as would the tax returns issued to you from your father's business. But I would not go without them.

In all likelihood, you will not be stopped if you follow a few simple guidelines. For a three week visit you need only pack one or perhaps two suitcases of medium size. Don't attempt to bring in more than $300 in gifts and don't have them wrapped in pretty paper. Have the receipts for them available upon request. Have the name, address and phone number readily available of the person(s) you will be staying with during your stay. Refrain from discussing closure with the examiner. It may be important to you but it is a death sentence to entrance. For closure can turn into enclosure and enclosure into migration quickly.

Be pleasant, smile, be truthful, but don't volunteer information if you are questioned again.

Rete
(who has many Can/Am crossings under her belt)

tweetybird Aug 2nd 2002 6:01 pm

i'm also going to have a letter stating I have applied to go to school in Can and am waiting for accpetance. Also, should I tell them that I will be emptying my apt. there and bring all the stuff back for school? lastly, is it a good idea to bring my computer. I only need the tower as i have monitor and everthing else still there. I know people bring laptops all the time, so whats the diff of a desktop. I don't want refusal again. I am coming back can. I was always comimg back. I just wasn't truthful about the 3 weeks. And no, all my gifts were under $300.

Stuart Brook Aug 2nd 2002 6:25 pm

Rete wrote:
    >
    > And you can't find fault with their thoughts. You were packing a full car even
    > though you claimed to be only visiting the US for three weeks, you had numerous
    > gifts (probably over the allowable customs allowance), and you are young. <snip>
    > Be pleasant, smile, be truthful, but don't volunteer information if you are
    > questioned again.
    >
    > Rete (who has many Can/Am crossings under her belt)

Rete's recommendations are good although I'd go further.

At this stage, I wouldn't even take THAT much stuff, and wouldn't go for that long.
Lots of visits to the US by car (remember your license plate is probably recorded)
will make it look suspicious.

Mention of "boy/girl"friends is dangerous, whether they are ex or not. Just "friends"
is far safer. Lots of gifts is likely to be suspicious too that you're going to "make
up". Cross border relationships have got to be one of the most risky kinds imaginable
to manage and meet immigration and customs laws. The laws of neither Canada nor the
USA give anything buy minor benefits to courting couples until such time as they
finally agree to marry and then only if they demonstrate immigrant intent.
Non-immigrant intent by a fiance or spouse if a citizen is viewed suspiciously in
that you may not obey the rules!

When you request entry to another country, NOTHING that you are carrying is private,
including the contents of your stomach, bowels, or even surgical implants! Never ever
take anything that might be suggestive of anything other than the fact that you are
going for a visit as a tourist. Business cards have caught many people.

You must LOOK like a tourist.

Stuart

Stuart Brook Aug 2nd 2002 11:20 pm

tweetybird wrote:
    >
    > i'm also going to have a letter stating I have applied to go to school in Can and
    > am waiting for accpetance. Also, should I tell them that I will be emptying my apt.
    > there and bring all the stuff back for school? lastly, is it a good idea to bring
    > my computer. I only need the tower as i have monitor and everthing else still
    > there. I know people bring laptops all the time, so whats the diff of a desktop. I
    > don't want refusal again. I am coming back can. I was always comimg back. I just
    > wasn't truthful about the 3 weeks. And no, all my gifts were under $300.
    >
    > --

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you tell them that you had an apartment in the US, they are absolutely not going
to believe that you're going to be coming back to Canada whatever you say! Think what
you're doing ... you're admitting that you were living in the USA on a visitor visa.

SHIP the stuff back to Canada.

Rete Aug 4th 2002 7:21 pm

Stuart is so RIGHT!

Admit you have an apartment already in the US and you will be banned for life. You are Canadian. You do not have the right to have an apartment in the US with a lease of more than six months. Six months being the total length of time a Canadian can "visit" the US. What you appear to have been doing is virtually living in the US rather than being a tourist. You are in enough trouble with one entry refusal. Don't do anything stupid by saying anything that will heat the water to boiling.

As for the computer, a small laptop should not be a problem as most people these days can't live without a computer and/or cell phone attached to their ears. (Don't know what happened to the days when people enjoyed time alone or out of communication with the rest of the world. It was once called vacation.) But a tower or desktop lends a different connotation to the taking of a computer on holiday. Especially if you don't have a monitor or accessories.

You told the board that you wish to go back to the US for closure. (another issue I have a problem with ... but it is a personal issue.) Now you are admitting to having an apartment and personal effects in the US. What you are in essence telling us is that you have been living in the US as a resident and using Canada only as a way station to avoid possible detention.

Follow Stuart's sound advice and think twice before you become involved with an American again. There are immigration laws for my country and yours to be followed. Do I know about them and how? Because I'm a USC and married a Canuck. I've been there, done that, have the tee shirt and INS pissed on it for us.

Rete

gardencity Aug 5th 2002 2:31 am

Originally posted by Stuart Brook
....Never ever take anything that might be suggestive of anything other than the fact that you are going for a visit as a tourist. Business cards have caught many people.

You must LOOK like a tourist.

Stuart

Stuart:

I have entered USA a few times under VWP (Singaporean to USA) and have gone there for work purposes(attend expos). There were a couple of times where, after stating why I am entering USA, I showed my business card at the POE to prove my intent of entry. I was allowed to go through both times. No further question asked.

(Funnily though, at one time, the guy at the immigration counter said NO NEED TO SHOW while at another time, I was asked to show).

From what you have stated above, has there been any NEW AMENDMENT?

Rete Aug 5th 2002 5:52 pm

Originally posted by gardencity

Stuart:

I have entered USA a few times under VWP (Singaporean to USA) and have gone there for work purposes(attend expos). There were a couple of times where, after stating why I am entering USA, I showed my business card at the POE to prove my intent of entry. I was allowed to go through both times. No further question asked.

(Funnily though, at one time, the guy at the immigration counter said NO NEED TO SHOW while at another time, I was asked to show).

From what you have stated above, has there been any NEW AMENDMENT?

Believe Stuart was talking about business cards with US addresses on them and the foreigner's name.

Stuart Brook Aug 5th 2002 6:20 pm

gardencity wrote:
    >
    > Stuart Brook wrote:
    > > ....Never ever take anything that might be suggestive of anything other than
    > > the fact that you are going for a visit as a tourist. Business cards have
    > > caught many people. You must LOOK like a tourist. Stuart
    >
    > Stuart:
    >
    > I have entered USA a few times under VWP (Singaporean to USA) and have gone there
    > for work purposes(attend expos). There were a couple of times where, after stating
    > why I am entering USA, I showed my business card at the POE to prove my intent of
    > entry. I was allowed to go through both times. No further question asked.
    >
    > (Funnily though, at one time, the guy at the immigration counter said NO NEED TO
    > SHOW while at another time, I was asked to show).
    >
    > From what you have stated above, has there been any NEW AMENDMENT?
    >
    > --
    > :)Gardencity

I did say "as a tourist" ... no business cards. If you're coming to the US to
attend expos, proof of your intent, like registration documents are good. A
business card doesn't necesarily cut it. The problem with business cards is that it
could be assumed that you were going to work (as in work for a US company, seek
employment etc.)

Stuart

Stuart Brook Aug 5th 2002 8:20 pm

Rete wrote:
    >
    > gardencity wrote:
    > > Stuart: I have entered USA a few times under VWP (Singaporean to USA) and have
    > > gone there for work purposes(attend expos). There were a couple of times where,
    > > after stating why I am entering USA, I showed my business card at the POE to
    > > prove my intent of entry. I was allowed to go through both times. No further
    > > question asked. (Funnily though, at one time, the guy at the immigration
    > > counter said NO NEED TO SHOW while at another time, I was asked to show). From
    > > what you have stated above, has there been any NEW AMENDMENT?
    >
    > Believe Stuart was talking about business cards with US addresses on them and the
    > foreigner's name.

Even carrying foreign business cards when entering as a Tourist is a risky business
because there is suspicion of what you might be doing.

Stuart

tweetybird Aug 8th 2002 1:17 am

okay...i did not tell the officer anything about my relationship with my ex. He read it all in my journal. When he did ask me who the person was I told him the truth and said it was my ex boyfriend. It didn't really matter though, he already read everything.

I tried to get back in today. I took past tax reciepts(3years), letter from my dad(my employer). Letter saying I have applied to college and a bank statement dating back to 99. I only took 1 suitcase too. All, i have to say is...why when you try to do things the right way it always blows up in your face. I live with my parents and work for my dad apparently that is not a real residence and not a real job. I was refused again. I don't know what to do. I need to go and get my things...I can't take a plane, if i can't get refused at the airport that's worse. I'm coming back to canada, why don't they just believe me. It's just not fair. Can someone put a bond to prove I will be back? Once school starts I won't have time to go there and get my stuff. This makes me think lying is better than honesty. I don't know what to do.

Rete Aug 8th 2002 2:17 am

Sorry it failed again Tweety. I don't have any other advice to give you on how to make a successful crossing.

Just Me Aug 8th 2002 4:17 am

Get a visa. They will have to let you in then. If not, talk to a lawer and sue
the ****er.

"tweetybird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > okay...i did not tell the officer anything about my relationship with my ex. He
    > read it all in my journal. When he did ask me who the person was I told him the
    > truth and said it was my ex boyfriend. It didn't really matter though, he already
    > read everything.
    > I tried to get back in today. I took past tax reciepts(3years), letter from my
    > dad(my employer). Letter saying I have applied to college and a bank statement
    > dating back to 99. I only took 1 suitcase too. All, i have to say is...why when
    > you try to do things the right way it always blows up in your face. I live with my
    > parents and work for my dad apparently that is not a real residence and not a real
    > job. I was refused again. I don't know what to do. I need to go and get my
    > things...I can't take a plane, if i can't get refused at the airport that's worse.
    > I'm coming back to canada, why don't they just believe
    > me. It's just not fair. Can someone put a bond to prove I will be back? Once
    > school starts I won't have time to go there and get my stuff. This makes me
    > think lying is better than honesty. I don't know what to do.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Stuart Brook Aug 8th 2002 4:48 am

Rete wrote:
    > Sorry it failed again Tweety. I don't have any other advice to give you on how to
    > make a successful crossing.

Clearly your case is entered in the INS computer ... with enough detail to make your
refusals most likely. If you drove, how did you get fingered for more details ?

About all you can do is contact a friend in the US and have them ship your stuff up.

This is going to come to bite you for some time.

Ingo Pakleppa Aug 11th 2002 1:12 pm

Canadians don't need a visa, and generally can't get it, either. And a visa is not a
guarantee of admission!

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 21:17:46 -0700, Just Me wrote:

> Get a visa. They will have to let you in then. If not, talk to a lawer and sue
    > the ****er.
    > "tweetybird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> okay...i did not tell the officer anything about my relationship with my ex. He
    >> read it all in my journal. When he did ask me who the person was I told him the
    >> truth and said it was my ex boyfriend. It didn't really matter though, he already
    >> read everything.
    >> I tried to get back in today. I took past tax reciepts(3years), letter from my
    >> dad(my employer). Letter saying I have applied to college and a bank statement
    >> dating back to 99. I only took 1 suitcase too. All, i have to say is...why when
    >> you try to do things the right way it always blows up in your face. I live with
    >> my parents and work for my dad apparently that is not a real residence and not a
    >> real job. I was refused again. I don't know what to do. I need to go and get my
    >> things...I can't take a plane, if i can't get refused at the airport that's worse.
    >> I'm coming back to canada, why don't they just believe
    >> me. It's just not fair. Can someone put a bond to prove I will be back? Once
    >> school starts I won't have time to go there and get my stuff. This makes me
    >> think lying is better than honesty. I don't know what to do.
    >> --
    >> Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Ingo Pakleppa Aug 11th 2002 1:13 pm

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 20:32:01 -0700, tweetybird wrote:

> okay...i did not tell the officer anything about my relationship with my ex. He
    > read it all in my journal. When he did ask me who the person was I told him the
    > truth and said it was my ex boyfriend. It didn't really matter though, he already
    > read everything.
    > I tried to get back in today. I took past tax reciepts(3years), letter from my
    > dad(my employer). Letter saying I have applied to college and a bank statement
    > dating back to 99. I only took 1 suitcase too. All, i have to say is...why when
    > you try to do things the right way it always blows up in your face. I live with my
    > parents and work for my dad apparently that is not a real residence and not a real
    > job. I was refused again. I don't know what to do. I need to go and get my
    > things...I can't take a plane, if i can't get refused at the airport that's worse.
    > I'm coming back to canada, why don't they just believe
    > me. It's just not fair. Can someone put a bond to prove I will be back? Once
    > school starts I won't have time to go there and get my stuff. This makes me
    > think lying is better than honesty. I don't know what to do.

There indeed is something like admission on bond. I don't know the details of it,
though. You may want to talk to a lawyer about it.

Ingo

toby Oct 6th 2002 2:51 pm

hello, I just went through almost the samething as with My fiancé, The car was over packed, she was coming down for three weeks. And minimal ties to Cananda So she was refused entry. I have applied for a finacé visa, does anyone know if this refusal will cause any delay, or problems with getting the visa?

-Thank You,
Visa:

Stuart Brook Oct 6th 2002 4:40 pm

toby wrote:
    > hello, I just went through almost the samething as with My fiancé, The
    > car was over packed, she was coming down for three weeks. And minimal
    > ties to Cananda So she was refused entry. I have applied for a finacé
    > visa, does anyone know if this refusal will cause any delay, or problems
    > with getting the visa?
    > -Thank You,
    > Visa:

Unlikely to affect getting the visa, but could raise some questions on
entry. Did she admit when she was refused that she was coming to see
her fiance ? If she did, then it will be seen she's doing it the right
way. If she didn't, then she may have to explain the first refusal and