British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help.....Never changed details on National Insurance Numbercard (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-never-changed-details-national-insurance-numbercard-877605/)

Faery May 17th 2016 1:14 pm

Help.....Never changed details on National Insurance Numbercard

So the latest in my many epic blunders....I am seeking advice regarding changing my name on my National Insurance Number Card as a British Expat.
I've been living in the US for 6 years and the name on the card is in my maiden name. After my first marriage in the UK 16 years ago I called the local Social Security office to get the name changed on the card only to be very brusquely told there was no need to as the number stays the same. I was very young and naive back then and stupidly, I believed what I was told. I've since divorced, moved to the US and married again.

I only just discovered I may be eligible to vote in the referendum and need to provide my NINC number and my passport number but the names are different. My passport is current and updated. I have looked at the name change form on the HMRC website but cannot complete it as I do not have a UTR or a PAYE reference number and it says in order to verify my identity I need to fill in at least one of those fields. I am working but not in the UK so cannot provide an employer name.

I attempted to call them for advice but was stuck in a queue on hold to speak to a human which was costing a small fortune as I am calling from the other side of the world so I had to hang up. Looking at this:

https://www.gov.uk/tell-hmrc-change-of-details

It seems like the name change form is not the right form anyway and I was supposed to fill out a P85 when I left the UK, yet I did not even know of it's existance! I don't owe any tax and they don't owe me any, as I did not work for years before leaving the country, I was taking care of my special needs child. It is the name changes and address details I do not know how to update and I am worried I may get in trouble for this. It looks like it will be too late to register to vote as I imagine I will have to send HMRC all the linking paperwork trail. I would like to get it sorted in case I ever want to move back to the UK. There doesn't appear to be an email service, just that stupid phone line and an address to write to which looks like my only option. I am beyond frustrated and yes, I already know how dumb I am...please don't remind me :o:( Any advice?

Owen778 May 17th 2016 1:38 pm

Re: Help.....Never changed details on National Insurance Numbercard

Have you tried registering to vote without changing the name associated with your NI number? The instructions for the form say you need your NI number and passport "if you have them", which would suggest it possibly isn't essential.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Faery May 17th 2016 1:42 pm

I almost did. Filled the form out and almost clicked the submit button until I read the part about fines and prison if any information is false. I thought if the name info doesn't match up they might think I am some sort of fraudster or I'll get in trouble for not having updated it.

yellowroom May 17th 2016 1:44 pm

Stop panicking, you are not going to get into trouble with anyone.

The National Insurance numbercard just tells you what your NI number is. It's not a form of ID and there is no requirement to tell them you've changed your name. (Social Security office? Do you mean the old DSS?).

Your NI number will be linked in the government database with your other records (previous tax paid, NI contributions, date of birth etc), so it will be easy to cross check that it is you if you provide with other requested information.

What happened when you provided your NI number and passport number to register to vote?

I've married relatively recently and have a mix of income, outgoings and accounts in my married and maiden names. It's really not an issue, I choose to file my tax return in my maiden name as that's what I use at work so is the main source of my income. No-one has batted an eyelid.

yellowroom May 17th 2016 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Faery (Post 11950254)
I almost did. Filled the form out and almost clicked the submit button until I read the part about fines and prison if any information is false. I thought if the name info doesn't match up they might think I am some sort of fraudster or I'll get in trouble for not having updated it.

But it's not false because your maiden name is a name that you were born with and that you are legally entitled to use. There is no issue here.

kodokan May 17th 2016 1:46 pm

I've never heard of a need to change the name on an NI card. Mine is still in my maiden name, yet HMRC were happily using my married name attached to that number for things like UK Child Tax Credits, for years before we moved. Weren't you getting something like that for your child?

The UK government seems fully aware that I'm the same person for the purposes of previous NI, accrued pension rights, Child Benefit, tax credits, etc etc. I'm sure it's fine.

Bermudashorts May 20th 2016 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 11950264)
I've never heard of a need to change the name on an NI card. Mine is still in my maiden name, yet HMRC were happily using my married name attached to that number for things like UK Child Tax Credits, for years before we moved. Weren't you getting something like that for your child?

The UK government seems fully aware that I'm the same person for the purposes of previous NI, accrued pension rights, Child Benefit, tax credits, etc etc. I'm sure it's fine.

Me neither. I was married in U.S., have never even attempted to change the name associated with my NI number amd neither has it ever been an issue.

LondonSquirrel May 21st 2016 3:57 am

Blimey I haven't had the actual card for donkey's years! I do know my NI number off by heart though.

Bermudashorts May 21st 2016 5:47 am

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel (Post 11953128)
Blimey I haven't had the actual card for donkey's years! I do know my NI number off by heart though.

No definitely don't have the card anymore, goodness who does! I lost mine about 28 years ago, when I was about 18 and I dint think they reissue them. But I have still never changed the name "associated" with my NI number and it has presented no troubles at all. UK government does appear to understamd very well that women often change their name when they get married.

LondonSquirrel May 21st 2016 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11953162)
No definitely don't have the card anymore, goodness who does! I lost mine about 28 years ago, when I was about 18 and I dint think they reissue them. But I have still never changed the name "associated" with my NI number and it has presented no troubles at all. UK government does appear to understamd very well that women often change their name when they get married.

Like the Leave banner :amen:

Bermudashorts May 21st 2016 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel (Post 11953513)
Like the Leave banner :amen:

What? :confused:

LondonSquirrel May 22nd 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11953552)
What? :confused:

That is funny, a Leave banner for the EU referendum appeared on your post post. But when I logged in to reply it wasn't there anymore ?

LondonSquirrel May 22nd 2016 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel (Post 11953915)
That is funny, a Leave banner for the EU referendum appeared on your post post. But when I logged in to reply it wasn't there anymore ?

Don't worry, it was probably just like an ad.