British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help moving to Florida from Connecticut (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-moving-florida-connecticut-286461/)

joreidy Feb 25th 2005 2:07 am

Help moving to Florida

I am currently living in Connecticut and looking to move to Florida....I moved from England in January of 2000.

I am 33 and have worked primarily in administration (financial services mainly). The logistix of securing/attending interviews is difficult....

If anyone has any suggestions or can help, please let me know.....

many thanks.....

joanne :)

Manc Feb 25th 2005 3:01 am

Re: From Connecticut to Florida

Originally Posted by joreidy
[COLOR=DarkRed]I am currently living in Connecticut and looking to move to Florida....I moved from England in January of 2000.

I am 33 and have worked primarily in administration (financial services mainly). The logistix of securing/attending interviews is difficult....

many thanks.....

I suspect an airplane or a car works best.
That should help in getting you to interviews.

NC Penguin Feb 25th 2005 3:35 am

[COLOR=DarkRed]I am currently living in Connecticut and looking to move to Florida....I moved from England in January of 2000.

many thanks.....

Do you think it's your resume that's letting you down? Maybe you need to work on that.

Search and read threads on resume writing in the USA forum for tips. For differences in salaries between two locations, look at www.salary.com for your kind of position. It's my understanding that salaries are lower in FL because the cost of living is lower and there is no state income tax.

Based on the info provided, you'd probably not get any relocation expenses paid for for your move either.

NC Penguin

Patrick Feb 25th 2005 3:38 am

Re: Help moving to Florida

I am currently living in Connecticut and looking to move to Florida. If anyone has any suggestions or can help, please let me know.....

many thanks.....

Take the I-95 (South bound)

Ray Feb 25th 2005 3:38 am

Brush up on your spelling ....its logistics

joreidy Feb 25th 2005 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Brush up on your spelling ....its logistics

Ooops.....

By the way.....it's logistics

Manc Feb 25th 2005 12:53 pm

Ooops.....

By the way.....it's logistics

you can excuse Raymond, He's old.

Manc Feb 25th 2005 12:54 pm

Re: Help moving to Florida from Connecticut

and grumpy

Lion in Winter Feb 25th 2005 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
and grumpy

and on nicotine withdrawal.

TRPardoe Feb 25th 2005 1:54 pm

Re: Help moving to Florida

I am currently living in Connecticut and looking to move to Florida....I moved from England in January of 2000.

many thanks.....

My experiences, and my wife's, of moving here from Manhattan is that FL employers are very sceptical of inquiries from out-of-state. So many people think that they want to move to FL and never do that employers are swamped with worthless applications.

It is much easier to get interviews if you have a FL address, but having said that it can be very hard for the first one or two years even after you get here.

Everything isn't rosy in Paradise.

TouristTrap Feb 25th 2005 4:34 pm

Salaries are horrid compared to other states. It's not unusual for a bookkeeper with many years' experience for example, to earn $12/15 an hr after many years in the company.

The drivers are the worst, but then again, you're looking at an average age of 95 :p or so..... when in FL learn to count to five BEFORE you pull out on a green light (learned that pretty quickly). Nobody will blow the horn, excepting for out-of-staters.

Hurricanes (doesn't bother me, but I'm an old hand), bugs some.

Snowbirds? dears come down and cause havoc for six months out of a year.

Bugs? bugs and more bugs. Do a google on palmetto bugs. You'll get very familiar with these critters before too long.

There is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE in this state. Want a plumber/carpenter/electrician? be prepared to learn how to fix it yourself, because the competent ones are few and far between and charge an arm and a leg, and rightfully so! Get used to being 'stood up' without so much as a phone call by tradespeople.

Its probably the most transient state in the union. Folk move in and out of here all the time, mainly for economic reasons. Everyone thinks the cost of living is low here, but groceries for example, are much higher than many other states. I've had friends move to TX and earn 3 times as much as they were earning here.

But for all that, the pluses of living here, outweigh the negatives by far! There is nowhere else in the world I'd rather live :)

snowbunny Feb 25th 2005 9:30 pm

WHY is there such an attraction to Florida? Okay, it's warm in winter, but that's about the best I can say for it.