British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HELP!! I want to live in the UK!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-i-want-live-uk-105859/)

boymanstar Dec 1st 2001 12:51 am

If any British citizens can help me I would deeply appreciate it. I've wanted to reside in London for nearly ten years now, but the whole work visa thing has been stopping me. I worry about being able to get ANY sort of job. I understand it is nearly impossible to get a work visa for a "9 to 5" type job. I am willing to work in bars/pubs or clean houses, that type thing, but even the ability to get that sort of work worries me.
Does anyone know of any Americans who do that sort of thing? Is is as easy to find work as I've heard?
Additionally, I'm concerned about being deported. How often do honest Americans working in England illegally get caught?
I know my intentions are frowned upon by immigration law, but I really want to be part of England. I'm really into the British music scene (I play music), I love Futbol/Soccer, I dig English fashion and accents and I would like to meet a nice British girl.

If anyone can help....please

Al Howard Dec 1st 2001 11:38 am

>

What one might call a classic oxymoron

Steve

Jonathan Lyng Dec 2nd 2001 1:37 pm

funny issue there... I really wonder if you will get caught..and if you do, will you
be kicked out? it's maybe quite sad to think in such a way, but I doubt a white
american will face huge immigration problems in england if no crimes are commited in
England or have been comited while in the US... The legal way to do things would be
to get a summer job in the UK (you'll find books with listings of job offers on UK
library sites), get the short time visa then try to convince your bar tender to work
for him as a year round employee...

"boymanstar" [email protected]...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Paul And Holly Dec 2nd 2001 3:06 pm

I'm an American living in England, and I don't think it's all its cracked up to be
quite honestly. I love English culture, music, towns and people, but the taxes are
outrageous. I live ina one bedroom TINY apartment with my husband... it's like an
efficiency. I pay about $400 a month for the tiniest apartment you have ever seen,
and I pay $100 a month tax for the priviledge! The bigger the apartment, the more you
pay in 'council tax'. Plus income tax, which is going up soon. The weather is
horrible and houses are so expensive I don't think I will ever be able to buy one!
And then there's petrol (gas)... it's about $5 per gallon and that's the cheapest
it's been in ages! So you see, the problem won't be getting into England, but
managing to make a living here. i plan to move back to the states ASAP, and I've only
been here a year. My husband is british, so I have a different visa than you would.
You really need to see these sites: www.britain-info.org and
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/hpg.htm One is the British Embassy in New York and
the other is the home office in the UK... That's where I got all my info and the
forms to send for my visa.. I sent for my visa and got it within 3 days without even
being interviewed. There are alot of immigrants working over here so if you really
want it, you'll find a way. Best of luck.

H

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Jb Dec 3rd 2001 5:47 pm

boymanstar wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

[ ... ]
    >
    >

I don't think any statistics like this are published. The numbers don't matter
anyway. It's illegal and there's no point in it.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Go to university, earn a degree in a subject that is required here and try to get a
work permit (you'll need experience in the field though since work permits aren't
given to new graduates). Or, meet a British woman and get a visa that way. But don't
come here and work illegally. It's not worth it. You will either eventually be caught
or your 'lifestyle' will quickly degrade into something you don't like.

Paisano De Varsovia Dec 4th 2001 7:56 pm

To Paul & Holly:

FYI. Just a minor correction. There is no British Embassy in New York City. All
"embassies" representing each country, are in Washington,
D.C. However, there is a British Consulate in New York City & there are other
British "consulates" in other US cities, too. There are embassies & than, there
are consulates. Both are equally important, but do have different functions.