Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help needed! Driving on H4 visa.

Wikiposts

Help needed! Driving on H4 visa.

Old Apr 29th 2005, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed! Driving on H4 visa.

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I seem to be going round in circles with this, so thought maybe someone here would have the answers I need...

I am under the impression that once you become resident in the US, whether permanent or temporary, you have to get a drivers license within something like 10 days. Can anyone verify that?

I rang the Ca DMV and asked how I get a license without a social security number and was told that I can't. I was also told that I could continue driving on my UK license, but this contradicts the info which I thought I "knew" (see above). I don't really trust the person I spoke to at the DMV because they sounded like a total hick (sorry )

Is anyone driving on an H4 in California? Know anyone who is? Know how to get a ruddy drivers license? It would make the car insurance much cheaper, plus I don't want to wait until I'm stopped by a cop before I find out that I'm driving illegally. :scared:
We went through this SS# crap with Woodsey. The DMV in Pasenda were just tossers. You just have to argue and they will give a permit as long as you show you have a visa. The 10 day rule is a fact but everyone ignores it in CA. We took our tests after about 5 weeks and no-one said a thing. As other posters have said though the UK licence is not worth the paper its printed on here and a CA license is the form of id. We also found that we could not buy or insure a car without CA license, I guess Manc knows best on this.
I have to say the DMV is by far the worst govt organisation I have ever dealt with (and I've worked in Italy !!!) they dont know their own rules and our first visit was a 3 hour nightmare but you gotta grin and bear it ! use your best Helen Mirren accent ...they love it
Old Apr 29th 2005, 7:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I have to say the DMV is by far the worst govt organisation I have ever dealt with (and I've worked in Italy !!!) they dont know their own rules and our first visit was a 3 hour nightmare
but you gotta grin and bear it ! ....[/quote]
Bit like USCIS then...
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:05 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I've been watching the banner ads. It all makes sense now. Something about DMV staff and getting a free iPod.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:07 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Had the same problem when we first came to NC. In the end I had to take a letter from the SS explaining why I couldn't be issued with a social security number, that along with visa/passport to prove legal residency and was then issued my license.

Sue

I seem to be going round in circles with this, so thought maybe someone here would have the answers I need...

I am under the impression that once you become resident in the US, whether permanent or temporary, you have to get a drivers license within something like 10 days. Can anyone verify that?

I rang the Ca DMV and asked how I get a license without a social security number and was told that I can't. I was also told that I could continue driving on my UK license, but this contradicts the info which I thought I "knew" (see above). I don't really trust the person I spoke to at the DMV because they sounded like a total hick (sorry )

Is anyone driving on an H4 in California? Know anyone who is? Know how to get a ruddy drivers license? It would make the car insurance much cheaper, plus I don't want to wait until I'm stopped by a cop before I find out that I'm driving illegally. :scared:
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:18 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

That's brilliant! Thanks a million

Just goes to show that Average Joe who answers the phone at the DMV has stuff all idea what they're talking about
Been out all morning and just saw your post. I'm in the same boat, i.e. H4 in CA. As someone else has said you need to get a letter from the Social Secuity office to say that you are not entitled to a SS #. The DMV will then issue with a CA licence (after you've passed the test, of course... - but that bit is dead easy ).

And you are quite right: the Average Joe at the DMV doesn't have a clue. If you hit problems, insist on speaking to a supervisor.

If your local DMV is like ours, make an appointment at the DMV online - otherwise you could wait an hour or more. (No such service for the SS office, unfortunately, AFAIK...)

I've just had a bit off hassle renewing my licence, but got it in the end because, after initial confusion and mix-up, I managed to speak to someone who was willing to help.

Good luck!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:45 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for your help on this - it's been invaluable

I'll speak to the SS next week and get an appointment with DMV.

Cheers, guys!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

jockf is an unknown quantity at this point

We had an unbelievable time at the DMV. Was told by the woman at the direction desk that we were unable to sit our drivers test without having a green card in your hand. We then went a week later to try chance our arm as people told us it was bull and we could sit. So we went back and was forwarded to a supervisor. We spoke with her and it was like banging our heads of a brick wall. She wouldnt even look at our passports with all the correct stamps!!! She then told us we needed to go to the Immigration office for a different stamp.......We asked where the nearest office was and she walked off. We waited for 20 mins before she returned and said "oh I was to get that address for you wasnt I" Well I just had to leave before I lept the counter. To cut a long story short we then went to another DMV just down the road!!! yep you guessed it straight in and straight to the test no questions asked. Finally passed a couple of days ago!!!! seems like the DMV have different rules for different locations. Try another!!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 3:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Autoblog.com last week was running the byline "And I hath seen hell, and it's name is the DMV"... and that's coming from Americans trying to renew their existing driving licenses!

Our experience was that in Dallas they knew that certain visas were not entitled to an SSN, and accepted my wife formally swearing to them (rather than informally swearing at them) that she was not entitled to an SSN. After that they took a quick look at her H4 visa and let her take the test.

In Texas you may drive for 30 days on an out-of-state license if you're American, but can drive for a full year on a foreign drivers license for some reason... although most people wouldn't be as stupid as we were and pay $$$ for car insurance rather than take the damned test!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jockf
We had an unbelievable time at the DMV. Was told by the woman at the direction desk that we were unable to sit our drivers test without having a green card in your hand. We then went a week later to try chance our arm as people told us it was bull and we could sit. So we went back and was forwarded to a supervisor. We spoke with her and it was like banging our heads of a brick wall. She wouldnt even look at our passports with all the correct stamps!!! She then told us we needed to go to the Immigration office for a different stamp.......We asked where the nearest office was and she walked off. We waited for 20 mins before she returned and said "oh I was to get that address for you wasnt I" Well I just had to leave before I lept the counter. To cut a long story short we then went to another DMV just down the road!!! yep you guessed it straight in and straight to the test no questions asked. Finally passed a couple of days ago!!!! seems like the DMV have different rules for different locations. Try another!!
see my earler post LA DMV ! hells spawn - where are you ?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

My first try was the DMV at Fullerton then finally took the test at Westminster which is about a 30 min drive but worth it.

see my earler post LA DMV ! hells spawn - where are you ?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My first try was the DMV at Fullerton then finally took the test at Westminster which is about a 30 min drive but worth it.
All the DMV's have different rules, it is like dealing with different countries.

Some I have seen are very specific as to Visa status and what you need etc.

I do not know how you would fair in Colorado as a H4, they probably would issue you a license to the expiry of your Visa, but you can drive here indefinitely if you are a visitor on your foreign license.

I did drive in CA over the New Year, guess I could show either UK or US if needed.

I have used my UK License for ID, blank looks but not a problem.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

.. do you live down there ? nice pub in Fullerton if I remember
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Live in Anaheim but yes there are a few good pubs up in Fullerton. The olde ship an english run pub and a Brannigans too. It gets well busy on the weekend with students!!!!

.. do you live down there ? nice pub in Fullerton if I remember
Old May 6th 2005, 9:13 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference, in case it helps anyone...

I rang the DMV back, ended up speaking to someone who seemed to know what she was talking about (in other words, she told me what I wanted to hear), and she made me an appointment for my written test and told me that all I needed was my passport - no letter from SS or anything - and $25.

I went in today, signed the bit on the form that said I was not entitled to a social security number, showed my passport - no questions asked, took the written test and got.....

..... wait for it......

..... 36 out of 36

Practical test next Friday. I have a temporary license and everything. Totally hassle free!
Old May 6th 2005, 10:14 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

..... 36 out of 36
So, you did better than this guy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4447925.stm

"After five years and 271 attempts to pass the theoretical part of his driving test, it was 272nd time lucky for South Korean Seo Sang-moon."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.