Help please

Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:31 pm
St. Louis

ljudi72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please

My Fiance and I have already submitted our I129F and received our first NOA 8/3/02. My Fiance has some issues and might need to have an extension on the petition. How would one go about doing this and how long could we get our petition extended for?

Thank You for any information.

Judith
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:39 pm
mca
Forum Regular

mca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help please

Originally posted by ljudi72:
My Fiance and I have already submitted our I129F and received our first NOA 8/3/02. My Fiance has some issues and might need to have an extension on the petition. How would one go about doing this and how long could we get our petition extended for?
What do you mean, get it extended? Also, where did you submit it?
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:43 pm
St. Louis

Originally posted by mca:

What do you mean, get it extended? Also, where did you submit it?
I filed through NSC. By extension I mean that my fiance is going to need more time than the 4 months that the approved petition is good for. We don't want the expiration to occur without us contacting someone to see if our approval can be extended.

I have heard that some people have been able to notify consulates with a letter indicating the reasons why someone wants an extension and then later the American Citizen has to send a new letter of intent to show they still intend to marry their Fiance.
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You for any information.

Judith
Hi:

This can be taken care at the CONSULAR end of things.

The K-1 visa itself is valid for 6 months from date of issuance. The consular officer has authority to extend the petition validity.

This used to be a non-issue. However, there have been reports that some POE's were refusing entry where the consul had not done the ministerial act of extending the petition validity. So you will want to make sure your beloved asks sweetly and politely at the visa interview "I've heard that you need to extend the petition validity, is that a problem??"
Old Sep 26th 2002, 3:00 pm
mca
Forum Regular

I filed through NSC. By extension I mean that my fiance is going to need more time than the 4 months that the approved petition is good for. We don't want the expiration to occur without us contacting someone to see if our approval can be extended.

I have heard that some people have been able to notify consulates with a letter indicating the reasons why someone wants an extension and then later the American Citizen has to send a new letter of intent to show they still intend to marry their Fiance.
I don't know exactly what he needs an extension for, or for how long, but if you have filed at NSC, it will be a while before you even receive your 2nd NOA. (First one was 8/3, right?) There are people from May, and possibly even April, who are still waiting for their petitions.

What country is your fiance from? How long would he be needing the extension?

I do not know how to go about getting an extension, but if it's just a couple months that you were wanting, I doubt he needs one.

You are correct that once the petition approved, it is valid for four months (at least, that is how I understand it, as well). You do also know, that after he receives his K-1, the K-1 is valid for six months? So that's ten months right there. Not to mention you probably won't receive your 2nd NOA, for at least another two months ...

Well, I'm starting to ramble a bit, but I hope this is of some help. I know I didn't answer your question, maybe someone else can.

I'm just a little baffled that someone would want an extension (no offense to you), since we are trying to get my fiance here as soon as possible. ;)

Good Luck
mca
Old Sep 26th 2002, 3:03 pm
mca
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:
... make sure your beloved asks sweetly and politely at the visa interview "I've heard that you need to extend the petition validity, is that a problem??"
If he is already at the visa interview, why would the petition need an extension? I think I am missing something here?
Old Sep 26th 2002, 3:09 pm
St. Louis

Originally posted by mca:

I don't know exactly what he needs an extension for, or for how long, but if you have filed at NSC, it will be a while before you even receive your 2nd NOA. (First one was 8/3, right?) There are people from May, and possibly even April, who are still waiting for their petitions.

What country is your fiance from? How long would he be needing the extension?

I do not know how to go about getting an extension, but if it's just a couple months that you were wanting, I doubt he needs one.

You are correct that once the petition approved, it is valid for four months (at least, that is how I understand it, as well). You do also know, that after he receives his K-1, the K-1 is valid for six months? So that's ten months right there. Not to mention you probably won't receive your 2nd NOA, for at least another two months ...

Well, I'm starting to ramble a bit, but I hope this is of some help. I know I didn't answer your question, maybe someone else can.

I'm just a little baffled that someone would want an extension (no offense to you), since we are trying to get my fiance here as soon as possible.

Good Luck
mca

Yes, I understand that most people are trying to get their Fiances here as soon as possible and that was our idea too. Unfortunately, my fiance's Father has become ill and this was not an expected occurrance. Maybe the 10 months will be enough but I just want to know what our options are so the K1 doesn't just expire.

My Fiance is from Turkey and unfortunately based on the reason we may need an extension I am not sure about the time frame.

Thank You for all the information and good luck
Old Sep 26th 2002, 4:25 pm
St. Louis

So my Fiance shoud go ahead and do everything he needs to for his visa interview and then ask the Consular Officer at the interview to please extend the petition validity?

I am just trying to be clear about this so we don't make a mistake and mess up our K1 chances.

Thank You so much for your information it is very helpful.

Sincerely,

Judith

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:

Hi:

This can be taken care at the CONSULAR end of things.

The K-1 visa itself is valid for 6 months from date of issuance. The consular officer has authority to extend the petition validity.

This used to be a non-issue. However, there have been reports that some POE's were refusing entry where the consul had not done the ministerial act of extending the petition validity. So you will want to make sure your beloved asks sweetly and politely at the visa interview "I've heard that you need to extend the petition validity, is that a problem??"