Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help plan our roadtrip - Memphis to Phoenix

Help plan our roadtrip - Memphis to Phoenix

Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help plan our roadtrip - Memphis to Phoenix

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Thanks Cindy, that'll be why they are $$$. I'll need to go to the library and get some books out about it!

Kaffy, If you were going to do one pink Jeep tour with a 5 and 7yr old, which one would you choose? They look really fun!
Hi there - I'll ask my Dad as he would likely know best re: the pink jeep tours. It might be tomorrow before I have an answer, but I'll be sure to let you know.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
BIG MISTAKE TO GO TO GRAND CANYON WITHOUT RESERVATIONS!!!!

The motels/hotels right at the Canyon often book up a year in advance.
Yep, but apparently people try to do it all the time. My Dad will ask tourists where they will be staying and they will say "oh, we'll just find something" ... "no you won't" is his reply.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
We did Phoenix - Sedona - Page (Antelope slot canyon & Lake Powell) - Grand Canyon North Rim - Bryce Canyon NP then Zion NP. Absolutely brilliant.

We however carried on our loop via Vegas then Tuscon before finishing in Phoenix.

If you carry on northwards through Utah instead I can hugely recommend Arches and Canyonlands NPs (both near Moab - did those, and more, on separate trips). I love all the big ginger NPs out west but actually enjoyed Grand Canyon the least.
Wot? No sprouts? (or was it the tourists?)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
Wot? No sprouts? (or was it the tourists?)
There's lots to do in a day in other parks. Many hikes you can complete and still be tucked up in bed at night. Unless you're super fit (enough to make it down to the bottom and back in a day) you can either bust a gut walking part way down and then drag yourself back out again or else go multi-day with a tent. I walked down from the North Rim for 2 hours and the North Rim for not much view and then took 3 hours to return.

I don't think the Grand Canyon gives you as much for your effort as Bryce, Zion, Arches and the others. Yes, it's big. You can sit there and stare at it and try to get a sense of scale. The other parks let you get up close and personal much more quickly and you can get a real sense of achievement in completing various trails.

Just my opinion (and thousands of tourists don't agree with me). I've done many trips out west - I love it - but I don't think I'll bother returning to the Grand Canyon.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

For campgrounds or cabins try KOA, we stayed in KOA KozyKabins on our journey across the northern states and found them to be very good, you have to provide your own bedding but that shouldnt be a problem

Have Fun !
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
For campgrounds or cabins try KOA, we stayed in KOA KozyKabins on our journey across the northern states and found them to be very good, you have to provide your own bedding but that shouldnt be a problem

Have Fun !
I looked at their other cabins, but no toilet!!
Yes I think we might do those for a couple of nights, the kids would probably really enjoy it.