Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help Please - Free Virus Checker?

Help Please - Free Virus Checker?

Old Mar 17th 2006, 11:55 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Question Help Please - Free Virus Checker?

Have looked through some of the old threads but thought I may need the most up to date info.

My Norton Anti Virus is due to come to an end and I'm a bit skint to pay the 50 dollars or so renewal.

Is there a safe and reliable free Anti virus out there? Since running stuff like Azureus am a bit paranoid in case they may make me more open to viruses.

Any ideas appreciated
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Please - Free Virus Checker?

www.filehippo.com

I'd say get Avast because it's good, checks your IM clients and P2P stuff...it's also not a resource got, doesn't look naff like AVG, and also quicker to scan...have to register it, but that's free, name and email.

And while at the site, if you are doing the torrents, get the Peerguardian as well.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I use AVG from Grisoft at home - I've not had any trouble with it.

You can download the free version here
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
... doesn't look naff like AVG, ......
Form over function Bob? You'll be buying a Mac next
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And while at the site, if you are doing the torrents, get the Peerguardian as well.
What's up with Peerguardian at the mo, Bob? The updated block lists are empty!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:22 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, now I am spoilt for choice! what does Peer Guardian do Bob?
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
Form over function Bob? You'll be buying a Mac next
It works, but it's a massive system resource hog compared to Avast...
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatbrit
What's up with Peerguardian at the mo, Bob? The updated block lists are empty!
Mine aren't...sometimes it happens that when it gets corrupted update, that they get knackered, you just delete the list files from the prog directory and it thinks it is a fresh install and gets them again...

oh, and if you use uTorrent, you'll be stuffed, somin' to do with the backend of the source being licensed to another company that is anti p2p related, but not being used for anti p2p uses, so you might have issues, i think they have a work around by re-routing you to use the bluetack IP blocklist until they sort themselves out...

Last edited by Bob; Mar 18th 2006 at 12:36 am.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Thanks all, now I am spoilt for choice! what does Peer Guardian do Bob?
It blocks nasties from looking at your IP such as RIAA, MPAA, all the people that you don't want to know who your connecting to, especially if your in the US, because they'll eventually get you otherwise...well in a gist

oh, and I wouldn't know anything about that...honest...

Last edited by Bob; Mar 18th 2006 at 12:37 am.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Mine aren't...sometimes it happens that when it gets corrupted update, that they get knackered, you just delete the list files from the prog directory and it thinks it is a fresh install and gets them again...

oh, and if you use uTorrent, you'll be stuffed, somin' to do with the backend of the source being licensed to another company that is anti p2p related, but not being used for anti p2p uses, so you might have issues, i think they have a work around by re-routing you to use the bluetack IP blocklist until they sort themselves out...

Yep -- that was the problem! Working now. Thx! I actually moved to Azareus when I noticed my problem with Peerguardian. still don't like it -- it's bloated!!! Might stay, though, till I see what's happening on the Utorrent front.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- that was the problem! Working now. Thx! I actually moved to Azareus when I noticed my problem with Peerguardian. still don't like it -- it's bloated!!! Might stay, though, till I see what's happening on the Utorrent front.
you should check the uTorrent beta from the hippo site because there's a lot of improvements to the release version, but I don't like uT that much because when you have more than say 3-5 files, the resources jump a lot, so might as well stick with aZ...plus I've got it all nicely configured *lol*...but yeah, uT, the beta's are a lot better, especially with encrypted files and the like..
Old Mar 18th 2006, 1:03 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Does this thread come with a free translation into English!!!!

FFS
Old Mar 18th 2006, 2:29 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Have looked through some of the old threads but thought I may need the most up to date info.

My Norton Anti Virus is due to come to an end and I'm a bit skint to pay the 50 dollars or so renewal.

Is there a safe and reliable free Anti virus out there? Since running stuff like Azureus am a bit paranoid in case they may make me more open to viruses.

Any ideas appreciated
I detest Norton's AV product and have used McAfee for ages now.

My Comcast High Speed service now provides McAfee for free. See if you own broadband service does something similar.

Computer Shopper magazine just rated various AV programs - F-secure came out higher rated than McAfee at $49.95 for the boxed version. McAfee was rated a little higher than Norton.

The highest rated was ZoneAlarm (best known for it's free firewall) Suite 6 which costs $69.95 boxed. That's less than 20 cents a day.

The online version of McAfee is only $35 a year.

I don't think that the price you pay for a good AV program is much considering the costly results of a bad infestation.

You can download a free trial of PC Tools Antivirus HERE
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using and have used Antivir http://www.free-av.com/ for quite some time now. Tried Avast and some others, but IMHO Antivir is the one that is the least intrusive, seems to catcha lot of stuff and is updated 3-4 times a day.

Amazing all these free av programs seem to blow away the stuff you pay top dollar for. Couldn't stand Norton/Symantec - we have it at work, grinding about on your hard disk all day slowing your computer down, total crap.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rushman
Does this thread come with a free translation into English!!!!

FFS
If you ain't naughty, your all set...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.