Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help, I don't understand medical insurance

Help, I don't understand medical insurance

Old May 1st 2013, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help, I don't understand medical insurance

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Hah! The new plan lists the same service twice - one at "no cost"; the other at $50 copay.

And that was wrong too (including my mistake). I was quoted anything from $2500 upwards to $30 copay. After the 3rd time of calling them it turns out the $2500 applied to general anaesthetic; the $30 for a standard day procedure. But the plan says $250. The new plan says $50 in one section and free in another section. Just one example of how you can't get a cost up front for a routine procedure.
This is the one thing that chaps my hide! You can never get a straight answer as far as pricing goes. And as someone said earlier - who orders a service without an idea of what they are gonna be on the hook for?
Old May 1st 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's easy to check out if a doctor is in network or not. Even with a HMO you can still see a doctor at the ER who is not in network. There is no end of people you may see or tests you may have that your insurance will not cover.
I'm sure you are right. But I have had a PPO in the past and always found it to be worse on those plans than the HMOs I've had over the last few years.

I do wonder if there'll be a day when the right hand knows what the left hand is doing as far as medical insurance goes - I suspect not!
Old May 1st 2013, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
60 votes to get a change through the Senate so it will be tough...The basic tenets of Obamacare are here to stay imo: no discrimination on those with pre-existing conditions, no dropping people because they get sick, insuring young adult children etc.
I agree entirely, I was thinking more about the administration of the process, for example, and not least, how all the participants in a procedure get to bill separately. If I hire a general contractor to build an extension to my house, I get one estimate and one bill,.... I am not going to get a bill from the foundation digger, the framer, the plumber, electrician, painter, etc. so why do medical professionals all bill individually? It's not even like I was given any choice about which anesthetist I wanted when I had an operation.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 1st 2013 at 6:14 pm.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus
..... - who orders a service without an idea of what they are gonna be on the hook for?
You know the answer there, .... we all do!
Old May 1st 2013, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Interesting that Congress is trying to excuse itself from Obamacare, would that include the Administration as well?
A rather misleading explanation of the situation:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z7
Old May 1st 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait for ICD-10. Billing will be interesting.
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:07 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well after nearly 6 pages I am even more lost then I was on the 1st post
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A rather misleading explanation of the situation:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z7
That refers to something else, here you go:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...des-90610.html
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Well after nearly 6 pages I am even more lost then I was on the 1st post
Should we just tell new enquirers that it's a fun lottery for US residents?
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
That refers to something else, here you go:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...des-90610.html
No, it refers to the same thing.
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:32 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Should we just tell new enquirers that it's a fun lottery for US residents?
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

CPT (Current Procedural Terminology)codes Vs ICD coding are what determines how much will be paid for a medical service. This is the code you should be watching for, if you want to know how much you/the insurance company will be paying. CPT determines services rendered Vs diagnosis named on the claim. You can google CPT codes after you get your bill, (you will probably have to request a break down of the services) and if you feel something was billed that wasn't delivered, dispute it. I avoided a huge ER bill by closely watching what services were delivered to my son, when I thought he had appendicitis. I knew 10 mins into the exam that I had over-reacted. The Doc wanted to run IVs, do a scan, but I said "No" thank you! I do have some medical training, so felt confident in my decision. When the bill came I asked for the break down of the CPT codes ( I was cynical & thought they probably billed me for the IV, at least) but they didn't. Anyhoo, it pays to have some knowledge, and question things if you have any doubts. I use CPT codes everyday in my work, so I know some codes are reimbursed higher than others. As for the predicated 40% hike in premiums, I just don't see how the economy can sustain that. Ins will be out of reach......period!!!! People will be staking out hospital ERs. Anyone seen "John Q" ?
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it refers to the same thing.
My Link

Congressional leaders in both parties are engaged in high-level, confidential talks about exempting lawmakers and Capitol Hill aides from the insurance exchanges they are mandated to join as part of President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul, sources in both parties said.

The talks — which involve Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), the Obama administration and other top lawmakers — are extraordinarily sensitive, with both sides acutely aware of the potential for political fallout from giving carve-outs from the hugely controversial law to 535 lawmakers and thousands of their aides. Discussions have stretched out for months, sources said.
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melly
CPT (Current Procedural Terminology)codes Vs ICD coding are what determines how much will be paid for a medical service. This is the code you should be watching for, if you want to know how much you/the insurance company will be paying.
You really need to look at both since a CPT code is only valid for certain ICD-9 codes or the ICD-9 code will dictate the rate a CPT code is paid at. There are also other factors such as age and sex and modifiers that are placed on the codes and each insurance company applies them differently. The most common issue I've found is a doctors office not using the correct preventive care CPT/ICD-9 combination so it gets processed as a standard office visit rather than a preventive care visit. That means I get a bill rather than it be covered 100% by insurance and is really annoying to sort out.
Old May 2nd 2013, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you're meant to understand how royally gipped you get by these people?

More often than not if you question a bill they'll give you a smaller one. This tells me the billers have no clue what they're doing either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.