Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help, I don't understand medical insurance

Help, I don't understand medical insurance

Old May 3rd 2013, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, I don't understand medical insurance

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You can. Call your insurance company and go through the prior authorization department.
It was the authorization department that gave three different prices. None of which actually matched what the policy document stated (I only discovered that recently).
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:15 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melly
What the heck is a "Children's Counsellor" for gods sake???? If he needs "emotional" healing, I'll do it.....because I'm his Mum!!!
Nothing personal, but they routinely check for child abuse. I had a friend whose son got in quite a pitched battle with another boy at school, including a nice obvious black eye. She tried cleaning him up a bit before she brought him in to be checked out, and some idiot evidently thought she was trying to cover for something. Until they checked with the school, they were eyeing her with a certain amount of obvious suspicion.
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:57 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melly
What the heck is a "Children's Counsellor" for gods sake???? If he needs "emotional" healing, I'll do it.....because I'm his Mum!!! By the time you have finished; Orthopedics, Neurology, and maybe Plastic surgery have "popped" their head in for a look!!!
The Childrens Counsellor turned out to be a lady who followed the doctor around translating the doctor speak into language a 4 year old would understand. My 11 year old pretty soon got sick of it, and very politely told her "Its OK - I know what the doctors talking about"! Good boy - there's an extra grand or so for your college fund

We also came across a new form of anaesthetic yesterday - he was told he would be on a morphine drip, would have 4 or 5 local injections but they would start with "digital anaesthetic". I'd never heard of that, but thought busted hand - "digital" - must be something to do with fingers. But no, we found that having been fired as the childrens counselor, the same lady was reincarnated as a "digital anaesthetist". In another age she may have been called a book stand. Basically, she stood there with an ipad and held it at the correct angle so he could play Minecraft with his left hand while they worked on his right hand! Silly though it sounds, I have to admit it worked pretty well in distracting him from what else was going on - he didn't even realize when they put the IV line in, or any of the injections, or any of the subsequent work. He was totally engrossed in his game. I do wonder what the bill for that little role will be though....
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:01 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
The Childrens Counsellor turned out to be a lady who followed the doctor around translating the doctor speak into language a 4 year old would understand. My 11 year old pretty soon got sick of it, and very politely told her "Its OK - I know what the doctors talking about"! Good boy - there's an extra grand or so for your college fund

We also came across a new form of anaesthetic yesterday - he was told he would be on a morphine drip, would have 4 or 5 local injections but they would start with "digital anaesthetic". I'd never heard of that, but thought busted hand - "digital" - must be something to do with fingers. But no, we found that having been fired as the childrens counselor, the same lady was reincarnated as a "digital anaesthetist". In another age she may have been called a book stand. Basically, she stood there with an ipad and held it at the correct angle so he could play Minecraft with his left hand while they worked on his right hand! Silly though it sounds, I have to admit it worked pretty well in distracting him from what else was going on - he didn't even realize when they put the IV line in, or any of the injections, or any of the subsequent work. He was totally engrossed in his game. I do wonder what the bill for that little role will be though....
Hilarious, good for your son! I suppose the iPad was the "digital anesthesia". Priceless.
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Bad thread to be reading while I'm sitting in ER with my 11 yo who managed to crunch his fingers between his bike handlebars and a wall on the way to school this morning (2.30 now and just got back from x-rays...hardly moving at light speed here....). we're at the children's hospital and he's just had a visit from the children's counsellor telling him what's going on. Can't help wondering how much that little chat cost.... And I'm counting how many rubber gloves they use

But, in terms of asking how much this is going to cost, realistically, how can I find out? His hands a right mess..tHey have no idea what is broken, whether he's going to need surgery, etc etc. So they basically have me hostage...obviously we will do whatever is needed, then in a few weeks they'll decide whether they take an arm, leg or firstborn, I'll argue a bit, they'll set a Rottweiler from billing on me and it'll all get unpleasant. Can't wait....
Hope it wasn't anything too nasty. Good luck little Yorkie.
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for dragging this OT.

Getting back on topic (or at least close to), my insurance experience yesterday:

1) At our renewal we took out an accidental injury rider - additional $50 a month to pay the first 1000 of any ER visits, no max number of visits per year). Given our very high deductible (now 11900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and looking at our last 5 years history, this would have paid for itself in 4 of the 5 years, so we took it. That was in March, and I've called 4 times to ask where the written confirmaiton was - they've taken the payments, but no paperwork was forthcoming. Yesterday when I called Humana before I took the chap to ER, they denied we had that coverage. Over an hour on the phone, and they finally agreed that we did indeed have the coverage.

2) At the ER check in - "are you in Network with Humana?"...."Oh yeah sugar, we're good with everyone" How reassuring.

3) We only saw 2 doctors, 1 nurse and the "Childrens counselor/digital anaesthetist". One doctor confirmed they were In Network. One doctor didn't know, so suggested checking at the front desk, ditto for the nurse, and the Childrens Counsellor looked confused and asked if I'd like a coloring book. So I checked with the same lady at the front desk - "I told you honey, we're all good with Humana here, just chill and look after your baby". Err, Okay....

4) As I left, I asked if they could give me an idea of the bill - no, that'll go to my insurance company in 7-10 business days. Presumably it takes that long to count how many tissues and rubber gloves they used, not to mention whether my son blew their download limit on Minecraft....

I'm guessing we blew through our deductible yesterday, so now we've got to get all our "bad health" stuff in in the next 6 months to get our VFM before the decuctible resets. I'm thinking a heart attack next month will give me enough recovery time to go skiing and break a few legs at Thanksgiving, and I'm going to kick it all off with a visit to a little "hole in the wall" Indian tomorrow and see if we can get a family discount on food poisoning
Old May 3rd 2013, 6:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

she stood there with an ipad
Bet you've paid for the iPad
Old May 3rd 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Bet you've paid for the iPad
iPads all round more like.....
Old May 5th 2013, 2:33 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Also you have to stay on top of what is covered and what isn't. It can change from day to day (literally! LOL)

For 4 years in a row, I got doctor's-ordered custom orthodics. I paid $20 for the doctor visit (co-pay), and that was it. Everything else, including the cost of the actual orthodics, was covered 100% by my insurance. So I go in to my next yearly appointment, pay the $20 co-pay, get my feet fitted again, and order the custom orthodics. They come in, I wear them, then I get a notice saying I owe the doctor $400 because my insurance denied coverage on the orthodics! After calling and investigating, it seems my insurance dropped coverage of orthodics, even "prescription" ones. Ugh. I said how was I supposed to know that?? My insurance said "you're supposed to check your plan before having anything done". Ugh again.

So my doctor cut me a break on that one and discounted the cost for me, somewhat. After that, I just re-order the same item without getting fitted again, as that's cheaper than getting re-fitted. I have to pay out of pocket for those, now, which comes to around $250 a year.

Rene
My insurance used to cover orthotics but it no longer does. One of my customers is an office manager for a podiatrist. She said most insurance companies will not cover orthotics anymore.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone is an expert on this stuff and I am currently reviewing my insurance perhaps I can get some input.

Currently:

Group plan through BCBSIL (BluePrint PPO)
Me+spouse+sprog (1yr old)
Premium $1075 pm (actually $1597 but the company chips in)
$1500 deductible
100/80 coinsurance
$0 max out of pocket
(in network numbers)

Ok, it's good coverage but pricey. So I'm wondering what the local BCBSAZ offers (my office is headquartered in IL before you ask).

Individual plan through BCBSAZ (Blue Optimum Plus)
Me+spouse+sprog (1 yr old)
Premium $790 pm (preferred rate so may go up when we actually apply)
$1000 deductible
80/20 coinsurance
$2500 max out of pocket
(in network numbers)

I could opt for a $3000 deductible and only pay $541 a month.

I think office copays are a little more $30 instead of $20 and Rx start at $15/40 not $10/20 woohoo. What else am I missing apart from the extra cash I might have in my pocket each month?
Old May 9th 2013, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
As everyone is an expert on this stuff and I am currently reviewing my insurance perhaps I can get some input.

Currently:

Group plan through BCBSIL (BluePrint PPO)
Me+spouse+sprog (1yr old)
Premium $1075 pm (actually $1597 but the company chips in)
$1500 deductible
100/80 coinsurance
$0 max out of pocket
(in network numbers)

Ok, it's good coverage but pricey. So I'm wondering what the local BCBSAZ offers (my office is headquartered in IL before you ask).

Individual plan through BCBSAZ (Blue Optimum Plus)
Me+spouse+sprog (1 yr old)
Premium $790 pm (preferred rate so may go up when we actually apply)
$1000 deductible
80/20 coinsurance
$2500 max out of pocket
(in network numbers)

I could opt for a $3000 deductible and only pay $541 a month.

I think office copays are a little more $30 instead of $20 and Rx start at $15/40 not $10/20 woohoo. What else am I missing apart from the extra cash I might have in my pocket each month?
Never get an individual policy if you have a group plan available. You're just too vulnerable with the former to pre-existing condition exclusions, policy increases and getting dumped altogether if you get sick. Things ought to change once the ACA comes into force, but I certainly wouldn't jump to an individual policy until the dust is settled.
Old May 9th 2013, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Never get an individual policy if you have a group plan available. You're just too vulnerable with the former to pre-existing condition exclusions, policy increases and getting dumped altogether if you get sick. Things ought to change once the ACA comes into force, but I certainly wouldn't jump to an individual policy until the dust is settled.
That's a good point, but on the assumption that the group plan might not be available and I had to change policy. What are your thoughts?
Old May 9th 2013, 10:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

80/20 is a bit rough....if it were just you, probably doable, but with a sprog, they're prone to fall over, get a fever, all kinds of illnesses when hanging out with other people.
Old May 10th 2013, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...ce=rsshomemiss

An interesting article comparing actual rates with chargemaster rates.

I had not heard this term before, seems appropriate.