Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help for new US PR with tax filing

Help for new US PR with tax filing

Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

krosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to all
Default Help for new US PR with tax filing

Hi all, i'm SURE this has been covered before but the search function isn't working at the moment (it keeps linking to the ad say behiind the search box).

If anyone can help with a redirection to another thread, i would be grateful. I've read the Wiki but it didn't seem to specify.

I've just entered the US, had my IR1 visa stamped and am back in the UK finalising affairs etc. I entered the US on May 26th 2011. Am i correct in thinking that i have to file for the 2011/12 tax year, because, as i understand, the tax year from the previous year has a filing requirement by April 15th 2011 (when i was obviously not under LPR status?).

Does anyone have any link that provides a clear way to confirm our tax filing obligations under the US LRP/resident alien status? I am looking on the IRS site here:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc851.html

Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for new US PR with tax filing

The US tax year is from Jan 1 to Dec 31 each year. Since you were not resident in the USA in 2010, you do not have to file a late 2010 tax return. Since you will be resident for part of the time in 2011, you will have to file a 2011 tax return by April 15, 2012. You should be getting your income documents by around February 2012.

Rene
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The US tax year is from Jan 1 to Dec 31 each year. Since you were not resident in the USA in 2010, you do not have to file a late 2010 tax return. Since you will be resident for part of the time in 2011, you will have to file a 2011 tax return by April 15, 2012.
+1.

Ian
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

krosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The US tax year is from Jan 1 to Dec 31 each year. Since you were not resident in the USA in 2010, you do not have to file a late 2010 tax return. Since you will be resident for part of the time in 2011, you will have to file a 2011 tax return by April 15, 2012. You should be getting your income documents by around February 2012.

Rene
Thank you very much for the concise and helpful answer !