Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help! I'm running out of tea bags!

Help! I'm running out of tea bags!

Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:17 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help! I'm running out of tea bags!

Just started to panic. Brought (quick maths) 660 over just before Xmas and now running low. Luckily I have a work colleague travelling over in a week-and-a-half who has said he's bringing me some. Found myself in the kitchen at the crack of dawn counting out what's left and dividing them by the number of days until he arrives and asking myself if I can survive on an average of 6 cups a day...

Am I losing it...? Of course, this situation would never arise in the UK. Do I really need (or even ever drink) 6 cups of tea in a bleedin' day or is it more about viewing my dwindling supply as a vanishing thread connecting me to homeland?

My wife's German and she seems to treat chocolate in a similar way (although she'd never admit it). One square at a time gets removed from the Milka chocolate mountain...

Last edited by tonrob; Jun 8th 2007 at 10:38 am.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:26 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! I'm running out of tea bags!

Originally Posted by tonrob
Just started to panic. Brought (quick maths) 660 over just before Xmas and now running low. Luckily I have a work colleagues travelling over in a week-and-a-half who has said he's bringing me some. Found myself in the kitchen at the crack of dawn counting out what's left and dividing them by the number of days until he arrives and asking myself if I can survive on an average of 6 cups a day...

Am I losing it...? Of course, this situation would never arise in the UK. Do I really need (or even ever drink) 6 cups of tea in a bleedin' day or is it more about viewing my dwindling supply as a vanishing thread connecting me to homeland?

My wife's German and she seems to treat chocolate in a similar way (although she'd never admit it). One square at a time gets removed from the Milka chocolate mountain...
Hi

I can sympathise with you on this. When I lived in Hong Kong I packed about 5 large (1660 per bag) catering packs of Tetley Tea bags to take with me

I had family bring some out and also to post some over when I started running low. We were only there for 3 and a bit years and towards then end I got lucky and there was a shop started importing them. It was almost an hours journey to get there, but well worth it.

I m VERY lucky they have Tetley out here in OZ, I can just imagine trying to get someone to post some out here No way would customs let that in LOL

Hope you get some teabags soon!

Shirley
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Why dont you just buy some more? There are a number of shops around me that sell PG tips, Tetley, Typhoo and Twinnings, all English versions. I'm sure it can't be that different where you are.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Just started to panic. Brought (quick maths) 660 over just before Xmas and now running low. Luckily I have a work colleague travelling over in a week-and-a-half who has said he's bringing me some. Found myself in the kitchen at the crack of dawn counting out what's left and dividing them by the number of days until he arrives and asking myself if I can survive on an average of 6 cups a day...

No you're not losing it lol. I'm just the same in Doha about my Tetley! Occasionally when they are about it costs me 3 quid for 40 bags!

Im a five - ten cup a day gal

What brand are you addicted to? I found Tetley's, Twinnings, and PG in my local (shit) supermarket when in the States too.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tetley's British Brand can be found at most supermarkets.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:33 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Just brought 2 Giant Bags of PG TIPS containing 1,160 tea bags each. Price was $19.44 at Costco.

Oh, I'm in the UK visiting

Also brought a giant tub of Marmite - YUMMY for $8 and 2 large boxes of OXO cubes...

After a trip to Marks and Spencers and seeing all their fresh, Indian, Chinese, Deli's foods etc., I'm so jealous of THIS part of the UK. The USA supermarkets suck... M&S food selection would make a mint in the USA...
Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Tetley's British Brand can be found at most supermarkets.
Yep!,Jersey's right,I rarely drink tea,but my husband rarely drinks any coffee,he loved PG Tips,but then I found Tetley British Blend in walmart,and he prefers them now,I like them as well when I do drink tea,I think they're very similar to PG Tips,just not as strong.....Hubby drinks a pint at a time!....neither of us will touch American tea,and he's a USC!,I got him hooked on tea (made the English way) when I met him in the UK.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:38 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I got inot the US habit of a pint of fresh coffee in the mornings, but since my last trip home I've switched over to tea and I'm almost back to UK levels
I think the "monkey" (from ITV digital) campaign did it for me!

Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:54 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get the tea locally you can go online, here is a list of places, you can buy British bacon on line too, included in this list

http://www.britsintheus.com/foods.htm
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:09 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I got inot the US habit of a pint of fresh coffee in the mornings, but since my last trip home I've switched over to tea and I'm almost back to UK levels
I think the "monkey" (from ITV digital) campaign did it for me!

http://www.nigelplaskitt.com/pics/mo...johnny%20w.jpg
I feel home sick now Johnny Vegas is from my home town. More over I miss really good commercials
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:53 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thydney
I feel home sick now Johnny Vegas is from my home town. More over I miss really good commercials
I have to admit that after seeing the first one I collected the rest of Monkey's on bittorrent.
I never thought I'd miss adverts!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:10 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Occasionally when they are about it costs me 3 quid for 40 bags!
That's the thing. Round here, one the occasions I've found proper tea, it's always in expensive little 40 bag packs. The size of my tea habit it'd cost a fortune! I know - if I want it that much I can always pay these prices, or indeed shop online (and I will do either/both if I have to).

But surely it can't taste quite the same if you didn't actually buy it from Tescos....?
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Why dont you just buy some more? There are a number of shops around me that sell PG tips, Tetley, Typhoo and Twinnings, all English versions. I'm sure it can't be that different where you are.
bloody expensive in Mass though.

Amazon.com aren't to expensive, and if your ever up in Maine, Freeport has a great little Brit store that has them cheap, and other stuff
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

What I would suggest for y'all who don't have it at your local supermarket, is to maybe speak to the manager every time you go in and ask them to try it out. Most of them are very open to suggestions and will stock an item for a while and see if it sells.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:40 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I just got 4 boxes of pg tips 160 in a box from amazon.com. You qualify for free shipping as well. Only cost $26 or thereabouts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.