British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help, quickest ay to get Work permit when marr (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-quickest-ay-get-work-permit-when-marr-110155/)

chanty Aug 4th 2002 5:18 pm

Help, quickest ay to get Work permit when marr

I am from Engand, and am marrying my boyfriend a US citizen. I want to work In the US ASAP as my bofriend cannot really afford to support the both of us. so I have a few questions. if you can help

1.Would it be quicker to to get my Work papers) If we got married in England?

2. How long does this process take/

3. if it is quicker to file in the UK, can I go back to the states on a Tourist Visa while my application is being processed.

4. Also How long do I have to stay in the states until I am aloud to leave the country/

I would appreciate any info, as I am tearing my hair out with worry.

Rete Aug 4th 2002 5:28 pm

Re: Help, quickest ay to get Work permit when marr

Originally posted by chanty
I am from Engand, and am marrying my boyfriend a US citizen. I want to work In the US ASAP as my bofriend cannot really afford to support the both of us. so I have a few questions. if you can help

1.Would it be quicker to to get my Work papers) If we got married in England?

2. How long does this process take/

3. if it is quicker to file in the UK, can I go back to the states on a Tourist Visa while my application is being processed.

4. Also How long do I have to stay in the states until I am aloud to leave the country/

I would appreciate any info, as I am tearing my hair out with worry.

Question 1:

No it would not be quicker. You will have to remain apart for from 6 months to a year before you will be allowed into the US again and this time for immigration permission either through an approved K-3 or I-130

Question 2:

Depends on the method you use. A K-1 visa for Fiancee's should take from 3 to 6 months to obtain Once here you have to marry within 90 days. Then you file for adjustment of status for permanent resident. While you wait you can apply for work permission (EAD). Depending on where you will be filing after marriage it can be 1 day to 120 days. The K-1 infers the right to work for the first 90 days of entry but you need a social security card (which you are eligible for but again depending on where you live) you might have a difficult time obtaining before the end of the 90 day permission to work.

Question 3:

You can't file in London for ANYTHING. Your fiancee and/or husband is not a resident legally of England and has no right to file at the US Consulate in London. You can try to travel with the VWP but no guarantee you will be allowed in if they now you are engaged and/or married to a US citizen

Question 4:

There are noise laws in the US so you can't or should be "aloud" in public. You are allowed to leave the US after marriage anytime you want. The problem is not in the leaving but in the returning. You need special permission from the INS to return to the US after you are married and have filed for adjustment of status. Permission takes from 1 day to whenever again depending on where you have to file.

I know that I have not answered any of your questions fully. It is impossible to do so here. May I suggest that you read the FAQ below for the Fiancee Visa. And once you have done your reading and have a semi-good grip on the Fiancee process the answers you get from people will start to make sense.

Yup you knew it was coming didn't ya? Well Queen Mother of Nag is back to whine about the lack of responses from all you takers out there. With the many approvals and fly-ins the past few weeks, the experience pages have seen little if any activity. Now cut and paste the experiences you posted on the NG and paste them in the appropriate spaces on the experience pages.

Giving a little of yourself will mean a lot to those that follow

Remember every milestone should be recorded

Repeat of Former Post

I’m not the owner of these sites nor am I the webmaster. I am only the “Queen Mother of Nag� here to lay a guilt trip on one and all.

New to the wonderful world of US Immigration and Naturalization Services and the mind boggling forms, petitions and applications you need to complete and submit to have your foreign fiancée or spouse live with you in marital happiness within the borders of the US? Or are you an old hand at the process now and have completed one or more of the various steps along the yellow brick road and have met with and made friends with the Wizard behind Door Number 3.

Read About the I-129F/K-1 process

The K1 FAQ http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

Rete