Reload this Page >

Help needed V.P.N watch U.K T.V abroad on IPad/P.C

Help needed V.P.N watch U.K T.V abroad on IPad/P.C

Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Scoobydo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed V.P.N watch U.K T.V abroad on IPad/P.C

Help Please!
A virtual private network (VPN) is a technology for using the Internet or another intermediate network to connect computers to isolated remote computer networks that would otherwise be inaccessible.

If you download this example on your IPad or IPhone then you should be able to watch T.V example:BBC I player or other recorded channels.

Apparently it sends a signal to the computer the uk IP address this is how you get to view the UK programmes as it thinks it's being watched from the UK.
This sounds confusing but has anyone tried this?
If anyone has tried this please could they help me out as going on hols soon many thamks
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:41 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed V.P.N watch U.K T.V abroad on IPad/P.C

I use a VPN on a tablet (not Apple) I have an IP addresses for the VPN, I go in to settings and under VPN setting, I give it a name, and enter the IP address. Then when I want to use it, I click connect, enter the username/password for the VPN, click OK. Similar procedure on PC computer, both Windows and Linux. I understand that Appleland is pretty much the same.

I then go to the BBC site in a browser and I can watch the BBC TV shows and radio when it is blocked for overseas broadcast.

Lots of threads on this, lots of recommendation for VPN providers to use, do a search.

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 6th 2012 at 10:43 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of threads...yeah, easy to use.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:03 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Search. VPN is talked about probably every week.

I use Overplay as my VPN provider ($10US a month) but others have tried StrongVPN and frequently folks mention ExpatShield as well. Overplay has an automatic setup for the iPad which is pretty easy if you aren't familiar with how to do it. They also have a program that sits on your desktop and lets you turn on / off the VPN to over 60 countries (so you can watch Canada, Ireland, Australia along with the UK).

But just take a quick search in this forum. It's a very common thing.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
Search. VPN is talked about probably every week.

I use Overplay as my VPN provider ($10US a month) but others have tried StrongVPN and frequently folks mention ExpatShield as well. Overplay has an automatic setup for the iPad which is pretty easy if you aren't familiar with how to do it. They also have a program that sits on your desktop and lets you turn on / off the VPN to over 60 countries (so you can watch Canada, Ireland, Australia along with the UK).

But just take a quick search in this forum. It's a very common thing.
Are you accessing iplayer with this service? Overplay? We've had problems with these types of service in the past but I am thinking sod it, if we sign up and it doesnt work I am only losing a ten spot so, so what.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams View Post
Are you accessing iplayer with this service? Overplay? We've had problems with these types of service in the past but I am thinking sod it, if we sign up and it doesnt work I am only losing a ten spot so, so what.
If your internet is shit to the point that you can't seamlessly watch youtube, using a VPN isn't going to make it better.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
If your internet is shit to the point that you can't seamlessly watch youtube, using a VPN isn't going to make it better.
I guess that's what you get for living in the sodding mid-west.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:22 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I watch iPlayer with Overplay everyday, but as mentioned, if you don't have the bandwidth overseas to begin with a VPN isn't going to make a difference.

While you may have say 10mbps the bandwidth overseas has to be shared with everyone else going overseas so you might get but a fraction of that. BBC iPlayer has the iPlayer Desktop, which lets you download the entire program and then play it back at your leisure (instead of streaming it). This is a MUCH better solution you should consider. Of course you still need a VPN for that.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
I watch iPlayer with Overplay everyday, but as mentioned, if you don't have the bandwidth overseas to begin with a VPN isn't going to make a difference.

While you may have say 10mbps the bandwidth overseas has to be shared with everyone else going overseas so you might get but a fraction of that. BBC iPlayer has the iPlayer Desktop, which lets you download the entire program and then play it back at your leisure (instead of streaming it). This is a MUCH better solution you should consider. Of course you still need a VPN for that.
That what I was aiming to do. Donwload and watch at leisure. We're going to give it a whirl, whats to lose after all? It can get so frustrating when technology doesnt work though.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a VPN for BBC iPlayer.

But you DO need an HTTP proxy. In fact, the Beeb distribute all their content on caches around the world, so provided you have an anonymous HTTP proxy in the UK, then you will find the content will actually come from a cache near you.

This means that if you know what you are doing, you CAN watch BBC HD in the US....
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dlake02 View Post
You don't need a VPN for BBC iPlayer.

But you DO need an HTTP proxy. In fact, the Beeb distribute all their content on caches around the world, so provided you have an anonymous HTTP proxy in the UK, then you will find the content will actually come from a cache near you.

This means that if you know what you are doing, you CAN watch BBC HD in the US....
Erm, so how do you get an http proxy?
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams View Post
Erm, so how do you get an http proxy?
Not to be a smart Alec, but try a Google search of UK http proxy.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Birt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to all

Use Tunnelbear myself - $4.99/month, very easy to setup on pc/mac and iPad (which I use most for iPlayer). Would recommend for ease of setup and use